Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

35 Pairs Skis Stolen Per Day in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.heute.at/news/oesterreich/Bis-zu-35-Paar-Ski-am-Tag-in-Oesterreich-gestohlen;art23655,981169
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's not many considering the number of people skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's what I thought. Sounds minimal when you consider the number of pairs of skis in Austria.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bet more cars are stolen every day than that rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not many, until its your skis
Then is 100% of skis and a Bluddy nuisance
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Friday, December 03, 2004
Ski Cops Fight Romanian Gypsies and Cheating Brits

French police will be stepping up their action against ski theft and insurance fraud this winter after a number of different initiatives being taken by the Gendarmes last winter brought spectacular results. The best results were in the two big Isère resorts of Alpe d'Huez and Les Deux Alpes where reports of ski and snowboard theft were down by 50% from over a thousand in 2002-2003 to just 500 in 2003-2004.

The police say that 95% of theft reports involve hire gear. Most of these are made at the end of a holiday and the vast majority are by British and Dutch guests. Countries where insurance companies do not sufficiently scrutinize claims. The police have therefore decided to ask people who say they are victims of theft to first of all pay the hire shop for their loss before they can put in a complaint. The penalties for false claims are also clearly shown in the Gendarme's offices in different languages. The police have also raided apartments and cars armed with the serial numbers of hire gear. After last winter's successes the operations will be reinforced.

In the Savoie, which has around 50% of the French ski market, ski and snowboard thefts have numbered between 3000 to 4000 each year for the last 3 years. Last year the police kept a record of people who made complaints about theft and they noticed that 621 names came up twice. The police controlled these people when they left the resort and also alerted their tour operators. According to the Colonel Cailloz, insurance fraud isn't the major problem. Theft has more to do with season workers who steal gear to make money for parties. There is organised theft on the TGV at Bourg-Saint-Maurice where thieves get off at Moutiers with people's gear. "There are also hire shops who dump their gear in order to renew their stock. There are a lot of thefts done to order and of course Romanian Gypsies who steal skis and boards in bulk to resell down the valley in ski auctions" According to the Colonel.

Don't let go of your skis over lunch

In the Haute-Savoie, where the British represent just 7% of guest but 24% of thefts measures have been taken to search the cars of foreigners. In the Hautes-Alpes thefts have dropped from 530 to 480. Hire shops have been asked to increase deposits and this seems to have had an affect on false declarations. There has also been a campaign in mountain restaurants to make people aware of the situation

Source: newswire
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My granddaughter's hired skis were nicked at Christmas. Had to pay 190 euros and report to police. Skimium insurance paid less 50 excess. A right hassle.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Slow news day maybe? Most of the "stolen" skis turn up returned to the hire shops eventually, because some drunken muppet thought his/her skis "were red just like these". Of all the pairs I've known taken most were taken in error and so far all but one pair (that I know of) have turned up at the ski hire shop. Despite me wanting mine taken a couple of times, they have been studiously ignored by the so-called "organised gangs of eastern European/refugee/gypsy bands( - take your pick of favourite hated group). wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ein paar paare. Chortle chortle.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i always lock my skis when left outside restaurants. Always suprised how few others do.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim wrote:
i always lock my skis when left outside restaurants. Always suprised how few others do.

I do if down at village level and out of sight. Otherwise I tend not to bother. As pointed out above, 35 pairs of skis stolen out of the total number of skiers is insignificant. Austria has around 55 million skier days per year, spread over a season of about 150 days. Which means over 330,000 people per day (average). So not much more than a 1 in 10,000 chance of having your skis stolen.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hire shop in Ischgl tried to get me too take out additional insurance against theft. I declined. Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@alex_heney, I imagine the likelihood increases dramatically if you have desirable non-rental skis. I always lock and/or split skis.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Usually mix up the skis, didn't at the restaurant at the top of Fleckalm in Kirchberg last week. My eldest got angry that someone had moved his skis and put theirs in his place, and swapped them round, but the pair he thought were his rentals - identical make and from same hire shop - weren't and were smaller and bindings set too small. He and my wife took a photo of the bar code and set off down the gondola to the hire shop. I stayed on sentry duty to see if someone came to either return my sons skis or if the left pair were collected. All other skis nearby were taken, wife texted to say shop says to bring skis down. Shop reset the bindings and we returned to the slopes.

Shop said it happened often, which I can believe as having waited for a while watching people try to remember where they put their skis would have been amusing had my sons not been taken.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hence another reason for a small lock. Fits in yer pocket, locks your two skis together and to a post should you wish. Ok somebody determined could still get them, but it prevents the accidental taking by a drunken guy on the way down from Mooserwirt or wherever. Definitely worth noting the barcode with hire skis, especially as so often there are so many of the same skis kicking around in resort. It's one of the details I take with kids groups in ski school, for a group of say 8 kids, chances are about half of them have identical skis...
snow report
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I did have a small lock in my pocket, but didn't bother with it. Yes I deserve all the derision I have got & will get Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
Was it Intersport or Andis you used?
latest report
Andis- as recommended by you Very Happy
snow report
Pleasure, just glad a bad situation wasn't made worse by the hire shop. And I hope you got a discount?
snow report
Jafa

Have to say great service from Andis overall.
snow conditions
If there is a walk on lift system nearby then always lock otherwise if you need to ski to where they are left outside then just split the pairs up. Might not make the biggest difference but keeps me relaxed at lunch which is the more important. So far so good.
snow report
A simple Velcro ski-tie is enough to prevent accidental mix-ups resulting in the wrong skis being taken. Just get yourself an unusual one and it will be effective.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy