Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves?

Poster: A snowHead
My NF Montana are falling apart between the thumb and forefinger where I hold my skis, I assume because of the edges rubbing on them and fraying the material.

Anyway - they were £50, and I don't really feel I got that much back from them as I got them 3 years ago and have probably done 7 weeks in them + occasional cold weather wear here in the UK, and to be honest, they were never that warm. And yes; I'm aware of the fact that most people who complain about cold hands aren't doing enough to keep their core warm and cold hands are just symptomatic of this...

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with spending a few quid, but would like a recommendation for a robust, warm pair of gloves. Is it worth going down the French lift route and just buying a pair of cheap fleece lined leather work gloves and replacing them each season, or do people have specific recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hestra's all day long performance and fit .if you fall in between sizes try ladies version
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hestra's all day long performance and fit .if you fall in between sizes try ladies version
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have hestras... Not impressed i must admit, thought it was just me but came accross an instructor last year with same gloves and same cold problem, had to wear liner gloves to keep warm ..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a nice pair of Salomon gloves with lovely leather palms. Can't comment on longevity though, had a set before that lasted a week and a bit before I lost them and the replacements have only done two weeks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Go down the work gloves route. But you won't need to change them every season. I'm on my fourth week of the Snowshepherd's new variant of the lifties' glove :
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/0snowshepblacksheepskigloves
and they're as good as new. Excellent value and better than famous brand gloves costing three times as much.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Stevo, thanks for the mention, can I add that our new liftie! gloves have a full waterproof but breathable inner glove from Hipora and also free Nikwax to keep the leather dry as well Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I stumbled across these recently and took the plunge. They replaced an 8 year old pair of burtons which had so many holes they were like a seive. They have the works: full goat leather (reinforced on the palms), goretex inner, pollyfill insulation, articulated everything, touchscreen, low profile etc. etc. I received them the other day and haven't tried them out in anger but they are extremely well put together, weighty, bomb-proof. They're a bit expensive but no more so than hestras, norrona roldal and similar specc'd gloves.

http://www.quiksilver.co.uk/tr-natural-gore-tex-gloves-3613370508211.html
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try to carry your skis holding the binding, will definitely prolong the life of any gloves you decide to buy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for the snowshepard gloves. I have the mustard colour ones and they are the best I have had. Might even invest in the black ones if they can be delivered by Friday?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I tend to suffer with sweaty hands. I found some great black diamond gloves at Ekosport. Breathable and with removable liners for washing. Never really had a problem with cold hands, just sweat (disgusting, I know).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@livetoski, I think the Snow Shepherds have the vote! Quick question (as I assume you are so something to do with SS) are these the gloves you mentioned as your "new liftie! gloves"?

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/sec565cd06786/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/0snowshepleatherskiglove

Also - do the tan versions have the clip to link the gloves together as it appears from the picture that the black ones do, but the tan edition don't....

Thanks in advance!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mushywill, yes if your quick today leaving for the post office shortly! i.e. next 10 minutes

@LukeRibs, yes they do have the little clips to fasten together my picture may not show them as the pictures were some sample pairs I had

Thanks for the other comments it was a big risk making our own version but has paid of this season and should be even better next year with more designs and a mitten version.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@livetoski, the price seems to vanish when I ask for it in euros?! how much for us continental types?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Pumba, yep no euro on that item just use GBP and then paypal will do the rest via a card or whatever
snow conditions
@livetoski, I'll put my order in tonight then! Will review on here when I get back from the final trip of the season in March. Thanks for all your help; the personal touch is greatly appreciated!
ski holidays
@livetoski, I do find them rather tempting but have 2 pairs of work gloves on the go...
snow report
@livetoski As brand ambassador, I look forward to my commission wink

Seriously - I'm holding a size S in black because they weren't S enough for Ms Stevo - you asked me to hold them for exchange as there should be an XS along shortly. Is it on the horizon yet?
snow report
@Stevo, yep should be in to us the next few weeks, as the story goes we did the size small on my wife's hands, she is 5 foot 1 and 7 stone but has freaky big hands as it turns out LOL
ski holidays
I bought a pair of Hestras whilst in Ischgl. Nice gloves. I went for a size 8 which seem a little tight getting on but the leather and elastic will give and once on they were very comfy and warm. Very impressed with them.
snow report
yorkshirelad wrote:
I have hestras... Not impressed i must admit, thought it was just me but came accross an instructor last year with same gloves and same cold problem, had to wear liner gloves to keep warm ..

Not at all impressed by the Hestra gloves I got. Cold fingers, tight fit, rubbish wrist gaiters. Going to ressurect my old Zieners.
ski holidays
yorkshirelad wrote:

Not at all impressed by the Hestra gloves I got. Cold fingers, tight fit, rubbish wrist gaiters. Going to ressurect my old Zieners.
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
... Not at all impressed by the Hestra gloves I got. Cold fingers, tight fit, rubbish wrist gaiters. Going to ressurect my old Zieners.

Too bling for me - all those fancy little bits just waiting to leak.

I'd change the way you carry your gear. Then get mitts as they're warmer, cheaper, and easier to waterproof, as you're asking.
ski holidays
Quote:

Cold fingers, tight fit

From dealing with lots of different glove brands and having our own made, Hestra are on the small side of the sizes they publish, and its always better not to have tight fit ski gloves, a little extra space captures more air inside so that the gloves will be warmer.
latest report
zieniers rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
vipul wrote:
zieniers rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Exactly! Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy