Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family Trip to Bulgaria in March - your thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

The family (Me, Mrs and 5 year old daughter) are itching to go skiing this year, and as cash is a bit of an issue (would like to keep the holiday budget to a grand if possible) , were thinking Bulgaria.

Both me and the Mrs are competent Skiiers (confident on Reds) and the little one has had one weeks ski school in france last year and 3 trips to the snowdome, her skiing is coming along nicely. We want her to go into ski school in the mornings, so a good quality ski school with English speakers is absolutely essential.

Looking around at the 2nd week of march I can see some nice 4 stars with a pool for the 250/300 mark in Borovets / Bankso which seem to tick all the boxes.

Any thoughts suitability on Bulgaria as a destination for us?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just spotted this on Trip advisor and I`m reconsidering! Is this a fair account of Bankso?

Quote:

The worst ski resort I've ever been to, and I warn of everyone who thinks of going to Bansko not to go.

A normal day here is:-
Waking up at 7am, grab some quick breakfast to rush to the gondola station for no later than 8:30.
Any later and you'll queue for an 1 hour - 1 hour 30. Once in the gondola it will take 25mins to ride to the ski area.

Many people who had booked lessons either didn't get any or the instructors didn't care. Which meant many people self learning on the slopes, and it showed.

Spent the whole trip listening to people complaining about instructors or broken hire kit.

We had two decent days, the runs are nice but be warned the blues on the peak are extremely steep, and should of never been graded as blue.

Day 3 - lifts to the top were closed as some championship is on its way into town, so they don't want people taking off the small amount of snow already on the runs.
This wouldn't of been a problem if there was more to do, but with those lifts closed mean that queues for a lift would take 50minutes and 5 to ski down.
No snow at this point just runs of sheer ice, full of people who haven't had a single lesson.

Day 4 - same as day 3 apart from I was back in my hotel room by 10:30am.

Day 5-6 didn't even bother with the slopes, and I seriously enjoy my skiing, is this the first time ever I couldn't be bothered to ski.

The only positive I can safely say is the food is amazing. Found some real gems in the old town.

But I can safely say me and my partner and every English person we spoke to will never be returning.

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@scoob101, I suspect you may get some anti-Bulgaria sentiments in response. It's been too long since I've been there to comment personally. However, 2 families who are friends of ours, similar standard and kids age to yourselves, are going on their 3rd consecutive March trip to Bulgaria in 3 weeks time. They've had good snow conditions each time all 9 of them have thoroughly enjoyed themselves. The only reservation is that they describe the food as 'OK'...nothing special. I could ask for more details from them if you were interested.

I'm struggling to think of somewhere better for anywhere near to that price. Is food included in 250/300 per week? Possibly a very late booking deal with someone like Esprit might get you to France or Austria for a similar price...but lift passes and everything else would then be more expensive than Bulgaria.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never been to Bulgaria but worth having a look at Andorra, just had a very nice week there and everyone we spoke to was highly complimentary about the ski school (Arinsal). Smaller resort and the snow wasn't ideal but I would estimate nearly half the price of France/Austria.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@scoob101, I am currently sat in Bansko is burning hot sun - forecast said high of 21 but feels hotter! If this heat stays I hate to think what the state of the slopes will be like in March.

I would read my other thread re ski school. Though the Ski mania experience today was positive. However as we didn't get to the gondola until 9am the lift queue looked in exces of 2hrs and I am not exaggerating. We had to get to the top of gondola for 11am ski school and wouldn't have made it. So took up on of the taxi totes for a ride up family of 4 for 30lev.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The £1000 budget. Is that 'all in' or just flights, transfer and accommodation?

I only ask as I have seen some late deals in France advertised that would come in around that mark.

Then I guess lift passes and ski hire is more expensive in France and may push the cost too far.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Esprit just sent an advert to us. £1099 to Gressoney for 2 adults 1 child going on 27 Feb.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ive been looking at the webcams and it doesnt look good at all Sad
Anyone any idea whats up? looks like slush and no cannons are running.
Im due to take the kids at easter.
Will it get cold again? im considering cancelling so any predictions much appreciated.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

no cannons are running.

see the post from @NickyJ, who is there at the moment. It's far, far, too hot for cannons.

Nobody knows what conditions will be like at Easter. Will you lose a lot by cancelling? If not, I think that's what I'd do. Should be some decent last minute deals around for Easter - though there will be some resorts, especially in the south, which have had rather little snow so far this season and could be very poor by Easter. I'd wait till the very, very, last minute.

30 lev is about £12 I think? No way I'd queue for 2 hours, with four people, to save £12. I'd prefer to take the taxi and have a sandwich for lunch!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
firstly its half term..... so there will be queues as the main downside with Bansko is there's only the one way up the mountain, the gondola (ok so those in the know do the taxi thing and jump the queue but for the normal punter) we went at half term two years ago, it was around 3/4 degrees up top but down at the base we were sunbathing it was low to mid 20's. The lift system, the restaurants on the mountain all very good now, but you're talking mid march, last year we had so much snow then that the race training was called off for three days as it wasn't safe to put a course up due to the snow.

Weve been in march for the last 7 years and we've always had brilliant snow, but we go to Borovets, have you considered there instead???? it will still be dirt cheap, have a look at Balkan doing some great deals at the moment, we are back out race training 1-10th april the slopes are quiet, the lift pass is about £12 a day and the restaurants drop their prices as well. I wouldn't cancel, just be patient. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hawkwind wrote:
Ive been looking at the webcams and it doesnt look good at all Sad
Anyone any idea whats up? looks like slush and no cannons are running.
Im due to take the kids at easter.
Will it get cold again? im considering cancelling so any predictions much appreciated.

The runs from the very top have nice snow on this morning. But once you drop to part way down run 10 you are getting slush. Once you get to 1600 there is a lot of slush and pure puddles / ponds of water

It is cooler today but still above freezing.

By taking the 8am (earliest) bus from our accommodation and then using the ski bus we got up in relatively good time (for Bansko).

It is going to be colder this weekend, but not cold enough. There is always a chance that it will turn cold again....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're looking at Borovets for a last minute, but won't bother unless there's better weather.

Bulgaria doesn't suit everyone. Personally I've enjoyed the two trips we've done but there are others who really don't like the place. I think the skiing is a bit limited for folks who know what they are doing and like to ski new areas every day (which isn't me).

For two of us it's nine hundred pounds all in (flights, transfer, hotel, food, gear, passes, tuition) plus beer money. Looking at similar European alternatives it's around fifteen hundred.

Just needs some snow...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think this is the problem - it doesn't matter how cheap it is, if there's no snow and the infrastructure is rubbish, you might as well pay more and get decent conditions, efficient lift systems, and a better experience.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nothing would induce me to stand in a lift queue for 2 hours. Or even 1 hour, come to that. You'd need to pay me a decent hourly rate - not expect me to be paying for the privelege. Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
iskar wrote:
The lift system, the restaurants on the mountain all very good now, but you're talking mid march, last year we had so much snow then that the race training was called off for three days as it wasn't safe to put a course up due to the snow.

I'm not anti-Bansko or Bulgaria (I've never been) but how can the lift system be described as "all very good now" if the queues to access the mountain are 90 minutes to two hours long?
latest report
@LOTA, I suspect they mean that they are all modern high speed lifts. Unfortunately the 1 lift to get from resort at 900m to the to the skiing at 1600m and above doesn't have the capacity to cope at peak times (halt term). taxi's and the shuttle buses are an option, but I suspect at half term the wait for these could be just as bad.
ski holidays
joydivision wrote:
@LOTA, I suspect they mean that they are all modern high speed lifts. Unfortunately the 1 lift to get from resort at 900m to the to the skiing at 1600m and above doesn't have the capacity to cope at peak times (halt term). taxi's and the shuttle buses are an option, but I suspect at half term the wait for these could be just as bad.

Then once you are up there are queues at the other lifts. I queued 30mins just for a drag lift. I really shouldn't have bothered but by the time I realised how long it was going to be I was so hemmed in in the scrum it was easier to keep going than attempt to move backwards Sad
latest report
@NickyJ, Sounds rubbish. I've been fortunate that each time I have been to Bansko it has been outside of the school holidays. Usually once on the mountain, there are very few queues.
latest report
Thanks for the replies.
I lose £900 (50%) if i cancel Sad
So i guess i just have to wait it out.
Its Pamprovo not Bankso but conditions look the same , going by the webcam it looks almost unskiable , if it doesnt get cold again then it will be closed next week

http://www.bulgariaski.com/pamporovo/webcams/index.shtml

Ive asked a few people who go each year and they say it should be ok , im looking at accuweather but no sign of the temps dropping
snow report
@hawkwind, this year has been exceptionally mild Sad

If they do close the resort will that allow you to get your money back?
ski holidays
@hawkwind, given you are committed to it now (or to losing a lot of money) if the weather doesn't improve for skiing, maybe take walking boots, swimwear (if your hotel has a pool), some good books or kindle and resign yourself to having a holiday, just not a ski holiday. Fingers crossed for you though
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
@hawkwind, this year has been exceptionally mild Sad

If they do close the resort will that allow you to get your money back?

I doubt it Sad
I imagine they might move us to Bansko if it closes but cant see it being much better.
I have until 2 weeks before and i lose 50%.
Dont want to cancel but cant imagine there is much to do without snow
latest report
@hawkwind, I've just had a look at those webcams, they don't look too bad, at least the pistes appear to be covered. They look a look better than some of the photos posted earlier in the season! (from all over europe) At least there is a base so any new snow will stick.

To try and cheer you up....we went to Bansko last year around mid March and we had a week of pretty constant snow. About 1.5 metres in total...so all is not lost. The forecast does appear to cool down again in a couple of days. good luck!
ski holidays
@joydivision,

Yeah my better half has told me off saying i do this every year obsessing over snow/weather conditions , maybe she is right , just seems very early in the season for puddles on the slopes and weather does look warm.

Cant afford to lose £900 so it will give me something to obsess over for the next month!
snow report
Can you not take a holiday credit and use it elsewhere?
latest report
No insurance? We had a no-snow via our TO many years ago, disastrous holiday, but took a month or two but some cash back eventually was nice. Sometimes a Visa card or plane ticket has insurance you don't realise.
latest report
I was in Bansko mid Jan this year for a week. Loved it. There was loads of snow just before we arrived and the slopes were fab. We were concerned beforehand tho as the snow has been scarce everywhere this year; apparently they blame El Nino.There were a lot of 'out of control' snowboarders tho and most people got wiped out by them at one point or another which made it feel unsafe at times. As others report, you need to be at the gondola for 8:30 if you're going for lessons as you need to get up the mountain to meet your instructor otherwise they will go. Ive seen the conditions since and its not good. Very mild temps compared to what they usually get and the resort seems to be suffering. Why not check out "bansko blog" on you tube with regular English video updates? Good luck
snow report
I know that Bankso claims around 70kms of slopes but I have read in a few places that a part of the resort has been closed for several years but the claimed Km has not changed and some people seem to think the area is around half that.

Can anyone shed some light on that?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@scoob101, I'd wait for a late deal during the run up of that weekend, call operators direct and see what they have, Esprit if they have anything would be good with the kids care, but you'll pay for that portion. Also try Sunweb, mainly self catering, price includes lift pass, combine with a cheap flight, maybe go on Monday come back earlier to reduce the price?
ski holidays
Thanks to everyone for the brilliant feedback. Were quite fancying staying at the Rila in Borovets assuming they can do something about the weather!

+16 degrees in the resort centre? That's obscene! Shocked ShockedShocked

Mrs is having issues getting time off so will probably be the week of the 21st March Now. A late deal is sounding like a good move.
snow report
We skied Borovets once as absolute beginners...

As well as the usual warning signs on the door of the Rila for things like "No ski boots" and "No dogs", there was also one banning guns...I kid you not. I have just found the photo on an old Facebook album to convince myself I was right...
ski holidays
I skied Borovets the last week in January. I had a really good time. Snow conditions were good. Resort is probably best for intermediates and beginners - a bit limited for real experts. Some of the red runs are very steep especially at the bottom of the mountains. Some really nice blue runs up at the summit. Lift queues were very short only once had to queue as long as five minutes for the gondola.

In the village prices were very reasonable - about £1.60 for a beer so didn't break the bank
snow report
That bankso blog is good , on the app they have a chat feature which has people who are there at present giving feedback on conditions.
Looking at webcams in Pamprovo this morning is grim Sad I really cant see how the snowpack can stay with these temps and rain over the next month.
Ive a mate away in a week so ill get a detailed report then.
@scoob101, sorry for hijacking thread!
ski holidays
scoob101 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the brilliant feedback. Were quite fancying staying at the Rila in Borovets assuming they can do something about the weather!

+16 degrees in the resort centre? That's obscene! Shocked ShockedShocked

Mrs is having issues getting time off so will probably be the week of the 21st March Now. A late deal is sounding like a good move.

you may get something with Balkan that late, most tour operators have finished by then, which is daft considering that march and april tend to be the best snow, also the lift pass price drops middle of march costa about £12 per day after that. Look at flights and if you need any help please feel free to pm me we have a catered chalet in Borovets that's free around the middle of the month.
ski holidays
We booked our transfers, girls skis, girls lessons, and lift passes through Bansko Blog. They all worked nicely and Lance was very helpful when we needed to make adjustments and do things slightly different to the norm.

If you do end up going that aspect I can highly recommend.
snow report
Unfortunately snow conditions not great anywhere in Bulgaria at the moment. It has been very mild this year and not much snow. Bansko does unfortunately suffer from bad queues at peak times (and often at not peak times), where as Borovets and Pamporovo are not limited to just one lift up from resort and so don't tend to get the same issues. Got friends ski-ing in Pamporovo at the moment and having a good time.

With regard to the notices about guns, this is just the norm in Bulgaria. Every bank door has the same, many shops have no gun signs.
snow report
I've been to Bansko twice. My main gripe is the lack of piste maintenance. The busy slopes are all mogul fields by the afternoon. No sign of a piste brasher anywhere. Go to the Alps if you want amazing slopes andexpensive apres ski (Andorra excepted) Go to Bansko if you are happy to compromise the slopes for cheap apres.ski and okay sliding
snow conditions
Things looking a bit better over that part of the world.
Temps to drop later this week so fingers crossed
snow conditions
Try not to have an accident requiring medical assistance!
snow report
Snowing in Bansko and Borovets, conditions much improved and more snow forecast.

Living in Bulgaria I have always found medical care excellent. Granted we always pay privately but as its peanuts, very high tech and most of the doctors speak good English, can't fault it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy