Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunglasses with helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Far more practical, as they are less likely to result in a giant panda tan

Take no notice of the folk saying they don't look "cool." They are cooler than a panda IMO

eh? you get more of panda tan with sunglasses. You just don't get a tan with goggles!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's no surer sign of middle age than insisting the fashion of your teenage years is still the in thing despite the evidence of the young and beautiful Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The very best of both: -

https://jerryoftheday.net/products/send-o-vision-jerry-of-the-day-glasses
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's less about what you do but who you are unfortunately.

Lot's of bright young things in helmets and sunglasses looking good, very much on trend and generally being fashionable. You can do the same when you're middle aged but you will probably get a different result. And vice versa with helmet and goggles.

If you're on this thread and you've decided that something is or isn't cool, and you're middle aged - then I'm sorry, it's not you that gets to decide. That's life. Enjoy your opinion by all means, but don't pretend you're setting the trends.

As long as you're happy, you're comfortable, you think you look good (and no-one is laughing at you) then that's a good result!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Handy Turnip, Yip, just like Brexit we all get one vote each
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="jedster"]
Quote:

eh? you get more of panda tan with sunglasses. You just don't get a tan with goggles!

Really? How do you prevent your cheeks, nose and chin from tanning? Puzzled

What I meant was...that your white (untanned) bits are smaller with glasses than goggles. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Handy Turnip, . . .think you're taking this a little bit seriously lol - obviously a helmet sunglasses man . . .so in the spirit of taking this seriously

Just because you're young doesn't equate to you having style . . .quite the opposite because mum & dad have probably paid for your holiday & shades anyway. I've seen more 20 something gapers on the slopes than anyone else . .

Just on a point of detail; but most style leaders in design are middle-aged and some - fashion (foremost) and architecture dictate ALL trends, with the UK being pretty much at the top of the tree in terms of style leadership. . ie. Julien MacDonald & Stella McCartney are both 47yrs . . .Vivien Westwood is 77 . . .Sir Norman Foster is 83, Sir Richard Rodgers is 85 ffs!

So with respect sir, you are talking tosh . . . and as it happens I'm a 47 yr old Creative Director - so keep your sunnies away from your helmet! (or don't if you don't actually care) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Handy Turnip wrote:
As long as you're happy, you're comfortable, you think you look good (and no-one is laughing at you) then that's a good result!

I usually wear sunglasses with a helmet - don't care if anyone is laughing. Cool

All these youngsters usually only get to see the back of my helmet anyway! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@frejul, “All these youngsters usually only get to see the back of my helmet anyway!”

I’m sure there’s a really good joke to be made out of that comment but I can’t quite think what it is and I dare say it would be beneath me. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
frejul wrote:
[quote=All these youngsters usually only get to see the back of my helmet anyway! Toofy Grin

Apols but I've just had to re-read that . . .lol Very Happy Shocked

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 2-02-19 18:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ooops - I could have phrased that better couldn't I? Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
...I dare say it would be beneath me. Very Happy

As a sunglasses n helmet wearer, I doubt that's possible Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haha.. and you thought I was taking it seriously, @Belch!!

What’s the saying - you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.

Yes, lots of people in fashion companies trying to dictate fashions but that doesn’t decide what actually becomes a trend. It’s whether the masses pick that up as a trend. They’re merely putting out options (lots of them), they don’t get to choose.

You may be a creative director (well done you) but I think you’ve developed a sense of over importance of what your role is in the whole process!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 3-02-19 2:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take both and see what works best.!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fashion knows no pain darling,wear your Julbo Oakley or ray bans until tears stream down your face then swap for goggles , simple
ski holidays
Sako85 wrote:
Fashion knows no pain darling,wear your Julbo Oakley or ray bans until tears stream down your face then swap for goggles , simple

Haha.. so very true!
snow report
Sako85 wrote:
Use padded sunglasses and you’ve just solved that problem.

Of course, if you don’t take any sunglasses at all then you really will end up looking like a complete plonker as you sit in the sun outside a mountain restaurant eating your lunch, drinking a cold beer and ....... wearing goggles!
snow report
Ffs - padded sunglasses are basically just a smaller format goggle - they are hardly an item with the versatility of proper sunnies.

And I've never had a problem wearing goggles on the terrace of a resto. I've broken a few pairs of sunnies trying to carry them around for the purposes of non-skiing and decided its just unnecessary baggage. Plus your face/skin is more protected from the spring sun.

Anyway by the time I'm drinking a beer, sun is usually pretty low and skiing largely done.
ski holidays
Too many form over function, style before comfort victims here. Wear what feels comfortable or suitable for the conditions.
ski holidays
@swishtony +1
snow conditions
@Handy Turnip, . . .all Creative Directors have a sense of over importance - its a pre-requisite I'm afraid - we make sh@te up for a living and spend our hours justifying it to millennial marketing types . . .

I feel honour bound to explain what you are clearly struggling with - the kids don't set the trends, the gnarly leather faced fashionistas do . . .everything on the high-street / in magazines / the graphics on your skis etc is influenced by this - whether the masses pick this up or not is irrelevant; they are not servicing the masses - they are setting the style agenda for the brands to follow . . .

Anyway . . . .we digress - please see here - https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/441071357226708070/?lp=true
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

Ffs - padded sunglasses are basically just a smaller format goggle - they are hardly an item with the versatility of proper sunnies.

Not sure I understand this. Like goggles they keep the cold wind out of your eyes but they have the advantage of exposing most of your face to the fresh air and sunshine and not looking like a twit when trying to drink a beer in the sunshine while wearing goggles. I can't see many disadvantages when skiing compared to normal sunglasses.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

Not sure I understand this. Like goggles they keep the cold wind out of your eyes but they have the advantage of exposing most of your face to the fresh air and sunshine and not looking like a twit when trying to drink a beer in the sunshine while wearing goggles. I can't see many disadvantages when skiing compared to normal sunglasses.

....... but you do look like a twit when you wear them under your helmet whilst skiing (IMV). Which do you spend most time doing, skiing or having a beer in the sun? So it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. I'm a boarder, so goggles for me all the time (I just squint in the sun if it's beer o'clock).

Personally I don't care what you wear, socks and sandals, sunnies arms over your beanie, tucked in t-shirt, belt with suit trousers, white socks and trainers - all fashion faux pas in my eyes, but if your happy and/or think you look cool get on with it and don't worry about other people.
snow report
Belch wrote:
@Handy Turnip, . . .all Creative Directors have a sense of over importance - its a pre-requisite I'm afraid - we make sh@te up for a living and spend our hours justifying it to millennial marketing types . . .

Haha.. I can definitely relate! Working in marketing we do exactly the same when talking to the business/trading directors.

We might have to agree to disagree on the other stuff, but life’s full of different views and that’s what makes it all fun snowHead snowHead

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 3-02-19 16:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Ok, ok, here's my secret: I'm farsighted, but don't like contacts, and I already have a prescription shades. So I wear the shades and helmet, with high VLT goggles (Cat I, I guess?) sitting on the helmet.

When there's some gnarly powdery terrain I tend to put on the goggles (on top of my shades, double the trouble Cool Cool ) so if I take a tumble, the snow won't find their way between my eyes and shades.

If fashion is of concern, one can simply remove one item of the three (helmet, shades, goggles) and stick to local's fashion fad! Timeless!
snow conditions
@rogg, You are treating it as ‘either’ / ‘or’. I’d suggest that trying to wear sunglasses in driving snow is utterly ludicrous, as is eating lunch wearing goggles. When actually skiing, goggles are sometimes more practical and in other conditions sunglasses are more practical (especially padded ones). In those situations where there is little to choose in practicality then it just comes down to fashion and how much you worry about what other people might think.

Unless it’s a guaranteed bluebird day then you probably want to carry goggles in case the weather deteriorates and on most days it’s no hardship to carry sunglasses in case you do get the chance to sit outside in the sun. 95% of days I carry both.
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, +1
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy