Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunglasses with helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
never ever wear goggles with a helmet, unless you want to appear german.... but then you really need a helmet with a built in visor Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JayDub wrote:
@SFR_,

It is not acceptable to wear sunglasses and a helmet. It looks 100% duff. If you ski at a sensible speed (in winter) then your eyes will be streaming so much then it will not be possible anyway. Have two pairs of goggles for different conditions and save the sunnies for when you have finished. Sunglasses should only be used with the legs out over a suitable hat. End of.

Utter nonsense. The current fashion for skiing with goggles in all weathers is pretty recent. Before that everyone wore sunglasses in good weather and goggles in bad weather. Your eyes won't stream wearing sunglasses if they are padded or have side pieces. They have been around for decades.

Wear whatever you like, but I'd suggest that while you think helmet and sunglasses look daft there are a great many people who look at people wearing goggles on a bright sunny day and think they look pretty daft.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jedster wrote:
I always wear goggles with a helmet. Sunnies for sitting outside the restaurant in the sun with my helmet off.
No practical reason for not wearing sunnies with a helmet, I just dislike the way it looks. Many people don't care.

Absolutely this!!

It looks silly, and goggles work better.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
primoz wrote:
Whats problems just with googles? Much more comfortable for skiing then normal sunglasses, and with all possible colors of lenses, you are fine even for brightest days.

I don't know many serious skiers who don't wear goggs pretty much all the time. Maybe get the sunniest out if they are rocking the headband and throwback hair look. It would take a long throwback for me to be able to carry that off.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find goggles a lot warmer and you get a weird tan. I always wear sunnies with a helmet unless vis is bad when I wear my gogggles.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are pros and cons for both goggles and sunglasses. The current trend is more towards goggles, but it really is nothing more than just a fashion. Arguably the most sensible option is to adapt to the weather, but I fear fashion overcomes that.

The question remains of what I'm going to be doing this year. I certainly won't wear sunglasses if it's cold or snowy, but if it's hot and sunny then it will be hard to resist the shades.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This argument always reminds me of the night club dress policy in the 80's - a cool young thing looking stylish in jeans wouldn't be let in because it's trousers and shoes only, then a scruffy guy turns up in a scruffy suit and a unironed shirt, and gets let in because on paper he's smarter but in reality he's not.

My point is, you can avoid wearing sunglasses with a helmet but it won't make you look more stylish than someone who is, unless the rest of you matches. I've seen plenty of people (including myself Laughing ) looking good in sunglasses/helmet look, and plenty of people in goggles/helmet looking terrible. And vice versa of course.

In other words go with whatever you want, don't just follow some made up rules because a few people said (because you can guarantee the coolest people on the mountain (definitely not me Laughing) will be making a point of doing the opposite!) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the helmet (or no helmet) and sunnies look is getting more and more popular within snowboarding subculture atm. But...you need to be good enough to pull it off Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sunglasses or goggles. It can be hard to choose. [By the way, neither of these images are me!]

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guess all those cyclists who wear helmets should take note and wear ski googles now so they dont look silly by wearing those glasses they have.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ster, funnily enough, cycling to work this morning I was congratulating myself on thinking to use one of my ski buffs to keep my ears and face warm but regretting the freezing wind blowing around my specs. For half a moment I thought of this thread and considered whether it would really be inappropriate to wear my ski goggles too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tubaski, yes, pretty cold this morning on the bike (if from your location you were out and about in London like me) but maybe wait until it actually snows before reaching for the goggles. I find good peripheral vision a vital thing to have cycling here!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Guess all those cyclists who wear helmets should take note and wear ski googles now so they dont look silly by wearing those glasses they have.

ah well...

Don't know if you've noticed but proper cycling helmets look rather different to ski helmets - they don't come down as low at the side of the face and they have way more vents - they look fine with sunglasses.
Of course you do see some cycling helmets that look almost exactly like ski helmets (think a brand called Bern is the worst offender) - this is beyond silly because typically you cycle in warmer weather and it is more intense cardio so you get hotter.

But I wouldn't wear goggles when skinning - I'd overheat. But then my helmet would be at home or on my rucksack anyway.

It is very rare that it gets uncomfortably hot wearing goggles when downhill skiing even in spring because you have fairly low CV output and the wind rushing through the vents.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
These threads are always entertaining. Especially when, for example, you get somebody saying that whilst it's absolute not on to wear a belt with a suit, wearing sunglasses with a helmet is fine on the grounds that nobody sensible would bother about such niceties or care what other people think. wink

I always wear a helmet downhill skiing and rarely wear sunnies because even a very modest speed makes my eyes stream. Cross country skiing I would wear ordinary sunglasses but in bad weather (rain/sleet/snow/wind) they're not very satisfactory and the keen XC skiers tend to wear sports glasses like http://mammothbikesandskis.com/nordic-eyewear/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Goggle for skiing, sunglasses for sitting on sunny terraces. This was always the case before helmets were popular. The fact that a lot of people used to ski in glasses didn't mean it was a good idea, it wasn't. Goggle are safer (in case of a crash) and provide better protection from the elements.

In sunny weather wear dark goggles, in poor light wear orange lensed goggles.

Skiing in sunglasses belongs to the era of rear entry boots and one-piece ski suits.

Cycling helmets and eyewear are completely different to skiing gear, cycling glasses need to be some form of wrap around to provide wind protection.
ski holidays
I was leaning towards another pair of goggles, I think that's what I'll go for. This of course leads onto the 'which pair' question.....! I think i've seen another thread about that recently. I like the look of the Oakley Flight Deck but I'll see what goes with the helmet I end up buying.
snow report
Acknowledge and release your inner Gaper.
Only then will you find true inner peace and become one with the mountain.
ski holidays
SFR_ wrote:
I was leaning towards another pair of goggles, I think that's what I'll go for. This of course leads onto the 'which pair' question.....! I think i've seen another thread about that recently. I like the look of the Oakley Flight Deck but I'll see what goes with the helmet I end up buying.

If you can I'd take your lid along when trying on a few pairs, make sure they fit OK. To be honest I think most goggles fit well with most helmets, but you never know.
snow report
sah wrote:
Skiing in sunglasses belongs to the era of rear entry boots and one-piece ski suits.
Sunnies and headband is where it's at!
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
sah wrote:
Sunnies and headband is where it's at!

That would be acceptable, providing the sunnies are Aviators and you are wearing a proper Nevica jacket, or SOS woolen sweater.
latest report
@sah, Aviators should only be worn by proper pilots. Oakley or Neon sunnies are acceptable, providing they accompany a polar bear.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
@sah, Aviators should only be worn by proper pilots. Oakley or Neon sunnies are acceptable, providing they accompany a polar bear.

So should Oakley Flight Deck - too many wannabees!
snow conditions
If your skiing is really good you can get away with anything.
latest report
I've not worn goggles since the start of my first season because I've never been able to get on with them at all. I get very hot on even a gentle run and they steam up constantly for me. I gave up trying different ones and stuck to sun glasses. Which meant I could carry some yellow lensed glasses for when the weather went bad. And my eyes have not watered wearing glasses with a hat or a helmet

This season, due to a massive amount of flat light and snow, I found I needed to wear my distance glasses more so have ended up with the biggest fashion faux pas of all - a helmet with a visor. The downside is that I haven't been able to get the spare (yellow) visor in my backpack, so carry yellow glasses to get me home to change the visor

But then, I have little choice but to not care what I look like as they don't seem to make gear that I like for larger/curvy girls (that I've found/can afford), so having a helmet with a visor is probably not the worst of my attire!! Sad
snow report
@chaletgirl, sounds like you need to wear less layers if you overheat skiing gentle runs! And try better goggles if they fog up!

I often wonder if people who wear sunglasses with helmets would also wear sandles with socks or brown shoes with black suits etc.

Sunglasses are great for drinking beer on a terrace or for hiking/skinning, but a total fail on both style and function for actually skiing.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
@chaletgirl, sounds like you need to wear less layers if you overheat skiing gentle runs! And try better goggles if they fog up!

I often wonder if people who wear sunglasses with helmets would also wear sandles with socks or brown shoes with black suits etc.

Sunglasses are great for drinking beer on a terrace or for hiking/skinning, but a total fail on both style and function for actually skiing.

I now wear prescription glasses, so handy to be able to wear those under the visor. I needed them when I was trying goggles but it was too much hassle. And, sadly, I may cause a bit of a stir when stopping for lunch if I wear less under my jacket Shocked Shocked Embarassed Embarassed Its just the way I am - same with other sports, get very hot and bright red whilst active (however I write this it is sounding wrong!!) and then recover really quickly. Squash used to be a laugh cos I looked like a boiled tomato within minutes but recovered faster than all my fit and less sweaty friends!!! rolling eyes

Oh - and no. Brown shoes with a black suit and handle with socks = yuck !!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 26-02-16 18:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
rob@rar wrote:

Do pilots also ski with headbands too? Do they have to be commercial pilots or does a PPL allow me to wear them?
snow report
@clarky999, For decades sunglasses have been the preferred eyewear for most people to wear when skiing, in all but poor weather. As we have said earlier in this thread they have functional advantages over goggles in some respects and goggles are better in other respects. As for style, it's not as cut and dried in that respect either.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sah wrote:
Do pilots also ski with headbands too? Do they have to be commercial pilots or does a PPL allow me to wear them?
Pilot ski with headsets not headbands, accompanied by Aviators. Commercial or PPL will do.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@clarky999, For decades sunglasses have been the preferred eyewear for most people to wear when skiing, in all but poor weather. As we have said earlier in this thread they have functional advantages over goggles in some respects and goggles are better in other respects. As for style, it's not as cut and dried in that respect either.

For decades people did not wear helmets. There's a correlation.

As far as style goes, socks and sandals, sunglasses and helmet - they're as cut and dried as each other.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:

For decades straight skis without metal edges were also the preferred choice for most people skiing wink

However, in the 20 or so years I've been skiing the majority of people have used goggles (though to be fair I may not have the clearest recollection of the first 5 of those 20!).

I don't think anyone has mentioned any functional advantages for sunglasses though (if your goggles fog it's because you bought cheap/bad goggles, not because goggles generally fog up lots!).

I can't think of any way or situation that glasses work better (apart from skinning) - which is why goggles are used in preference to sunglasses in every single competitive element of skiing from racing to freeride, freestyle, moguls, even biathlon Spoiler
- just pulled a random still from a random video btw, but it makes the point I think
- but I'd be interested to hear of any.
snow conditions
Surely the "answer" is wear whatever the feck you want? I wear sunglasses, googles, sunogles*, or occasionally nothing on my eyes; headband, head torch, beanie, bobble hat, hood, soft-sided helmet, hard-sided helmet and occasionally nowt on my head whatsoever, depending on the weather and what/how I'm skiing. All of these are the right solution for me at the particular time, so arguing that one solution is better than another for somebody else seems just a little bit silly.

* I made that word up.
snow report
Well i switched to a visor helmet this season and just pick what colour to use for the day. Still have some shades for food and drink stops, although rarely do i sit outside anyway.
snow report
@foxtrotzulu,

Not with the vast majority of people I have been skiing with in the last 38 years!

@clarky999, +1.
snow report
Prescription sunglasses for me. Goggles over normal specs mist up quickly, especially in the mild temps we had this year.

Should I have played fashion police with the many Italian skiers sporting the sunnies/helmet faux pas?
snow conditions
It is only a wrong look for british skiers i think.
ski holidays
I think the helmet issue is a non-issue here. Even if you only wear a woolly hat you still have a problem of light changing during the day if you only have one pair of goggles and what you wear on the sunny terrace of a mountain bar. Sunnies are clearly necessary for the latter. Sunnies are not uncomfortable with a helmet IMO. Of course if you of the IDGAF about fashion camp the answer could be a helmet with a visor worn over glasses/sunnies and then you can pick the helmet visor tint to match the conditions and the type of glasses you wear under it. CHiPs was Jon and Ponch!
ski holidays
Quote:

arguing that one solution is better than another for somebody else seems just a little bit silly.
This!
latest report
rogg wrote:
JamesN wrote:
Last week I was rocking a helmet and shades with a GoPro in the tellytubby position.

IDGAF Laughing

Were you wearing socks and sandals too? NehNeh

I also wear a camelbak on a road bike.

Come at me mutha-fu*kers!!! Laughing
ski holidays
@JamesN,

You are really pushing it now! Please do not tell me that you wear baggy cycling shorts and have a peaked helmet or a saddle bag. You need a rehabilitation program.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy