Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zurich to Wengen by train, anyone done this?

Poster: A snowHead
Travel company have given us a Swiss Transfer ticket as the Geneva flight was full, so Heathrow to Zurich. Seems we change at Bern and Interlaken. Any hints on making the journey stress free, it seems we have quite short (6 mins) between changes? Also I assume Saturday travel in mid March will have lots of peeps on the train so concerned about luggage and where best to board at front, middle or rear of train. Any advice appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@garystarling, I've done a couple of transfers using the Swiss Transfer ticket and found it stress free. All the trains I've used haven't had buffet facilities, so I've taken snacks and drinks on board bought at the airport. I've only done it from Geneva, so I don't know what's available at Zurich. There's always been plenty of luggage space available. You're not restricted to certain trains using the transfer ticket, just make sure you write on the ticket the date when you start your journey. Good luck.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We transferred to Wengen from Geneva, changing bern and Interlaken, then the little train up the hill from lauterbrunnen. All worked like Swiss clockwork. Until the return journey when a delay meant we were due to miss our Geneva train! The guard was horrified, rang ahead and delayed the Geneva train by a couple of minutes for us! Unreal service. Try that on first great western. Trains were lovely and the stations easy to negotiate.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes: have done it in summer: all very smooth. Don't worry about trains being late -- Swiss railways run to stereotype. (I once planned a different journey myself and was worried about an 8 min change at Basel so made it 68 mins instead: turns out we'd have made it the change with over 7 mins to spare.)

Suitcases can be checked through on the trains in Switzerland, although you'd need to look into timings to ensure you;d get baggage the same day at Wengen (I guess ask the travel company.) Luggage space on trains depends on which service you have: Zurich to Bern will presumably be intercity so plenty, but Bern to Interlaken Ost could be regional or intercity -- there was plenty of space but I remember being a bit in the way with cases on a regional train, but no more so than the backpackers.

Interlaken Ost -- and Lauterbrunnen for the final cog section -- aren't big enough to worry about transfer time and even Bern isn't huge.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We did this about 12 years ago, so this may be a bit out of date! It was fine in terms of connections. But the luggage arrived the next morning. We were warned of this, but we had to survive on hand luggage for the first day.

On the return journey, we headed back early and spent a couple of hours wandering around Zurich before heading to the airport.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
garystarling wrote:
Travel company have given us a Swiss Transfer ticket as the Geneva flight was full, so Heathrow to Zurich. Seems we change at Bern and Interlaken. Any hints on making the journey stress free, it seems we have quite short (6 mins) between changes? Also I assume Saturday travel in mid March will have lots of peeps on the train so concerned about luggage and where best to board at front, middle or rear of train. Any advice appreciated.

Like someone said, make sure you write the date on the ticket before you get on the train. You could download the Swiss Rail app and it`ll give you the platform numbers for when you change trains. There`s really nothing to worry about. I`ve been to Switzerland the last 4 years and never been on a late train yet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@garystarling, Did this exact route in January. Could not be easier.
The first two train changes were adjoining platforms and the final transfer a really simple subway.
As mentioned above you can get luggage delivered/checked in at final destination. This might not be practical going out (as it's likely to be next day) but coming home it was a delight to check our luggage at Mürren station (yes, the one up there on the mountain) pre 17:00 the evening before travel - keeping hand luggage for change of smalls/washout etc - and to not see it until arrival at Heathrow!
Will def do this again! Enjoy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andyman wrote:
...but coming home it was a delight to check our luggage at Mürren station (yes, the one up there on the mountain) pre 17:00 the evening before travel - keeping hand luggage for change of smalls/washout etc - and to not see it until arrival at Heathrow!

That must have been particularly welcome for you not having to haul around your luggage as I seem to recall that you'd buggered your ankle whilst out there! wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Alastair Pink, ha ha yes - a double bonus Very Happy

Although to be honest I did have the lovely @lucinda.s to push the luggage trolley Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@andyman, is right. Did this to Grindelwald and the change at Bern is simple, cross the platform and the first train is the right train to Interlaken Ost. Sending your luggage ahead through the Swiss system, if it's right for you, is painless. Some carriages have limited luggage space and can be a right pain. Overall, though, a pleasant and very efficient way of getting to resort.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
While those above are all right, 6 mins for a change of trains is pretty tight. I missed a similar connection in Bern (heading to Visp rather than Wengen) due to the incoming train being a couple of minutes late, and me not being sure which platform the outgoing train left from. It was no big deal - there was another train in half an hour - but if it's the first time you're changing trains in switzerland, and so not familiar with the signage and where to find the platform information, using the app as suggested by Deedee is a good idea.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The app is good. A low-tech alternative is simply to ask the ticket guy/girl when they check your ticket - they always know which platform you need for your connection. But don't worry, it'll be fine.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
telford_mike wrote:
The app is good. A low-tech alternative is simply to ask the ticket guy/girl when they check your ticket - they always know which platform you need for your connection. But don't worry, it'll be fine.

+1

I did the exact trip at a time before smartphones. Granted, not being a bloke, I did not hesitate to ask for direction. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
... but coming home it was a delight to check our luggage .... pre 17:00 the evening before travel ... and to not see it until arrival at Heathrow! Will def do this again!

I won't Mad. Admittedly it is very convenient, but a jacket once disappeared from my bag somewhere between the hotel at Saas Fee and Heathrow - and it is only then that you realise it is impossible to work out where it might have happened (in the hotel / transfer between hotel and resort car park / van from car park to station / train / handlers at GVA / handlers at LHR / etc). Everyone can just deny responsibility and there isn't really anything you can do about it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Did this return journey over the past two weekends. Easy-peasy!! All the advice previously given is good and as telford mike said just ask. The rail employees actually seem pleased to give you information. The stations aren't huge. You wont have to cross ten platforms for instance. Possibly a few minutes walk by underpass from one to another. If you have a tight change make sure you are not stuck behind slowcoaches getting their luggage on the arriving train. You could lose a minute or two here. The trains all have destinations on multiple signs on the sides of the rolling stock and the platform signage is very informative.
ski holidays
@garystarling, used trains in Switzerland a fair bit in th summer with family; bikes, trailers, luggage ++++. Very helpful staff, stress free, easy.

ed
latest report
Train trip to Murren or Wengen via Interlaken is on my "must do again" list...absolutely, jaw-droppingly stunning scenery especially the views of the Lauterbrunnen valley on the train up to Wengen...
http://www.playbull.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Lauterbrunnen-Valley-Switzerland.jpg
And as others have said dont stress about the connections - theres every chance your connecting train will be there waiting for you on the adjacent platform!
latest report
Thank you for your replies, all very helpful!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy