Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Engelberg guides?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello snowheads

Off to engelberg for a long weekend at the start of march, does anyone have any suggestions of off piste guides that are good and won't cost the earth? Non guided route recommendations also very much welcome...

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
we just contacted the guides office before we arrived and booked a day. worked for us
Engelberg is great but I would STRONGLY recommend getting a guide for at least a day - the terrain can be pretty serious and route finding is not trivial. After a day with a guide you'll have a much better idea of where you are happy to ski unguided. That's what we did.
But I'm not an expert on the area. Others may be happier to direct you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I totally agree with the previous post.

Some of the classic off piste runs are on glaciers for about half of their length for a start. There is a decent amount of non glacier off piste, however the Trubsee bowl for example, which is easily accessible, has some tricky exit routes at the bottom, which can be narrow, icy, steep and rocky.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a mountain guide office near the railway station in town ((www.engelbergmountainguide.ch) and they have a very good reputation.

On the other hand, I went down the classic Laub off-piste run with some Swedish blokes I met in the hotel bar; possibly not the most sensible solution! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Route finding on the Laub isn't difficult. If you are happy with the avy situation and have the right gear (and companions) you don't need a guide to ski it. Other areas in Engelberg are a lot more serious though, def worth getting a local guide for at least a day Skullie
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sah wrote:
Route finding on the Laub isn't difficult. If you are happy with the avy situation and have the right gear (and companions) you don't need a guide to ski it. Other areas in Engelberg are a lot more serious though, def worth getting a local guide for at least a day Skullie

I was there on my own so definitely needed some companions (who were massively, massively better skiers than me, but I survived!). Engelberg's Titlis side is seriously glacial so the above advice is especially sound.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great, thanks guys. All sound advice, especially with the amount of snow that looks set to fall this week!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://offpisteroutes.com/engelberg-off-piste-routes/

We had an awesome day there a few years back and skied the Laub, Steinberg and Gultiberg. The last one is a fab super long route but leaves you up the valley where you need to get a bus back and the bottom was in a gorge with avi slopes above so needs some care. The Laub was pretty straightforward route finding and is a classic so sees lots of traffic
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy