Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Cervinia too tame?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks.

Looking to pick a resort for next New Year. This will be a 4th/5th trip for older teenagers & parents.

We've done Flaine twice, Obergurgl & Mayrhofen. I'd say we were all comfortable red-run skiers, although Mayrhofen this year was challenging at times. Our guide told us there were more than a few 'blacky reds' in the resort and I'm not sure how much the higher temperatures (20 degrees at the top one lunchtime!) changed the profile - all machine snow and more than few large icy patches. We were doing a couple of blacks in Obergurgl and all reds in Flaine two years earlier. In Obergurgl last yr, there was heavy snow, so Instructor kept us down the mountain and we did lots of powder/side of piste stuff that we all really enjoyed.

So, now whilst I've really enjoyed Austria, I'm keen to try somewhere different. As it's the New Year week, we're looking for somewhere relatively snow sure. Other travellers prefer the half-board hotel route, so chalet/self-catering is out.

Oh - and we have a boarder! My daughter switched from skiing this last trip.

Cervinia seems to tick a lot of boxes, but reading between the lines, sounds as though it might lack challenge - even for our Intermediate level? I've obviously read about the opportunity to go to the Zermatt side, but have read more than a few anecdotes about weather closing that (and sometimes when you are on the wrong side!) and perhaps is a lot of lift hassle to get back?

Really appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Heeb
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervinia skiing is very fine for intermediates like you are describing yourselves.
The lack of challenges applies to people looking for off-piste (partly due to glaciers) and really steep piste
Don't expect the Mayrhofen atmosphere in-village though, Cervinia comes closer to Flaine on that....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Heebson, there's certainly more challenging piste skiing on the Zermatt side, but Cervinia does have some lovely long runs too. Don't worry about getting back from Zermatt, yes occasionally they close the lifts due to high winds, but there are T-bars to the top on the Zermatt side which aren't closed, just plan your timings carefully. The downside to Cervinia is that it is treeless so pretty bleak in a white-out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Heebson, Cervinia is an intermediates paradise - should be right up your street.

They try to keep the drag lifts from Zermatt back to Cervinia open when there are wind issues - to ensure people can get back! It's the longest TWO T-bars in the world! Well that's what it felt like anyway. Otherwise it's fine and a chance to get pretty much to the top of the Kleiner Matterhorn.

I think Cervinia will tick most of your boxes - I'd go for it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cervinia piste skiing is mostly very easy, great for newbies, confident ones will be able to ski lots of easy runs with no surprises. Intermediate covers quite a wide range of talent and aspirations. IMHO it will be too easy for teenagers, but they may enjoy the speed and open slopes. A lot of it is so easy there is a temptation to bank/lean your turns and pick up some bad habits. I would choose another resort for more mix of runs. Don't get me wrong I have been there as a beginner myself and with children as beginners. But if you can ski a bit and like a challenge, I would choose elsewhere. Some great views at the top though and nice to finish the day with very long run from top to bottom (after a small refresher).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would go for it. The fact that you get Zermatt makes all the difference. We skied there most days during the week we went there. It gives a great sense of travelling and the slopes in Switzerland offer plenty of different challenges. As for the link, you can normally get pretty accurate forecasts in the morning. If it looks like it might be dodgy later, stay in Italy. There's still plenty to do for 2-3 days, with some nice long runs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's fine - lots of relatively safe off piste (all usual caveats apply), some people who claim it isn't challenging enough for them basically are only groomer heroes IMV. Some of the groomers are a bit flatsville yawn though & might actually require some tactical speed at times on a board.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Am there right now! The one big point in its favour in my opinion is a serious lack of queues. It is half term (sooooo glad not in France) plus a Geneva holiday too & I've honestly not stood for more than a couple of mins at any lift.
Snow sure as high - I would also add that having been here at half term 2 years in a row, the snow conditions have def been better on the Italian side as well.
Ventina is a great blast (we are staying Ventina piste side) & the run to Valtournenche is great too, thro the trees. Yes, some of the runs are a bit flat but the kids just bomb them!
It's a doddle to get to Zermatt & no queues meant was really quite quick, managed it easily & that's even having my son's friend (they're both 16) with us who's not done nearly as much skiing.....the Swiss piste map is not the easiest though & we came across one chairlift that didn't seem to be on the map! All part of the fun!
Been a great sunny week...if cold! Not experienced the lift closure probs that others mention.
Plus there's always the food! And the lovely Italian people. What's not to like tbh??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just skied there from Zermatt a couple of weeks ago when I went over to see some friends.....I had forgotten how good the skiing is, ok the Cervinia side isn't as challenging as some as @malarkey99, says Ventina (I think its also Red 7) is great and a couple of the restaurants we went to were outstanding and amazing value, I say go for it
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd go with the positive views also, as a good mix for your group I feel it's ideal.
I think there's always a good range in many places that are dismissed by some as not challenging enough and you have to be pretty jaded to count out Cervinia on that basis.
As @malarkey99, has covered, there's many other parts that make up your time it addition to the skiing. I'd also agree with a nice relaxing atmosphere and friendly approach of the people that work there.
I went to Italian ski school there to learn snowboarding (I'm normally a skier) and just thought they were so good with a great teaching approach.
I know Flaine well and like it alot, Cervinia makes a nice contrast to that. Also skied the Zermatt area immediately bordering Cervinia in which the scale makes you feel truly very small as it's so vast.
I think you'd have a nice adventure going there, well worth it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Heebson, it's a nice hill with snow and lovely huts, what's the issue?

If you want steep go to La Grave.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went to Cervinia for my 4th or 5th week away. We had a great time. The lack of anything mega steep actually helped my skiing at that time, it's easy to relax a bit more and just enjoy the lovely long wide pistes. Definitely a confidence boosting place.

That said I had some mental block when skiing from the top of the Klein Matterhorn, I didn't want to get too close to the edge as it seemed a long way down - so I'd just potter down. Wonder if I'd find it different if I went back?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Obviously if you are an expert skier any piste can seem easy. However the red and blacks down from the Plan Torrete lift serviced area are certainly not too easy for an intermediate. Even the Ventina at the top is fairly challenging (I know from the swear words thrown at me by friends who are intermediates who I took on it telling them it was no problem!).

On the connection back from Switzerland. Yes it sometimes doesn't open. But I have never met a single person who has been stranded because of the lifts closing during the day (everyone knows someone who knows someone ...). I do know people who have missed the last lift back but that was their fault (they blame the alcohol) not the lifts. They do sometimes have messages asking guest from Cervinia to return because of the weather but they keep the connection going to get you all back (or me back the other way).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all for the detailed replies - really helpful!

So I think it's still in the cards (considering Val Thorens as an alternative).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Heebson, just FYI, as skitrack mentioned, those two T-bars back to Cervinia really are (or feel like) the longest T-bars in the world, especially in bad weather. Use only if you must.
latest report
@malarkey99, interesting, thinking of Cervinia next year, did you diy or use a package company?
snow report
Quote:
A lot of it is so easy there is a temptation to bank/lean your turns and pick up some bad habits
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Not a phenomenon I've come across in 28 years of skiing...Blaming a ski area for bad habits??

Skied 150+ areas in that time - and loved Cervinia. Been a few times:
- Snowsure.
- Fantastic long, cruising runs - and not all are gentle.
- Zermatt skiing is brilliant - as are the Matterhorn views from the Swiss side.
- Perfect for your group.

I'd say go for it.
snow conditions
Go for it, skiing fine unless you want seriously steep stuff. And also at least 2 of the very best restaurants in the Alps, Chalet Etoile and Bontadini. Worth going just for these alone! Zermatt connection a cinch, unless the weather closes, but have skied to Cervinia from Zermatt a number of times, and always enjoyed it.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
A lot of it is so easy there is a temptation to bank/lean your turns and pick up some bad habits
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Not a phenomenon I've come across in 28 years of skiing...Blaming a ski area for bad habits??

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@kitenski we did diy. Booked easyjet flights to milan malpensa as soon as came out as still stuck w half term.
Used Immobiliare La Tour for apartment (they're lovely, friendly & v helpful-bought me brekkie as we arrived so late @ no charge).
It was, let's call it rustic, but ticked my main boxes - piste side, you skied thro trees at ventina just before end to building, 2 proper bedrooms & 100m downhill walk to bubble in morning. Ski hire there too. Easy. Shops/restaurants short walk. Town centre all v compact tbh which suited us.
We will go somewhere different next year, but I would def have it on my list for future. We had a fab week. I'd recommend it.
snow conditions
[quote="mountainaddict"]
Quote:

Skied 150+ areas in that time - and loved Cervinia. Been a few times:

...and how big was that fish??
latest report
Quote:
...and how big was that fish??
Was that a failed attempt at sarcasm?

What's wrong with putting my view of Cervinia in context with the number of places I've skied? It strengthens the assertion that the OP should go there.
snow conditions
@SkiingDad,
They have to be the longest T bars in the world............reading these posts that nightmare just came back to me Sad
Enjoyed Cervinia though & quite fancy a return visit ( been twice already).
latest report
"Bad habits"? Well my point was, because the skiing on piste is mostly v.easy there is no need to be concerned about falling or be tested by the slope, and next time u find youself on something steep you may find that the banked turn that worked ok is not so effective. VT would be better choice I reckon.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy