Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A weekend in Innsbruck: stay local or venture further out

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's been a very unfortunate winter for me so far, firstly the Christmas skiing trip was cancelled due to lack of snow, then rebooked for February half term. Conditions looked perfect, and we were all really excited, until two weeks before travelling I broke my little toe... bug! Trip cancelled , insurance claimed. Family well and truly annoyed

Anyway, the toe is healing nicely, and I have one last chance to get some skiing in this year, I've booked a weekend in Innsbruck next month for me and my son. We'll be arriving late Friday night and departing Sunday late afternoon/ early evening. We'll need to stick to mainly blue runs, as my son is 8 and hasn't quite mastered the more difficult runs yet. We're hoping to get two full days of skiing, and will be staying in central Innsbruck, though with a hire car.

I've never been to Austria before, and never skied outside of France, so I could really use some of the snow heads collective wisdom on this:

Would you recommend staying in Innsbruck and using the resorts that surround the town? I understand there's a skibus from our hotel which sounds pretty convenient, but will the resorts be big enough to provide enough blue runs to keep us busy? Or should we be heading further afield? I gather St Anton, Hinterglem etc are about an hour away from Innsbruck and we could get there in the hire car (theoretically!) would we be missing out on fantastic resorts if we stayed around Innsbruck?

Lastly, any thoughts on costs of things like ski hire, lift passes etc? Is there one pass for all the resorts around Innsbruck, including Stubai?

Can't wait to go, and want to make sure we make the most of our abbreviated ski trip! Many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Book a weekend in lovely Lech. Almost all hotels are ski-in/out or close to lifts.
Don't stay in Innsbruck (you don't want to spend so much time commuting in your precious weekend do you?), and don't go to St.Anton as it is not that good for blue runs (to say the least)
Lech-Oberlech is very smooth and currently has almost 1,5 m snow in the valley.
Lech was voted best European skiresort by Condé Nast earlier this season.
And it really is the best!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@M535man, By the sound of it you have already booked your hotel, so although I agree with@Langerzug, that Lech is wonderful, that maybe for another time. The little resorts around Innsbruck would probably be sufficient for your needs. I think Axamar Lizum, Schlick, or Kutai should have enough for a day and all have buses running from Innsbruck (the former is closest and probably offers the most, although not all blue runs).

However, if you have a car, you can get up early and drive for an hour and hit the first lifts at Solden or Serfaus (probably via Ladis as the closer resort to Innsbruck), which both offer much more terrain. Cost wise, they might be a little more expensive, especially if you are going to buy 2 separate day passes but it depends what your priorities are. If you stick around Innsbruck you may save money by buying a 2 day Innsbruck Olympic pass and hiring skies in the town for 2 days (although of course you then have to lug them around).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pretty sure there was a thread about exactly this topic a few weeks ago. @Langerzug said go to Lech that time, plenty of other people offered a lot of choices around Innsbruck Happy I'd search the forum - either use the search tool or use google and add "site:http://snowheads.com/" to your search term to only search on here.

There is plenty of good skiing around Innsbruck, for a weekend there is tons (I've not added it up, but I suspect if you add all the local hills together there would be more skiing and more variety of terrain than many big resorts).

EDIT: Here is the most recent thread on the topic: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111894
See also: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=85325
And: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=100365
And: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111894

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 24-02-16 15:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@M535man, have you tried calling the tourist office? They may have stuff not on the big sites.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
if your accomodation is booked in innsbruck and you have hire car ,no problem try kaltenbach/hochfugen 45min drive easy parking direct near liftjust get up early, cruising blues one day ,another axamer is ok which ever of the nearby areas looks best snow on your departure day so your not wasting time but use your car to get maximum ski time not bus , probably not worth the cost of the bigger areas as you wont get the benefit
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@M535man, yep there's one pass that covers all the IBK resorts, inc Stubai: http://www.innsbruck.info/en/experience/winter-sports/olympia-skiworld.html I believe it's similar cost per day as buying a one area pass, but not 100%.

There is more than enough great skiing round Innsbruck to not need to go elsewhere - Axamer Lizum, Kuhtai, Patscherkofel, Glungezer, Stubai, etc. I haven't got bored in several years (indeed haven't even skied all the resorts yet - last Saturday was my first time at Glungezer!), so you certainly shouldn't get bored in a weekend!

If you did want to go further afield, St Anton is an hour away on the train or by car, but probably not ideal for you. Kitzbühel SkiWelt is about the same in the other direction, and you can drive to Sölden/obergurgl in little over an hour. Saalbach/Hinterglemm is a lot further away btw.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the great replies, exactly what I was after, and what you normally can't find on the tourist sites!

I think we'll buy the Innsbruck area pass and go wherever the mood takes us, probably try and do different resorts on both days. Our hotel apparently has a view of the ski jump, which we're fascinated by, I would love to go and watch, hopefully there may be some ski jumping happening whilst we're there. Very Happy

We'd love to go to the Lech, but I think it would need some more forward planning- the cheapest room on booking.com for the lech on the nights we are in Austria are €1000+ per night Shocked

Will write a trip report when we get back (so long as no other misfortunes befall us before then!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the ski jump towers over the city, so is visible from many hotels and streets Smile
looks good at night when all lit up.

was there a couple of weekends ago, and just by total chance ended up bumping in to the medal ceremony for the bobsleigh championships.

have never managed to make any of my trips coincide with ski jumping though.

right... time to book another weekend there...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy