Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunglasses with helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
@galpinos,

Logic would say you are correct, however this is style we are talking about so the same rules don't apply . . .wearing arms on the inside of ones beanie can create an unsightly bump in the beanie fabric behind the ear, plus it means you are worried about them falling off, which means you are likely to be an unstable and therefore distinctly below par skier . . . .

whereas wearing them on the outside (without additional straps) means you are a confident bad ass that never falls over and if you did you wouldn't really care about losing your shades in the waist deep pow you inhabit because you earn 5 figures plus a month and don't have any kids to pay for that you're actually aware of. . .your (most likely) Oakley Jawbreakers are designed to be presented in their full glory and will grip your noggin like a thai ladyboy on acid . . . . . . . .or something along those lines Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Belch wrote:
Here are the current official headwear embarrassement ratings, as regulated by those who care . . .

Beanie + Goggles = Cool

Does Kate and Wills with this look make it more Cool or naff?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Belch wrote:
@galpinos,

Logic would say you are correct, however this is style we are talking about so the same rules don't apply . . .wearing arms on the inside of ones beanie can create an unsightly bump in the beanie fabric behind the ear, plus it means you are worried about them falling off, which means you are likely to be an unstable and therefore distinctly below par skier . . . .

whereas wearing them on the outside (without additional straps) means you are a confident bad ass that never falls over and if you did you wouldn't really care about losing your shades in the waist deep pow you inhabit because you earn 5 figures plus a month and don't have any kids to pay for that you're actually aware of. . .your (most likely) Oakley Jawbreakers are designed to be presented in their full glory and will grip your noggin like a thai ladyboy on acid . . . . . . . .or something along those lines Madeye-Smiley

Laughing

Indeed. While surely the most logical thing to do would be to wear your sunnies on the inside of your hat, I've noticed that most of the french and italian ski instructors with the perfect tan tend to wear them on the outside, so who are we mere mortals to argue...?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

the bright young things at the Folie Douce

By definition, anyone seen at the Folie Douce (or within approx. 400m) would be unable to find cool in a walk-in freezer. Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Belch wrote:
@galpinos,

Following the arms inside uncool - outside cool logic would it be cool if i put the arms of my sunnies outside of my helmet? snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SlipnSlide wrote:
While surely the most logical thing to do would be to wear your sunnies on the inside of your hat

Not logical at all! How can you shove them up onto the top of your head and back if the arms are inside? Your hat would fall off rolling eyes .
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rogg, Helmet + Shades = Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

No combination will ever be acceptable, even if you could find some Elton John specials that would achieve such a feat as you describe . . .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When you can carve turns so low that your elbow leaves a third line in the snow, you can ski moguls carrying a tray of drinks and you can ski breakable crust on 50mm underfoot skis, then and only then, should you worry about how cool your head gear is.
Otherwise the desire to be cool, immediately means that you are not! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tangowaggon, yep.....

Ski good to look good.

Regardless of your gear or clobber.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dode wrote:
@tangowaggon, yep.....

Ski good to look good.

Regardless of your gear or clobber.

my problem is that I don't ski like above and look like a tramp!!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rocking my Carrera's with helmet (with visor) in Chalet-Neuf. (Carreras are prescription, visor is not, and normal glasses steam up under visor on hot days)
What's not to like?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 10-03-16 12:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Belch wrote:
@rogg, Helmet + Shades = Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

No combination will ever be acceptable, even if you could find some Elton John specials that would achieve such a feat as you describe . . .

Ah come on now, next you'll be telling me Maverick and Goose weren't cool.

(BTW I'm 100% goggles)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
galpinos wrote:
Quote:

What's the mood regarding helmets with a built in visor?

@JamesN, Are you Italian or a Russian Oligarch? is you are then that's ok, if not......

No on both counts.

If I was the latter I would have had most of this thread killed by now. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tangowaggon wrote:
If people are so far up their own back bottom that they genuinely think that .... socks should not be worn with sandals etc, then they seriously need to get a life and leave others to enjoy theirs.

This thread should be closed asap to avoid the board being closed down with abhorrent thoughts like this being posted. Danger of being blacklisted by the government now.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

When you can carve turns so low that your elbow leaves a third line in the snow, you can ski moguls carrying a tray of drinks and you can ski breakable crust on 50mm underfoot skis, then and only then, should you worry about how cool your head gear is.

@tangowaggon, you find me someone who can ski like that and wears a helmet and sunglasses, and I shall eat my bobble hat, cast away my goggles and wear a fartbag forever more.
snow report
@WindOfChange,

Helmet + shades + visor . . .+ snowboard = Shocked Shocked Shocked Embarassed

Although being fair those sunnies do almost match your pants . . . still not convinced

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 10-03-16 22:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@rogg,

Don't think either wore their aviators when helmets were donned . . .they also had visors so knew better - and that was 1986!
snow conditions
Laughing
snow conditions
@WindOfChange,
Quote:

Rocking my Carrera's with helmet (with visor) in Chalet-Neuf. (Carreras are prescription, visor is not, and normal glasses steam up under visor on hot days)
What's not to like?

ummmm -The beard?
snow report
Recently back from two weeks away. The first week everyone was in goggles or in bed as the weather was absolute pants. The second week was wall to wall sunshine. Of those who were wearing helmets, and weren't snowboarders, I'd estimate that about 25% were wearing sunglasses.

Amusingly, about 10% of diners sitting outside on the tearrace of mountain restaurant seemed to have forgotten their sunnies and sat in the blazing sunshine, eating and drinking, while wearing goggles. Plonkers!
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, Were you one of the upper quartile wearing them? Laughing
snow report
@JamesN,
Quote:

@foxtrotzulu, Were you one of the upper quartile wearing them?

So glad you called it the 'upper quartile' Very Happy Yes, at times I comitted that sin Embarassed, although rather less than others in my group. I did my best to point out to them that according to the gurus of Snowheads this was akin to wearing socks and sandals, but the response was along the lines of 'In good weather sunglasses are more practical and more comfortable, so who give's a flying f*ck'. Hard to argue with that one. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
. . . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Would say this must be the lower quartile as 75% were not creating such a faux pas . . .I bet the entire 25% were British - disgraceful seeing that we currently lead the world from a design perspective . . we should be setting a good example.

I am out next week - I will provide live reports on the crisis . . . Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Belch,
Quote:

I bet the entire 25% were British
Definitely not!
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, what resort . . ? Laughing
snow conditions
Belch wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, what resort . . ? Laughing

St Martin de Belleville and then later in Montalbert.
snow report
I can confirm 100% that I'll be rocking shades and a helmet in Val Thorens next month. Cool

I'm just debating whether or not to buy some aviators to wear instead of sports sunglasses and post the pics on here? Puzzled
latest report
The vast majority of my skiing was done with a Miggy (Donegal term for a woolly hat) and shades...Goggles when it snowed.

Helmets were only worn by kids, racers and middle aged men (of a certain type). They were heavy, hot and made one look like a human cannon ball.

Then like everyone else, I discovered that the modern helmut was light, comfortable, warm and decently ventilated. The Miggy was duly replaced, but not for one minute did I consider that, when wearing Shades, I had now become a Gaper. Do you people not think I've enough to worry about! rolling eyes Very Happy

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 14-03-16 21:06; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
haha! Laughing (this is the worst laughing smiley seen on any website ever)
snow report
@JamesN, to be fair you are northern . . .possibly excused on this basis. Please do post pictures - I fear however this will only make your situation worse . . .
ski holidays
@Belch, We don't normally get to wear sunglasses very much, got to make up for it somewhere. Laughing
latest report
@JamesN, that is true . . .aviators are generally worn in Leeds less well know night clubs . . .
ski holidays
We need one of these...
snow report
Who decided helmet+sunglasses = fashion crime in the first place? What about cycling with helmet and sunglasses (google image suggest it's the fad with racers, including all the spandex)? Is it because cycling helmet is designed around sport sunglasses while ski helmet is designed around goggles? Laughing
snow conditions
@bashing,
yes
latest report
SFR_,

Loads of us wear sunglasses with a helmet.

Far more practical, as they are less likely to result in a giant panda tan wink

Take no notice of the folk saying they don't look "cool." They are cooler than a panda IMO Very Happy
snow report
@bashing,
Quote:

ski helmet is designed around goggles?

Who says? In truth I suspect that helmet manufacturers take googles into consideration more than sunglasses for two reasons:
1. Although some helmet manufacturers make sunglasses, many more manufacture goggles
2. The helmet/goggle fit is far more critical than helmet/sunglasses.

I suspect the idea that hemet and sunglasses was a faux pas comes from the snowboarding world and has spread across to skiing, in the way that baggy, grungy clothing spread across for a while.

I wear goggles far more than I used to, but on a nice sunny day I do find sunglasses (especially padded ones) infinitely nicer and more comfortable than goggles. In the interminable helmet threads some people have argued that helmets restrict your peripheral vision. My highly scientific (not) experiments satisfied me that they don't at all, but that goggles do and that goggles have a far greater impact on peripheral vision than sunglasses. Some goggles are better than others in this repect but they are all significantly worse than sunglasses / nothing.
ski holidays
I was told that it is better to avoid sunglasses inside the helmet as if there is a side impact the arms can be pushed into the temples. Maybe more of an issue with sunglasses than regular specs? For years I avoided goggles but now have some good ones that help in low light as well as sunshine. Sunglasses are in pocket/backpack for lunch and coffee stops. I wear my contacts for sport inc skiing as find it improves all round vision.
snow conditions
@Cheesie168,
Quote:

I was told that it is better to avoid sunglasses inside the helmet as if there is a side impact the arms can be pushed into the temples

I can understand the theoretical risk but doubt it's significant in real life. Maybe we balance that with the increased risk of a side impact due to reduced peripheral vision with goggles? Either way, I doubt it's worth worrying about.
latest report
3yrs on, here are the updated official headwear embarrassement ratings, as regulated by those who care . . .

Helmet + Goggles = Cool
Helmet + Shades = Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Beanie + Goggles = Cool
Beanie + Helmet + Goggles = Cool NehNeh
Beanie + Shades (arms on the outside) = Cool
Beanie + Shades (arms on the inside) = Embarassed
Headband + Shades (arms on the inside)= retro Cool
Headband + Shades (arms on the outside)= retro Embarassed Embarassed
Shades with neoprene/adjustable straps = Embarassed
Flowing locks + Shades = Cool
Flowing locks + Goggles = Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Bald heads + Tan + Shades = Cool
Bald heads + Spots/Comb-over/Rash + Shades/Goggles Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Beanies + pom pom = Cool (under 40's only, if over 40 then Embarassed Embarassed )
Beanies - pom pom = Cool (over 40's only, if under 40 then Embarassed unless gnarly mountain man or semi retired swedish female model in which case Cool NehNeh )
Helmet liners + Helmet = Cool
Helmet liners without helmet = Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed (unless you are over 60 and or/bald / an extreme cross country dude in which case Cool snowHead )

As you can see, the evidence is clear - not much has changed . . . Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 31-01-19 12:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy