Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go from Zurich during Easter?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So... Have tickets - will travel. Meaning that my son and I have flight tickets to Zurich, but the resort is undecided.

The obvious candidate is St. Anton, but I'm looking for alternatives with the following criteria:
- Convenient to reach, i.e. reachable with train with max one transfer or with a single bus ride.
- Prefer Austria to Switzerland (economical reasons)
- Snow sure late March.

Btw, will I have to book/buy train tickets in advance? The first train leaves 23 minutes after landing, so I'm not sure I want to put my money on that one. Pretty sure I don't want to, I should say. OTOH, if we can catch it, I'd prefer it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rail tickets can be bought at machines or over the counter in the airport's railway station. The cheapest tickets in Switzerland are supersavers but I don't think they cover travel into Austria. If I recall correctly, St Anton by train mostly requires changes at Zurich main railway station and then either one or two more en route.

Most convenient snowsure resorts from Zurich are Engelberg or, in the other direction, any of the Graubunden resorts (Davos, Klosters, Arosa/Lenzerheide, Laax etc).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andermatt, Zermatt, Verbier?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flims / Laax is a great resort for a short stay and easily reachable by train and postbus. IIRC it takes around 2:30 hours and involves a quick change at the main Zurich HB station and then getting off at Chur to transfer to a bus for the last stretch. I would not bother pre-buying tickets as they are easily available from ticket machines that are intuitive and take credit cards. Laax has a glacier and lots of 'new school' freestyle facilities, if you are that way inclined, and a wide variety of pistes in both resorts that are well connected by lifts (enough for a few days skiing). There is also a good bus service to take you back to Laax at the end of the day if you finish at Flims which has a sunnier apres ski area. There is newer accommodation in Laax ranging from new hostels to modern apartments and I can recommend Rocks Resort. Flims seems to have more traditional chalet hotels.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think any other Austrian resorts meet all your criteria, as you'll need at least one more transfer compared to St Anton. Maybe Solden, which would be snow-sure, and just an extra bus from the station (Otztal), but I don't think all the trains from Zurich stop at Otztal
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I did St Anton from Zurich with just one change at Zurich Banhof. It was cheaper then to buy tickets from Austrian Rail. Done Laax and Zermatt from there too Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ozboy wrote:
Flims / Laax is a great resort for a short stay and easily reachable by train and postbus. IIRC it takes around 2:30 hours and involves a quick change at the main Zurich HB station and then getting off at Chur to transfer to a bus for the last stretch. I would not bother pre-buying tickets as they are easily available from ticket machines that are intuitive and take credit cards. Laax has a glacier and lots of 'new school' freestyle facilities, if you are that way inclined, and a wide variety of pistes in both resorts that are well connected by lifts (enough for a few days skiing). There is also a good bus service to take you back to Laax at the end of the day if you finish at Flims which has a sunnier apres ski area. There is newer accommodation in Laax ranging from new hostels to modern apartments and I can recommend Rocks Resort. Flims seems to have more traditional chalet hotels.

Since I'm currently sitting in Laax, I'm obviously going to second this suggestion.

There is a direct airport shuttle from ZRH, takes 1 hour 45 mins:

http://www.laax.com/nc/en/resort-info/getting-there-transport/airport-shuttle/

70% of the area is over 2000m altitude, so the snow cover is usually reasonably reliable. In fact, we were merrily having lots of fun in December when everyone else was complaining about lack of snow. Plenty of s/c apartments (mine is available from Easter Sat to 3 April, not The Rocks, but 100m from the base station in Laax). As with all resorts it can be as cheap or expensive as you want to make it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the suggestions! Interestingly, it seems that most Swiss resorts require two or more changes. It's either that or the fact that accommodation is quite a bit more expensive west of Liechtenstein. So St. Anton seems to be the winner. It may not have come across, but I was already set on St. Anton, but wanted to check my options. It has a lot going for it. I have been there before, which is a plus when going on a short trip like Easter. It also seems that I can get accommodation within walking distance from the train station and both Galzigbahn and Rendlbahn.

The reason I'm asking about the train ticket is not so much in order to get the cheapest, but I'm just concerned it might be full or is that an unwarranted concern?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SkiingDad wrote:

The reason I'm asking about the train ticket is not so much in order to get the cheapest, but I'm just concerned it might be full or is that an unwarranted concern?

No problem at all. Never seen full train from Zurich to St.Anton
However, check also this option.
https://arlbergexpress.com/en/airport-shuttle-service/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You'll find that with children train will almost certainly be cheaper. They travel free or for not à lot at all Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Einari78, thanks for the tip. The schedule doesn't really match my flights, so I'll stick to the train. Good to know about for the future, though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As posted above cheaper to buy ticket online from austrian site, so prob book in advance, nothing in Switzerland cheap, ever. Anton not very high but usually gets a lot of snow so you'll prob be fine. Easter earlier this year and I was there three years in a row at that time of year and got fresh snow each time. Otherwise Ischgl is a bit higher and has highly developed snow making system, but tends to get less natural snow than Anton. You stay on the train a few more stops and then get a taxi up the 45 mins to resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm already set with a accommodation, which proved to be a greater hassle than anticipated. St. Anton it is and I'm pretty sure the snow will still be good.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy