Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapest Ski Pass in the Alps area?

Poster: A snowHead
We went skiing on the ice over Christmas and got addicted. Now that the snow arrived, I am seeing if we can go again Easter. Does anybody know the cheapest area to ski in the alps? We only need blue runs.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are currently in La Clusaz and the local area ski pass was free with our booking with Crystal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@louiscrow,
I don't know the cheapest but Valfrejus is pretty reasonably priced for it's lift passes and has got plenty of pleasant blue runs that are North facing and hold their snow until Easter well.

http://www.valfrejus.com/en/skipass
You could certainly drive their from the channel reasonably quickly Motorway most of the way though the last few miles are up hill.

Bonneval in the same valley is even cheaper but its skiing is more limited in extent but more challenging in terrain.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheapest usually means low mileage and more importantly at Easter low altitude

We have got cheap lift passes before in very small resorts, fine for a weekend, but not so for a week
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wait till the very last minute and look out for a cheap package deal.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Book a holiday with Sunweb or Snowtrex. In France they include free ski passes for all and are VERY cheap, I have been to Portes du Soleil, Grand Massif, Val Thorens, Les Sybelles, Tignes and Le Grande Domaine in recent times with them and paid £150-£200 per week for self catering+weeks ski pass. I thought too good to be true when I first booked but now I wouldn't look anywhere else
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Cheapest usually means low mileage and more importantly at Easter low altitude

Valfrejus has enough altitude and northerly aspect for Easter skiing I have skied in similar resorts many times at this time of year and have skied in Valfrejus at this time.
The mileage is not massively high but 70km is a fair amount for someone in what sounds like their second week of skiing, I have certainly had a week of fun in smaller places than that.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you can go after Easter the effective cost of an EOSB lift pass is probably the best bang for buck late season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Livigno in Italy has alway been pretty good value and it's high altitude and snow sure conditions mean its great for a late booking.

Ouch!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@louiscrow, Austria cheaper than France, look at Ischgl, plenty blues there.....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Austria cheaper than France, look at Ischgl, plenty blues there.....

?

This is the first time I have seen Ischgl and cheaper in the same sentence. In my albeit limited expereice is that Austria and France are about the same cost wise.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beer is cheaper in Austria but I think ski passes are comparable all over.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Everybody thanks for the information, really appreciated.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
it depends how small an area you're prepared to go to, plaine joux down the road from Chamonix does a season pass for about 100 euros...
snow conditions
@alasdair whats the catch with Sunweb?
ski holidays
alangibson73 wrote:
We are currently in La Clusaz and the local area ski pass was free with our booking with Crystal.

You can't beat free. Cheapest I've done this year for a full day adult lift pass is 6 euros.
snow report
The cheapest ski pass I have seen was a one month "season pass" for Langraf at IIRC 40 euro.
snow conditions
Sorry just realised the thread topic was for the Alps. Langraf is not in the Alps

@davidof, Where? And were the lifts working?
ski holidays
As I've banged on about before for the past two seasons, resorts in the Queyras reduce their passes by 50% after the holidays, though I have not checked what they are doing this year what with Easter being early.

However snow's not been too good, google St Veran (highest commune in Europe) Abries, Ristolas.

And repeating myself again, St Veran is how a resort would like if Carlsberg / Disney decided to design one - very cute !
ski holidays
@louiscrow, if you have children, ski passes for the Ski Amadé region of Salzburgerland for the under 16s (I think that's the cut off, CBA to look really) are free if at least 1 adult buys a normal 6-day weekly pass! Starts usually the week after the last high Season week, which is this week I believe, so at Easter the kids ski for free! And Easter is in March this year remember wink
snow report
Albiez at 128.50 euros for six days:
http://albiez.fr/telechargement/
Ideal for beginners plus discounts for families and lessons.

Might be touch and go at Easter mind. Depends how the snow goes for the rest of the season.
ski holidays
@johnE, Austria IS cheaper than France for skiing, cheaper options for skiing Ischgl too, stay in Kappl for example....
snow conditions
No catch with Sunweb louise. They are a large holiday company, just don't get many Brit's using them.
ski holidays
Cheapest ski pass doesn't necessarily equate to cheapest ski holiday. For a start there is no such thing as a free ski pass. Snowtrex include the lift pass in their accommodation prices. When I've done a price comparison in the past versus my own accommodation search + standard lift pass it hasn't worked out any cheaper. Secondly, lift passes are just part of the overall holiday cost. If the accommodation is expensive or flights expensive or other costs expensive then it could be that the money saved is just eaten up elsewhere. Thirdly, and probably most importantly, you want to go somewhere that has the right skiing for you. The area with the cheapest lift pass could be the least suitable for your level and needs for skiing and/or the resort may not have the right sort of accommodation and transfer options.

Given it's only your second week and you clearly have budgetry constraints - I'd be thinking a smaller resort. We went to La Norma at Easter and the lift pass and accommodation was far cheaper than the likes of Paradiski or ADH that we most often go to. And the skiing would be right up your street. But there a few other options like that.

Question is, how exactly are you looking to do this trip. DIY v TO, flying or driving, self catered or not?
latest report
Les contamines website. I got accommodation and pass for 163 euros per person. That is for easter week

I have been to chamrousse with snowtrex, I'd definitely use them again, and ski area was great for my family.
ski holidays
Thanks all
snow conditions
@louiscrow, you can buy points rather than a full lift pass in some places, with smaller lifts using fewer points. Should work out cheaper if you arent tearing around the mountain all day. I know Livigno does this and im sure others do too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Free drags and bus service in courchevel gives you access to several runs for free, not sure I'd want to bus back up each time though Wink
snow report
I'd add a plus to the Maurriene Valley ( La Norma as suggested by @Layne,) all of the ski areas at that end of the valley offer some very good overall costs and probably a better balance than some of the more well known ski areas regarding the total spend rather than jus the lift ticket cost.

They are also better just on a straight ticket price as well for some fairly large area skiing especially if based in Val cenis, bus connects to the other local areas can be included in that price also.
snow report
Feldberg offers a free lift pass with most accommodation options (http://www.hochschwarzwald.de/Card). Probably won't be any good at Easter (it's low and likely to have lost its snow), but it's certainly good value in mid-season. Worked out less than £70/night (<£20 each) total for a family of 4 for a nice apartment, lift pass, sledge hire, swimming pool access etc.
snow report
If you want cheap then check out Action Outdoors (UCPA UK agent) their deals include lift pass in all the cases I've seen. Some of the prices for Easter (March 20 something) week are outrageously cheap considering the bank holiday dates and being early this year and that they include three proper meals a day. Had a really good week in their place in VT at New Year, if you are doing a week I'd look at that or Tignes for altitude.
latest report
Layne wrote:
Cheapest ski pass doesn't necessarily equate to cheapest ski holiday. For a start there is no such thing as a free ski pass. Snowtrex include the lift pass in their accommodation prices. When I've done a price comparison in the past versus my own accommodation search + standard lift pass it hasn't worked out any cheaper. Secondly, lift passes are just part of the overall holiday cost. If the accommodation is expensive or flights expensive or other costs expensive then it could be that the money saved is just eaten up elsewhere. Thirdly, and probably most importantly, you want to go somewhere that has the right skiing for you. The area with the cheapest lift pass could be the least suitable for your level and needs for skiing and/or the resort may not have the right sort of accommodation and transfer options.

Given it's only your second week and you clearly have budgetry constraints - I'd be thinking a smaller resort. We went to La Norma at Easter and the lift pass and accommodation was far cheaper than the likes of Paradiski or ADH that we most often go to. And the skiing would be right up your street. But there a few other options like that.

Question is, how exactly are you looking to do this trip. DIY v TO, flying or driving, self catered or not?

You must have found some seriously cheap accommodation then, as I've seen snowtrex deals where the cost of accommodation AND a lift pass costs about the same as lift pass alone (sourced separately).

As mentioned by someone else higher up in the thread, it's possible to get accommodation AND a lift pass for around £150-£200 per person, per week.
snow conditions
Quote:

I've seen snowtrex deals where the cost of accommodation AND a lift pass costs about the same as lift pass alone

those'll be the deals where you have 6 people in a shoebox. wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I've seen snowtrex deals where the cost of accommodation AND a lift pass costs about the same as lift pass alone

those'll be the deals where you have 6 people in a shoebox. wink

Those are less than £100 per person Smile

Plenty of 30m2 to 40m2 appartments for 4 people for well under £150 per person. Pretty decent price for a weeks accommodation and lift pass IMO.
latest report
Quote:

Plenty of 30m2 to 40m2 appartments for 4 people for well under £150 per person.

That is £600, or 780 euro for an apartment for a week. Very good value with a lift pass thrown in, but not without.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

That is £600, or 780 euro for an apartment for a week. Very good value with a lift pass thrown in, but not without.

Yes, those prices INCLUDE lift passes.

In fact there are deals on there for less than £100 per person for a weeks accommodation and lift pass!
latest report
if you go on to Val di Sole Dolomites website 2 -10 april they offer free lift passes. Great area Folgarida, Madonna Di Campiglio and Marilleva passo tonale all included in ski pass
latest report
if you go on to Val di Sole (Dolomites) website 2 -10 april they offer free lift passes. Great area Folgarida, Madonna Di Campiglio and Marilleva passo tonale all included in ski pass
latest report
mikeycharlton wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Yes, those prices INCLUDE lift passes.

In fact there are deals on there for less than £100 per person for a weeks accommodation and lift pass!

Had a look at snowtrex and have never been clear on the ski pass offer - is that ONE per booking or includes one PER PERSON in the booking?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy