Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA Ski Carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Just a quickie - if I pay for ski carriage on BA it seems to allow you to take skis within an additonal weight limit of up to 23kg providing they are carried within a proper ski bag. So providing I remain within the 23kg limit, can I in theory put two pairs of skis in one double ski bag?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Griggs, Yes, I regularly fly BA with 3 pairs in one bag.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes - I always put two skis in my double bag. Never had a problem.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agreed, just returned with 2 pairs of skis in my sportube, no problem. One thing to be slightly cautious of, the way I read their website seemed to suggest that if you pack your boots separately from the skis as long as, combined, they are less than 23kg that would be fine as one allowance. This is not correct !!

The boots will be deemed as an additional bag and they will charge accordingly, fortunately I was able to take them as hand luggage.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perfect - thanks so much for the clarification on this !!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BA don't offer "ski carriage" as such, unlike some other airlines. You simply pay for an additional item of hold luggage, which gives you one further bag up to 23kg.

One tip, check how much it costs to upgrade one leg of your journey to business class. This can be very close to the cost of paying for a further item of luggage, and gives you two items of luggage (both at 23kg) on both legs of the journey.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 16-02-16 10:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Griggs, Another little tip. If you upgrade one of the legs to Club Class, you get skis included both ways without charge. Worth looking at as in the past I've only had to pay a couple of pounds extra above what ski carriage would cost.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@geepee, sorry, edited my post to add the info about the Club upgrade before I saw you had said the same thing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@maccaa, Silly question, but did you carry your boots in your hand luggage in a boot bag and did you have another bag with you in the cabin? I was planning on taking 2 bags for hand luggage, one bag with clothes and the other a ski boot bag with ski boots.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good tips re: club upgrade, I once found this to be the same price as an extra bag so it was a no brainer.

I've since upgraded my ski bag to a "coffin" specifically to fly on BA with one bag - the new ski bag was cheaper than the fees for taking skis in a separate bag. I miss the excuse to upgrade now, but it's a bit more sensible.

@ric_saints, cabin baggage for BA is two bags but one is only allowed to be a laptop bag or handbag. You should be able to fit enough gear in your ski bag to be able to fly with one boot bag I would have thought? Since I got the big ski bag I now stick boots in there and just take clothes as hand luggage (on the way back there's damp ski boots and snowy skis in the ski bag, so I don't want to put my nice ski clothes in there too).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ric_saints wrote:
@maccaa, Silly question, but did you carry your boots in your hand luggage in a boot bag and did you have another bag with you in the cabin? I was planning on taking 2 bags for hand luggage, one bag with clothes and the other a ski boot bag with ski boots.

@ric_saints I would be a little concerned to take two "good" sized bags on as hand luggage as sah points out the allowance is 2 bags but one is a laptop bag or hand bag. As it happens we did take 3 larger bags between 2 but by accident as opposed to design, I personally would not do it again.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's OK if they actually carry your luggage. We made it to Vancouver one bag still in Heathrow and one went to Moscow took 4 days for it all to turn up.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just beware should you take up BA's invite to have your skis collected and taken to the UK airport. Their Carrier works on entirely different weigts and sizes . Skis get charged extra if they are over 130 cm long !! Their permitted bag size in cm for 23 kg is about half that of BA. BA are the ones at fault. they don't alert you to this when you take the link from their site and you think....mistakenly....that they must both be singing from the same hymn sheet. They are not.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The good thing about BA is the 2 bags at 23 kg which you get for free on Club Europe, and the size permits one to be a ski bag. And you get food and a nicer seat and those lovely warm towels. Never quite sure what they are for.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
* And you only need 1 of your flights to be Club Europe to get the 2 bags for both out/return flights.
snow report
Quote:

And you get food and a nicer seat and those lovely warm towels. Never quite sure what they are for.

They're to marvel at how quickly they go from scorching hot to stone cold.

Oh and to wash your hands before said food...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy