Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

N + 1, I've got a plan!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Right, current quiver, Movement Scoop 102 underfoot STH12, Faction Royale 122 underfoot FKS 140, got a pair of old Rossignol Bandit 2 (i think) no bindings knocking around.

My plan / wish / desire / aboslute requirement!!! is to have mulitples of 10. The old bandits I would like to make into a little day tour / dog walking ski so need to find boots and tech bindings for them at some point but no mad rush. Always had twin tip park skis and since I sold my Ninthwards and Libertys last year and my favourite old Armada AR5's died as a result of well intentioned full edge replacement, so I need some new park skis, feel lost without them.

Well the plan in my head is to have something within each 10 mm range, 80 for the bandits, 90 for a park ski, 100 everyday driver, 110 bit of new snow about, 120 for lots of fresh!!

All seems good in my head, but, not too sure if I can justify the 110 bracket! Which is a damn shame as there are a pair of Down Throwdown 110's going on a popular second hand ski site out here and I've always liked the look of them. Will they be a waste? Will they always get left hanging on the ski rack? Or will the Movement suddenly become surplus to requirements?

Any opinions on the dilemma welcome.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pumba, FWIW the Throwdowns are only €249 new atm. Would you save much by going second hand?

I don't know the scoop, but a quick google suggest that it only has a little bit of early rise. I'd have though the increased rocker in the TDs would make them ski pretty differently, but I don't know for sure!

You could also consider the CD114s (€299 new) for the 110mm bracket. I have the metal version of them - by no means an all out pow ski (no conflict with your Factions for real surf and slash), but very very versatile. Rip groomers (they're actually my narrowest ski), crud, upto 30cms powder, slush, re-frozen mank, etc etc really well.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 18-02-16 12:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, Found some at €180 without bindings, and not wanting to upset anyone in the graphics dept at Down, I was all set to go for some of the Throwdown series this year but didn't like the look! Preferred the older topsheet. Considered the CD but really am a lazy back bottom and love the soft noodles as everyone likes to call them! However, I am only 5ft6" 11 and a half stone and absolutely love the factions in 190, so maybe not that fussy eh! Not really after an all out pow ski, although I live next to the ,ountains I have my own herd of children so going up every day / week really isn't always possible, I just have a fetish for skis really!!! And if you live next door and don't have to worry about Ryanair baggage costs why not have a whole range to choose from before you chuck a couple of pairs in the boot for the day ( and yes I mean chuck, they are tools for crying out loud, not fragile ornaments!).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Pumba, haha right on! Very Happy

Can't go wrong really at €180, I doubt you'd loose much if you sold them on again!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So this is scarily similar to my situation!

I currently have a battered pair of Liberty LTEs, A pair of Scoops, and a pair of Liberty Genomes, which are 141 under the boot...

I think I've become realistic about the LTEs, they are completely shagged and now next to useless on piste and at 34 my park days (such as they ever were) are probably done. So they're not coming to the mountains any more, just saved for those (embarrassing) snowdome jump nights...

Then the Genomes I had when doing a season, by far and away the most ridiculous Powder ski imaginable, absolutely awesome in fresh pow, completely unskiiable in anything else. They will not go through anything, they only go over, nightmare in chopped up snow! Currently justifying the place in the loft on the basis of potential Japow plans... But just barely really...

Then there's the whole getting multiple pairs to the alps thing. I can get 2 pairs in my bag, and (so far) past the airline weight limits, but not 3...

So thinking something in the 80-85mm range. And a Pow ski.

But does that rule out the scoops as not really being fat enough these days? Which would be a crying shame as they are easily the funnest ski I've ever skied, and have more than held their own in some pretty good pow... But... How to justify keeping them?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@flaming, Park days are not over at 34, I'm 44 and looking for some park skis!!! The Movement Scoops are great skis, have no problem in the powder with them therefore that is the dilemma with the Throwdowns. Think I might have to get some park skis first, although the scoops are ok in the park as well!! Aah! By the way, among my previous skis that I cleared out last year I had a pair of Liberty Hazmats, they were a great pair of skis as well! Such similar tastes.

@clarky999, Yes at that price it really should be a no brainer! You should see the price that some people are asking for Down skis on Leboncoin here, I saw a pair being advertised at €900 last year, which is considerably more than the price direct from Down!! No real intention of selling skis on now, just going to become a hoarder.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy