Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inverness to Geneva Flight Query

Poster: A snowHead
We are booked through Inghams and flying with Flybe next month from Inverness (Dalcross) to Geneva. This is our first ski holiday from Inverness. As we reckon the plane will be smaller than those from Edinburgh or Glasgow, we are wondering how stringent the check-in will be with baggage weights and extra boot bags on top of ski bags. Any info much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No intrinsic reason why the aircraft should be particularly small from Inverness. Which airline are you using, check their website?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Could go both ways...

I used to fly a lot from Aberdeen, mostly also on small planes. It was my favourite place to fly with a kayak from, as their scales were too small to weigh it so they had to take my word for the factory weight (which didn't include all the kit and sleeping bags stuffed inside it...). That was with Easyjet though.

FWIW I routinely broke FlyBe's rules on ski length flying from Aberdeen too and they never batted an eye (or even asked about it).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dode, almost certainly a charter so Inghams rules I'd expect. Flybe's own fleet is mostly little Dash-8s. But for a ski charter service maybe they've leased something a bit bigger!

I would expect in any case that they'd be absolutely stringent on weights and pieces and you'd have to book skis in advance. i.e. 1 checked piece 20kgs + hand luggage.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We went through the booking process for an Inverness flight last season with Inghams. Ski carriage was limited to 15 sets per flight. You had to complete booking and then contact flybe to see if there was any carriage left (found this out on a phonecall to inghams customer services) that put us off. However this year free carriage is included on the flight. We have prebooked this. Just wondering how stringent they are at checkin re: weight. At EDI or GLA they let the odd couple of kilo slide and rarely (for us anyway) weigh ski bags.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@dode, ah, good you got the skis sorted. It's been a while since I flew package with skis. I have seen them weighed though!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a look at the Inghams flights but they only run once a week, and you had to phone to inquire on flight only deals ... rather quaint Happy we are flying to Geneva from Edinburgh for a long weekend via easyjet. But we obviously have a 3hr+ drive, and pay for carparking etc in Edinburgh airport. I would be interested to know what they are charging for flight only
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm pretty sure they use either an Embraer 170 or 190 on that route. It's a Flybe operated charter and they are nice aircraft to fly in.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@suzysparkle, yes, nice new jets.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What is the weight allowance of the skis? Do you also get a suitcase? Or is the skis bag instead of suitcase?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure re: ski bag weight (usually 12 or 15kg i think). We have cases, ski bags and hand luggage allowance. Normally we also take a couple of boot bags and they always go through, no questions asked. And going by the number of boot bags in the chk in queue we are certainly not alone. The odd kilo of a difference is let slide too.
I was just wondering how stringent Dalcross was, as last year we were told ski carriage was limited to 15 sets per flight. So they may be more limited.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dode, I'm slightly astonished that they allow extra bags.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If your only away for a week and are allowed a suitcase, ski bag and boot bag each, I struggle to imagine you would need to be overweight. I can travel for a week with double ski bag holding skis, boots, helmet and some clothes and hand luggage only!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How long is the flight? Is it direct?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@speachmaus, Im not 100% sure we are allowed a boot bag, hence the question about how strict they are.

@Filthyphil30k, Yep, direct. Think it is about two and a half hours. Runs once a week.
latest report
Not flown to Geneva from Inverness.... Flew to Manchester in a Bombardier Dash 8 and Gatwick in a Embraer E-195 both with ski gear find inverness no diferent than any other airport... Manchester made me pay and excess on the way back though... think i was 2kg over Inverness let me off
snow report
Just got home.

Was prolly my best ever transfer. Flight held 86, 40-odd seats taken. A few old faces we hadn't seen in a while and a few new faces that all got chatting. We had 3x cases, 3x ski bags, 2x boot bags... All checked in without question, and without extra charge.
Only about 30-odd on flight home. Think we were last to turn up, but the queue was so small it was a dawdle. Lots of "Oh, it's yourself! How was your holiday?"
Only complaint was that I got too busy chatting to read my book!
Inghams have already renewed the route for next season. Happy days.
snow conditions
kaiserpc wrote:
I had a look at the Inghams flights but they only run once a week, and you had to phone to inquire on flight only deals ... rather quaint Happy we are flying to Geneva from Edinburgh for a long weekend via easyjet. But we obviously have a 3hr+ drive, and pay for carparking etc in Edinburgh airport. I would be interested to know what they are charging for flight only

You probably know this already but, depending on what you're paying at Edinburgh airport for parking and how many of you there are, it might be worth considering the Ferrytoll park and ride just before you get to the Forth Road Bridge. You can leave your car for up to 7 nights and it costs £10 return pp on the bus from there direct to the airport. Bus takes about 20 mins IIRC.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy