Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I want to ski faster

Poster: A snowHead
Get lessons .... skiing faster without the control is ....well, you dont want to start down that slippery slope !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I find an attack of IBS is a great way of quickly getting over the fear of going fast, especially when the nearest toilet is at the bottom of a fairly long blue run. Its the only time I've ever overtaken both of my fellow ski buddies

are you sure that wasn't a brown run Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gazzaredcruiser,

Nearly was wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If it a mental thing goto a slope with a long run out or uphill section, so that you become un-scared of going fast-

Abricotine in Avoriaz is good for this drill as it has 2 shuss sections followed by uphill, and 2 followed by flats.

As everybody has said, take a lesson or 2, but FWIW this is the drill we used when learning to ski fast.
If you get injured, or injure anyone else attempting this, please do not blame me.

It may have moved on a bit, but here is a drill I did with the ESF race group 25 years ago ( I was on Olin 203cm skis ).

First off, ski the slope normally, get a feel of how fast you go on the steepish bits and see how disagreeable the pole-ing is at the up-hills and flats.
Go back up, and once you have checked it is safe, get in a balanced tuck with legs about shoulder width apart, and arms a long way out in front. To get your arms right, put your thumbs together, and put your arms them straight out in front of your face, and then pull them back about 4 inches. ( If your arms ache it's the probably right position ). You can tell when it is right as it goes quieter in your helmet ( although at the time helmets were really crap and uncomfortable mine was a Boeri, which mad my face look fat ).
See how much less pole-ing you needed the second time.

Once you have found a run on which it is safe to go fast, and where you are comfortable, just start your tuck from a little higher. Very important to relax, and not to panic. If it starts to get away from you do not try and stop quickly, but scrub your speed off with some wide turns, and keep your weight forward ( your arms being out front help with this ). Ideally, you will just let your skis run, and not force them.

Remember this was a drill we did 25 years ago with an instructor, and people may take a dim view of you teaching yourself to go fast ( especially if there are other skiers around ), but hypothetically speaking, if you were try this in Pds, here are the markers I would use today :

So long as there are not too many people around, and the snow is not to icy, then you can start your first shuss from where track along the Mosettes ridge meets the bottom of the Cubore, get your breath back and shake your legs out on the rise ( about 500m away). Start your second schuss from this rise, but be attentive to people filtering in from the right (Mosettes red run) This will take you to the gap in the rocks. The third schuss you can start from 20m-30m above the big solitary tree on the left hand side, which will take you up the the next ridge. Rest on the ridge, and do the last schuss from the top of the ridge ( the rhs has fewer people on it, and is normally way less bumpy).
Remember that smiling and gritting your teeth look the same to onlookers.
Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Italian citizenship ? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hm you need to ski faster!?
http://youtube.com/v/i9kxPZpYT74
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brilliant idea @SkiingVideos, just cheat and speed up the video footage during the edit Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You think I made it look faster? Nah youre wrong wink wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just the first part of the video (the lift part) was cheated wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is this question not just about the effects of gravity and and impact of friction?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The problem is all inside your head she said to me
The answer is easy if you take it logically
I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free
There must be fifty ways to ski much faster

She said it's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude

You just slap on some wax, Max
Stay nice and low, Joe
Point your skis down the hill, Jill
Just get yourself free.
Get into a tuck, Buck
You don't need to discuss much
Get into the zone, Tone
And go with the flow

She said it grieves me so to see you feel so sick
I wish there was something I could do to make you ski real quick
I said I appreciate that and would you please explain
About the fifty ways

She said why don't we both just sleep on it tonight
And after reading snow-heads you'll begin to see the light
And then I read it and I realized she probably was right
Fifty ways to ski much faster

You just slap on some wax, Max
Stay nice and low, Joe
Point your skis down the hill, Jill
Just get yourself free.
Get into a tuck, Buck
You don't need to discuss much
Get into the zone, Tone
And go with the flow
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some flatulence during schussing will give you the extra oomph wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having read the thread I'm not sure "speed" should quite be your target, and probably isn't.

I think riding with better people is good advice - then you're likely to be more stretched, to be pulled forward.
More instruction may help too, as speed is something which comes with control, not the other way around. Learn how to edge properly and eventually you find you're passing everyone else without really intending to.

Otherwise, the single biggest boost my own riding took was when I started listening to music. The "safety" mavens should not do this, but deaf people and those of us who take care to observe what's around us are perfectly safe, and rhythm helps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well I'm impressed even if no one else is @WindOfChange, or is it mr Simon ?? 😉
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Giffordpikes wrote:
well I'm impressed even if no one else is @WindOfChange, or is it mr Simon ?? 😉

I was, excellent work @WindOfChange!
latest report
Thank you, but tbh I was inspired by "50 ways to Cleave your lover" following the John Wayne Bobbit incident.

On a more serious note, the speed gun at Chalet-Neuf was running again today, and here is an excellent place to just let your skis run. It is wide, un crowded, not too steep, and with a huge flat run-out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy