Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations: Women's touring skis

Poster: A snowHead
I'm on the lookout for a new pair of touring skis, well, I want to try a few this season at least. I am pretty clueless about the options, and would welcome some suggestions. I'm 165cm, 62kg. They will be for full day/hut to hut tours, and will be mounted with Dynafit pin bindings. I'm a competent but not aggressive skier. I also own and love a pair of Head Titans in 163cm, and Whitedot Preachers in 169cm. My current touring skis are 2007 Movement Black Rose in 165cm, which I bought secondhand. For some reason I've never really got on with them, hence considering an upgrade. So far on the list to try are Whitedot carbonlite ranger 98 in 168cm, and Dynastar Cham 87 in 166?cm.

Suggestions for specific skis to try, or general points to consider, would be very welcome. Thanks very much!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 17-02-16 16:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried other Movement skis? I tried their Vista at the octobertest and liked it a lot, but you may just not get on with that brand.

Also you don't like my piste skis so maybe you shouldn't take any advice from me wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gämsbock, Blizzard's Zero-G range is well talked about by some chums (who sell/rent them). There's a womens' in the 85 version though as it has the same side cut and weight as the bloke's I'm not sure what the difference is other than marketing.

I'm not sure what the difference in any womens' ski is other than marketing, TBH.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Maireadoconnor, I did try some Movement Tattoos a couple of years ago, and wasn't terribly keen on those either, so it might be a Movement thing, I'm prepared to give them another go though. I liked the Dynastar Cham 97 when we had them on Teles, and I think you did too... plus I think you like my piste skis? so I think there is some crossover between us! I'll keep an eye out for the Vista.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, thanks, I will add those to the list too. I really mean skis suitable for a woman rather than women's specific skis - my Titans/Preachers are mens/unisex so I don't subscribe to the need for women specific skis. There are quite a few threads on here asking for touring skis, but all are for guys who are correspondingly bigger/heavier than me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gämsbock, and the threads seem mostly to be for small tours, i.e. Allowing weight compromise.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Black Crows Freebird range offers some great choices. I'm a fair bit taller and heavier than you...but have just got camox Freebird - amazing, fun, skis and promise to well in a variety of conditions. My wife had ova Freebird on hire in January and enjoyed them. Some good deals on these skis from glisshop, bergzeit, and sport Conrad at present...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@Gämsbock, Blizzard's Zero-G range is well talked about by some chums (who sell/rent them). There's a womens' in the 85 version though as it has the same side cut and weight as the bloke's I'm not sure what the difference is other than marketing.

I'm not sure what the difference in any womens' ski is other than marketing, TBH.

@Gämsbock I'm taller and heavier than you, but looking for something similar (though looking to buy in end of season sales, current skis will get me through this season Smile ) and I've been looking really closely at the Zero-G range - very light but well put together, a proper long distance touring ski!

I really don't get on with Movement skis, and I've tried quite a few of them.

I've tried the new Cham 87's and 97's, and while I love the performance of them, for me they would fall into the short tour/weight compromise category. The Whitedot R.98 carbonlight is high on my list to try though - I really liked the performance of the non-carbonlite version.

Have you had a look at the Down lightweight touring range? I have their Countdown 107 which is a brilliant ski, so I've been looking at their touring range too (good feedback around this forum) but they don't do different lengths per model, so they might be a bit long for you.

Mens vs womens skis doesn't bother me either - most of the time there's no difference, and 2 of my current 3 pairs of skis are just 'skis', different gendered versions aren't available. Having skied both mens and womens versions of the Cham 2.0 97, I preferred the men's version Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I haven't skied them, but hard to beat the price to weight ratio of Down's YW8 line:

89mm 172cm: http://www.downskis.com/shop/yw8-89-2015
102mm 179cm: http://www.downskis.com/shop/yw8-102-179cm-2015
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Volkl Nanuq is a very good ski, light with very good performance.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@fixx, interesting what you say about movement skis. I will try and give another pair a go, just to see. Thanks for the Zero-G recommendation - it's always nice when the same thing is suggested twice. I'm not sure about the Down skis though, just because of the length. I feel like I'd be making life unnecessarily hard for myself on the kick-turns. Having said that, if I can find a pair, I'll try give them a go - I've just never noticed them about.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone - you've given me a fair few to try and find/think about. I will report back my findings/decision in due course Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gämsbock, I'm heavier than you (although the same height Embarassed ) I have only just started touring and have invested in Dynafit Baltoro women's version which I love. It also comes in a unisex option which you might prefer but certainly worth a try.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gämsbock wrote:
@fixx, interesting what you say about movement skis. I will try and give another pair a go, just to see. Thanks for the Zero-G recommendation - it's always nice when the same thing is suggested twice. I'm not sure about the Down skis though, just because of the length. I feel like I'd be making life unnecessarily hard for myself on the kick-turns. Having said that, if I can find a pair, I'll try give them a go - I've just never noticed them about.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone - you've given me a fair few to try and find/think about. I will report back my findings/decision in due course Happy

Re. Movement - some people just prefer different brands of skis, each brand does seem to have it's own 'feel' or characteristic to an extent. I don't get on with Faction skis, but do with Zag, I don't like Movement, but loooove Scotts. Never found a fair of Head skis I liked, but I'm 50/50 on Dynastar. I know people who are exactly the opposite to me though Smile

Yep, I did wonder about the length of the Down skis re. kick turns. I'm 1m72 - kick turns are so easy on my 166cm scotts, and doable on my 176cm La Fabrique skis, but nowhere near as comfortable. I've never even tried on my 186cm Down skis! Shocked
Down skis are also not easy to get hold of to test - you'd need to find an existing owner willing to let you try theirs out really. They don't go through shops, being such a small brand. If you are ever skiing in Verbier or Chamonix though, give the team an email and they may be able to sort something out.

Please do let us know what you think of the ones you try though, I'd be very keen to hear, it might help my decision later Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mrs A loves her Movement Feathers - very light (1kg apiece) and quite soft. She is definitely not an aggressive skier.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gämsbock, have a look at Hagan skis website, you might find something there.
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
Re. Movement - some people just prefer different brands of skis, each brand does seem to have it's own 'feel' or characteristic to an extent. I don't get on with Faction skis, but do with Zag, I don't like Movement, but loooove Scotts. Never found a fair of Head skis I liked, but I'm 50/50 on Dynastar. I know people who are exactly the opposite to me though Smile

This is so true...but I loathe Scotts and looove Head skis, 50/50 on Dynastar too
snow conditions
@Gämsbock, have a look at the dynastar mythic , paired with a tech binding they are awesome , and do it all , i'm 165cm tall and even though these are 171 long have had zero issues withe kick turns etc , the bonus with these over super light skis is the dh performance whilst still being super nimble , try and get a demo on them and youll love em over the cham 87 , especially in fresh snow
latest report
I'm looking for the same thing as @Gämsbock, and I'm also 165cm. I'm a tiny bit lighter at 58kg and can say with certainty this is due to inferior muscle. The touring I've done has been on very old and crappy ex rental kit (I know nothing about the kit, it's the shop owner who told me they were ancient and crappy and gave them to me for free). So I'm now wanting to do more (similar to Gamsbock) I need to invest and get some proper kit, but I'm wondering about the weight for someone who's not super strong or a super skilled skier (lower body strength ok due to lots of mountain hiking in summer, upper body strength pretty pathetic). I've noted what Dabber has said about dynastar mythic and the dh performance. I think my ski skills on difficult snow require the sturdiest ski I can get away with, whilst my puniness means the whole kit really can't weigh a lot. What do others recommend as max weight for skis, bindings, boots for longer tours in this scenario? I will be getting advice from locals here, but it would be great to get some snowHead feedback before I do so.
snow conditions
@miranda, i have just seen in snell sports in chamonix that dynastar have launched a mythic 87mm that weighs in a 1kg , and comes in 165 and 170 , could be just the ticket ??
snow report
@Dabber, thanks for that - will definitely investigate and I prefer a shorter ski so would go for 165.

Stupid question but as I have never owned a pair of skis of any kind and have always just skied with what I've been given, I confess to knowing very little... if you have a pair of 'all mountain' skis that you get on with that weigh 1.3kg, could you put a light touring binding on them? Is that too heavy for someone like me? Other than weight, are there other things to be thinking about for a touring ski? Minimum underfoot 80? 85? The reason I ask is I can get a discount on Head skis and they are what I've skied for last 3 seasons (different models and actually got on better in powder and then later heavier untracked snow on the piste Super Joy than the fat skis but then it was my first ever attempt with fat skis and they felt long and unwieldy whereas I feel love the very light and easy Super Joy piste skis but think I could find a compromise between the two). Could also get a discount on Salomon kit, but the Head kit is easier and can get bindings mounted for free.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy