Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beetroot juice!!

Poster: A snowHead
I've used beetroot juice as a pre-race drink when running for a few years now. It may be psychological for me, but there is some science / research behind the benefits it brings in terms of oxygen uptake for amateur (i.e. non-elite) runners.

Anyway, I put two and two together and thought whether it might affect my oxygen levels for skiing, as I always seem to experience a couple of days of slight wooziness at the beginning of a skiing holiday which I've attributed to mild altitude sickness effects.

It turns out that there was recently a research paper into the impact of beetroot juice on altitude sickness, and that it does bring benefits.

So this trip I drank it before I went, and had a glass or so for the first few days in resort. On my scientific study of one individual, this worked! No issues at all, felt 100% (which is not like me, as the first days were very flat light and that also seems to encourage dizziness in me) so I'll be doing this every time from now on.

Just thought I'd pass on the experience in case anyone else fancies trying it!

Here's the science bit - https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/10/151012083808.htm
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@larkim, I was interested in the research on beetroot and energy levels too. Never thought of it for helping with adjustment to altitude. Seems a good idea and can`t see that it could do any harm!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CaravanSkier, may darken stools Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where, pray tell, can one get a hold of this magic elixir? I won't have to buy a juicer or something, will I?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HutToHut wrote:

A friend went to see her GP as she had seen blood in her stools. Turned out to be beetroot juice Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
HutToHut wrote:

It's the red urine that gave me a shock the first time I used it!!

Beet It is one solution used by athletes, available widely inc here http://www.wiggle.co.uk/beet-it/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ingemar_Skidmark, Off topic, but your user name just made me squirt vino from my nose!!! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
met a nutritionalist from bristol uni a few years back on a off piste trip , she was doing a study into the effect of drinking beetroot juice on the build up of latic acid in endurance athletes , and she was very sure that it reduced the build up of latic acid but did not have an immediate effect , it needed to be taken every day for a 3 months before any postive effects were seen , last year took part in a mutli stage 7 day mtb race and regilously drank 300ml of the dark stuff for 12 weeks before the race and it did work for me , but stopped after the race and I'm now back to suffering when riding anythiing over 60km

@Ingemar_Skidmark, any decent supermarket should stock it
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
HutToHut wrote:

It's the red urine that gave me a shock the first time I used it!!

Beet It is one solution used by athletes, available widely inc here http://www.wiggle.co.uk/beet-it/

Laughing I grew up eating the stuff so no surprises there Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd read that there is a more or less immediate effect (2 hour pre race drink) not in relation to lactic but in relation to oxygen uptake. I'll try to dig out the research link.

In terms of seeking it out, BeetIt seems to be the market leader, I can find it easily enough in my local Tesco and Morrison's. It's quite palatable (blended with a bit of apple juice to reduce the earthy taste), but pink stools and urine are mildly amusing, especially if you've destroyed yourself in a half marathons and feel as if it would make sense to be peeing blood at that point!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does Borscht work as well? I love Borscht, but hate Beetroot juice...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
its good stuff been used by bodybuilders for a while no, increases nitric oxide, which is a vasodilator (think bulging veins Laughing ) ive used it to train with a lot of times, helps more blood and therefore nutrients to pass into muscle tissue
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"Let's turn on the juice and see what shakes loose."
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry, bit subtle, but couldn't resist a Beetlejuice quote.

I laughed. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@thecramps,

Laughing

Particularly knowing what it does to a lot of people's bowels…..
ski holidays
A friend was supposed to be coming on a ski holiday with us a few years ago but instead was in a and e as he thought he had internal bleeding, turned out he'd been on the beetroot! We flogged his lift pass to someone in a bar 😀
snow report
Quote:

A friend was supposed to be coming on a ski holiday with us a few years ago but instead was in a and e as he thought he had internal bleeding,

Laughing what a twit.
ski holidays
oh yes beetroot juice, but it has to come from very fresh, very organic, fair trade beetroots, we have a supplier from a small North London bespoke vegetable seller. It is quite important to treat nutrition appropriately before a ski holiday- and during. The beneficial effects of nitrates, betadiene, magnesium and chlorophyll (if you eat the leaves) will indeed oxygenate your blood- what can be wrong with that?

As recreationally active individually we believe it is really important to take every advantage we can from nutrition, which is why we also eat lots of other performance enhancing fruits like Goji berries, kumquats, bananas and (although I've mentioned this before) Mrs Ed always steams cleans with a mugwort V-steam- it really helps stave off the terrible effects of all those days in thermals and chemical ridden Goretex. Mind you since the use of organic merino G-strings this all seem stop have settled down a lot.
latest report
@ed123, Toofy Grin
latest report
Can you just by a jar from the supermarket, eat the beetroot & drink the juice?
snow conditions
@stewart woodward, most beetroot you buy isn't in beetroot juice.... but you could just eat the beetroot. wink

or possibly canning/preserving reduces the health benefits.
latest report
Pickled beetroot or the pickling liquid it is in won't cut it apparently.
snow report
Apparently celery does the job too:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/10-cycling-superfoods-you-need-to-try-45931/

Quote:

or possibly canning/preserving reduces the health benefits.

I guess as the nitrate is a salt it probably leaches out during boiling before canning/preserving. Green leafy veg in general are a good bet for nitrates.
snow conditions
Hmm What are the power calculations. n=4 pre health check, expected SD? et etc etc. If you want to know about statistical population bias etc then a good paper is on moron neurone disease and look for the author called Scott.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy