Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glencoe, Nevis Range or Glenshee for skiing with kids this weekend.

Poster: A snowHead
Despite living in Glasgow I haven't skied at Glencoe for 8 years. My son can just about ski parallel and can get down French reds my daughter can do linked plough turns and can ski blues. In the past I'd probably go to Glencoe or Glenshee but I didn't have to think about ability. Does anyone have any recommendations? I guess the queuing will be terrible at the weekend.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm. I love glencoe. The views and the fact it's closer to Glasgow mean I head there all the time. However, with your kids in mind, the fact that the cliffy chair is down at the moment and larger selection of accessible runs, I think glenshee is probably your best option.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't trust either of them to stay still to survive on the chair. They can both do a powerful poma not sure about a tbar. I'll check the weather on Friday I do like glenshee if maol is open.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nevis has just about all frontside terrain - but not all lifts - open. Nevertheless, it just never seems to generate queues like the other areas. We're looking at skiing Sat-Mon mixed between Nevis and Glencoe.

Glencoe's new draglift is getting good reports and is alleviating pressure on the Plateau poma - and the Cliffhanger chair was due to be fixed last Wednesday. So hopefully it'll be back in action for the weekend?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was skiing with my nephew and neice last week, they both match your description of your kids' standard almost exactly. we had a great day at Nevis Range - it was perfect for both of them, good selection of reds to develop and practice parallel on and some nice varied blues for ploughing. despite being mid-term week, there were no queues - I think at most we had 10 people in front of us. Despite winterhighland suggesting NR is good for small/ nonexistent queues, I was sceptical.

Given the current conditions I'd definitely consider NR again.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Which place has the shortest weekend queues btw?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I visit the Scottish ski areas so infrequently I couldn't answer that - hopefully someone else will come along with better info. Also, if you don't know about it, check out www.winterhighland.info - seems to be a useful resource.

have a good weekend wherever you end up Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. I'll check the weather on Friday night and then decide.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The new tow at Glencoe is great. We used it with our 7 year old last week and it's opened up a whole new area for beginners at Glencoe. Coverage is great at the moment so would be a good option. As for using the T-bar, depending on the size of your son, could he go between your legs on the uplift with someone else sat on the other side of the T-bar?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I could put them both on the tbar but not sure if they would make it a few feet before they started bickering over who's hand was higher on the pole.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glenshee today. All runs open, and almost all the lifts. Snow was excellent with even some "off piste" - a dusting of fresh snow over the hardpack. Spent most of the day around Glas Maol with no queues despite the number of cars in the car park.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just returned home from two days skiing at Glenshee, really good value, friendly lifties and nice grippy snow, I have skied all the Scottish resorts in the last two weeks and the last two days have easily been the best, however the excellent weather did play a part in this opinion.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict wrote:

Glencoe's new draglift is getting good reports and is alleviating pressure on the Plateau poma - and the Cliffhanger chair was due to be fixed last Wednesday. So hopefully it'll be back in action for the weekend?

I was at Glencoe yesterday, I won't hold your breath over the cliffy running again anytime soon, The roof was off the winding motor hut and it looked very empty. The main bottleneck is at the Wall T-bar and there's not much they can do to improve this quickly. Above that they have both the Main Basin T-bar and the Rannoch button running which keeps things flowing well. The red car park run runs out of snow about 200m from the car park and the black run about 400m. The Fly Paper was closed but all the other runs were open and really good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Glenshee Games are on this weekend and at least 2 pistes will be closed as the Bairns (U8 U10, U12) will be on one while the Children (U14 and upwards) will be on another. The organisers haven't confirmed what pistes will be used but I suspect the older kids will be on the Cairnwell. It will be busy anyway as many people will be looking to take advantage of the conditions.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll drop the kids with the U8s then. Childcare sorted and they better place highly. We can then head over to Glas Moal.

I am thinking Nevis Range if the queues are smaller.
snow conditions
Hmm? My experience is that many of the Scottish tows can be like carrier launch catapults whatever the 'resort'. However, the normal liftie 'Can ye no manage that ya fanny?' transforms to very helpful when small people are around. I know I have doubled up on a t-bar with a little kid who when offered that I hold on till they were clear responded with 'I'll catch yer zimmer frame mister.' Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Had a horrendous day at Glenshee two years ago as both my kids (boarders) took over an hour before managing to grip on and survive the launch on the pomas. Lots of tears and stress that day meant Cairngorm was easier for them (although i hate the place). They are bigger and stronger now and manage but the launch on them is ridiculous and I have seen plenty adults let alone just kids fall on them. Still my favourite area for terrain though.
snow report
Well we picked Nevis Range. What a day I wish I could have stayed. Blue sky all day zero wind. Snow really nice in most places (could do with a bit more just to fill in a few last bits). The kids tried the t bars and were fine together but the chair would have been a life saver. There was the odd hard bit but still one of the best days in Scotland and no queues!!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy