Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria in the summer

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at summer holiday now and contemplating heading to Austria. Have done around 4/5 holidays to Austria n summer and have the option to use my sisters place in Zell for a week. We know that area pretty well having been there a few times before. Question is for the other week. I'm thinking of Mayrhofen having spent 2 great holidays there in my teens. Will probably be driving. Looking for somewhere with lots to do and summer skiing definitely not a priority but would be a nice bonus.

Will take the mountain bikes with us but we are blue run mtb'ers. Will be there with my wife and 2 kids aged 12 and 16. My 19 year old might come too.

Any recommendations on good value gasthof's would be good too as well as somewhere other than Mayrhofen.

Ta
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Landhaus Carla is very good. Its behind the train station in Mayrhofen. I've stayed there a couple of times, although in winter only, and really enjoyed it. Good food, nice bar and very pleasant staff.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stayed in Mayrhofen for a week during 1st week of October a few years ago. Accomodation prices were very low during this period. All main lifts and several mountain restaurants were still open. Even the lifts outside Mayrhofen; at Finkenberg and Zell Am Ziller were still open. Mayrhofen though was very quiet during the evenings. What I liked is the public transport options were superb with busses and trains easily accessible from the village. Further up the valley you can ski at the Hintertux glacier. I would say you cant go wrong with staying in Mayrhofen for a summer vacaction. But there are also many other options throughout Austria that would be just as good.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boabski, What about crossing the Tauern and having a week around the Carinthian lakes such as the Wörthersee? More Mediterranean feeling, and probably warmer than the North side of the ridge and still plenty hills to cycle down? Also not far from Zell and you can use the A10 motorway or go over the Glocknerstasse if you've not done that before?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@robboj, Wörthersee area is like a mixture of Benidorm(but not the British, just the German/Austrian versions) on steroids mixed with a Hell's Angels holiday camp most of the summer! Much nicer lakes in Carinthia that are way more civilised!

@boabski, look at the Ennstal area, any where between Flachau and where the Enns joins the Steyr at Steyr itself. Fantastic long distance cycle path that takes you all the way on to the Danube! Loads to do anywhere along that route as well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mayrhofen is a great location in the summer. As has already been mentioned there's skiing up on the Tux, mountain biking/touring off the Penk down to the valley then follow the river path back for beers etc. and if you want a bit of hiking then the Ahorn offers some great all day walks again back down to the village. We did four days there geetting away from the world cup football and it was perfect. If you are going to drive out then take your own kit as we found that the standard of bike available to hire was poor, but we took our own skis/boots.
To be honest these sorts of things are available in most winter resorts during the summer but having a glacier to ski early mornings on was a deal maker. Either way a great alternative to a beach holiday with the masses.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boabski, Stay both weeks in Zell am See. You can explore Zell, Kaprun, Krimml, Kitzbuhel etc in week 1 and drive 20 mins over to Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang in week 2. As well as good mountain biking, there are activities at the end of the valley (past Hinterglemm) such as a number of Go-Ape type courses, huge cross-valley zip wires (also at Leogang) and nice alpine hikes up to some nice old huts. There is summer skiing on Kitzsteinhorn, or why not try tandem paragliding from the top of Schmittenhohe in Zell or from Schattberg or Zwolfer in Saalbach-Hinterglemm.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 22-02-16 16:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Samerberg Sue, I have friends with a place at Zell who have occasional weekends at Worthersee and love it? They are not the kind of people who would enjoy Benidorm and have never to my knowledge owned a Motorbike.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will start looking into these suggestions folks. Can't stay in Zell for 2 weeks as their house is rented out for one of the weeks. Stayed in Kaprun for 2 weeks a few years ago and did the likes of Krimml and a couple of day trips to Saalbach etc so probably want to explore somewhere a bit different. Looks like one of the main cable cars in Mayrhofen is closed for part of the summer due to major refurb, so not sure what impact that will have.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@robboj, it is called "Ballermann am See" regularly throughout the summer. Sadly I learnt the hard way that it was not as genteel as I had been led to believe. Ossiachersee, Millstättersee, even Faakersee (close to Wörthersee) are on the whole quieter and just as interesting. Weekends in high season are definitely to be avoided if at all possible according to my friends in the area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Samerberg Sue, Ok not sure what Ballermann means however, ignoring the exact localities and with regard to the lakes in general what they like is that it has a different 'feel' compared to anywhere north of the main alpine ridge. Would you agree?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been twice to Maria Alm in the summer and absolutely loved it. Worth a day trip from Zell to see the village and to drive up closer to the mountains at the back before going for a wander in the forest. There's no great hook in terms of a huge waterfall or a spectacular mountain road, but it's a quiet place, off the main road without too many visitors in the summer.

Edited to add... we're going to St Gilgen in the summer. Never been, so I can't give you a trip report, but we are confirmed Austrophiles.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 22-02-16 17:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

not sure what Ballermann means

It's basically the German equivalent of Magaluf....

http://blogs.transparent.com/german/ballermann-the-german-way-to-celebrate-life-for-some/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for the Worthersee. I don't think anyone can seriously describe Velden as Benidorm. Ive heard it described as the Monaco of the north, and that I can agree. I frequently drive down to friends in Krumpendorf and its absolutely beautiful swimming in the Lake etc. The Austrian IM is one of the first ones to get fully booked as soon as its open, so it cant be all that bad.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boabski, we had a fantastic family summer holiday staying with Snowhead Flangesax ( www.austriansummers.com ). So much to do in the area, check them out.....
snow conditions
@robboj, definitely agree and I love the area in summer, but you really need to have all the info as to when to go there! Long weekends in summer there are some pretty heavy duty "events" that are not to my liking at all. It is also a favourite area for school kids to go to celebrate the end of their Matura/Arbitur (A level type/IB exams). When I hit it the first time there was a big "Elefantentreff (loads of Harleys and other biker groups, a heavy metal rock weekend as well as lots of drunken school kids celebrating the end of their school years. Not exactly the quiet relaxing weekend I had planned after a hectic 6 months bringing a software package up to its market launch. The other lakes are way better in my experience
snow report
@Timberwolf, Embarassed Embarassed

The summer site is a bit wonky on a mobile device.... re-work coming soon!

[edit] ... by 'wonky' I mean so wonky that it appears to have fallen down a crevice!

Best get on to that!...
latest report
Anyone been to area47? Looks like the kids would absolutely love it.
latest report
Been looking around and probably going to stay in Tyrol as it makes the drive home easier. Still thinking Mayrhofen should tick most boxes but also thinking of Seefeld or possibly Arlberg. Issue I have with Seefeld that it might be full of the blue rinse brigade so not ideal for a 12 year old, 16 year old and potentially a 19 year old. Was even contemplating Landeck as a base to explore. Want somewhere that's fairly lively in the evenings. Help Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Go to Italy.

Way prettier. Better food. In a different league.

Cortina.
snow report
boabski wrote:
Anyone been to area47? Looks like the kids would absolutely love it.

Area47 is great! Lots of fun stuff to do from climbing walls over pools, a beginner wakeboard tow thing, trampolines, etc. Plenty of real activities to do there too, like rafting and climbing, kayaking courses, mountain biking, etc. Plus there are regular parties/live music events (though I've never been). Lots of hiking just up the valley, MTB at Sölden, incredible spa/sauna at Langenfeld, and you can go see the Ötzi iceman stuff too for some educational activities. Also only about 15 minutes away from the standing wave at Silz if any of you wanted to try river surfing! The onsite surf/kayak shop and cafe is run by a Brit called Ted (often recommended on here for ski transfers through his company http://www.whitedescents.com), so you could get advice and hire kit form him.

Landeck could also work, as could Immst (hiking and a mountain coaster on the ski area above the village). I wouldn't say Landeck is exactly lively at night, but there are bars and a club... Only time I've been to the club was while kayaking nearby, and it wasn't great Laughing
latest report
@boabski, find out what Volksfests/Party events are going on in and around the regions you are looking at around the time you want to go there. It is pretty quiet on the whole, not at all the thumping bars and Apres ski atmosphere of winter unless there is some kind of Fest going on. Summer is the time to out out into the mountains and commune with nature!
ski holidays
@clarky999, @Samerberg Sue, thanks
snow report
boabski wrote:
Been looking around and probably going to stay in Tyrol as it makes the drive home easier. Still thinking Mayrhofen should tick most boxes but also thinking of Seefeld or possibly Arlberg. Issue I have with Seefeld that it might be full of the blue rinse brigade so not ideal for a 12 year old, 16 year old and potentially a 19 year old. Was even contemplating Landeck as a base to explore. Want somewhere that's fairly lively in the evenings. Help Puzzled Puzzled

Our trip to Mayrhofen was in early October and we arrived on the day of the "Almabtrieb" festival and it was fairly lively that night. From then on it was really quiet in the evenings. Suspect July/August will be busier though.

As for Seefeld, I think its a nice village and yes the scenery is nice. But I just feel your a bit restricted on the number of lifts available to take you up higher into the mountains. With Mayrhofen, you have two lifts direct from the village to take you up. More lifts up at the HIntertux glacier just up the valley. More lifts just down the valley at Zell am Ziller and Ramsau and lifts ar nearby Gerlos. Just feel that you have more options to see different parts of the area!!
ski holidays
Thanks for all your help folks. Staying at Lermoos for a couple of nights to allow us to go to area 47 for a day or two. Lermoos was en route from Calais and seemed a bit nicer than some of the towns closer to area 47. Area 47 did not take a reservation on a weekend 🤔 Then heading off to Mayrhofen staying at the Berghof for a week in a nice suite. The Berghof was my first experience of Austria 30 years ago. Then off to my sister's place for 5/6 days in Zell. A fair bit of driving but looking forward to it
snow report
Seefeld is a cracking place for a summer holiday, we've done 4 or 5 now. If there aren't enough lifts running for you then you could always walk up wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy