Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Define “Smart/ Casual” in a Ski Hotel

Poster: A snowHead
Zero_G wrote:

Personally, I can't bear a bra indoors. But that doesn't go down well in an office environment.

...must...resist

Well this topic escalated!

Anything too smart and you look try-hard or twatty. Just attempt to avoid staggering to dinner in ski gear (I've failed this many times), and try to put something remotely respectable on at breakfast. No-one wants to see the outline of your bellend while they're munching their cornflakes (I've managed to not do this).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Anything too smart and you look try-hard or twatty. Just attempt to avoid staggering to dinner in ski gear (I've failed this many times), and try to put something remotely respectable on at breakfast. No-one wants to see the outline of your bellend while they're munching their cornflakes
Totally covers it!
Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hurtle, you are so awesome. I only wish I could enunciate like you, if I ever watched a chat between you and Masque I'd die (I hope you like each other).

Ps hope the cold got better, I caught it with knobs on. All better now.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What a bizarre topic for a ski forum. What to wear to work.
I spent twenty years in a suit and tie in an environment where nothing else was acceptable. A tie is a noose, upside down and will strangle your arteries in the same way.

I destest dress codes but I am mindful of offending others which is which I never come down to breakfat in thermal leggings.
Leggings are like children in that they don't lie.

I've never been a great one for fashion but have, over the years, come the realise there are afew basic rules for avoiding looking like a total spanner:

Avoid blazers with brass buckles
Avoid polo necks, particulalry under a suit jacket
Avoid chinos unless you're Americans
Suit jackets and jeans makes you look like a player
Avoid brown, hipster type shoes - they just look wrong on British men
Avoid tracksuits unless in a sports team
Never wear a T-shirt with a wolf on it
Brown beads on leather ties around the neck or wrist are sign of shallowness
Never, under any circumstances, wear a onesie.
If you're wife appears in a onesie, don't tell her she looks like George doors, if you ever want to sleep with her again
Wearing a T-shirt with a message written on it is attention seeking - I have a few
There is no cure for a perm except inventing a time machine
If you go for lumbersexual you must have a chainsaw in your garage.
Football shirts should be worn by footballers - and only footballers - whilst on a football pitch - playing the game

Basically, I've given myself the narrow corridor of jeans and a fleece top to express my individuality, not offend anybody and keep warm.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

Never wear a T-shirt with a wolf on it

Oh Cameron. The Wolf T-shirt makes you a hero. Entire Italian ski resorts will love you.

Quote:
Wearing a T-shirt with a message written on it is attention seeking - I have a few

Yes. Yes it is. I like all mine!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@cameronphillips2000,

Brilliant!! Can I add some more?

Wearing a tie with a short sleeved shirt makes you look like a photocopier repair man.
Never, ever , ever do your your top shirt button up unless you cover it with a tie. You will look like someone from an 80's boy band.
Don't wear a hat indoors. Either you look like a Hipster or someone trying to pretend they aren't really bald.
If you ever have to wear a top hat to a wedding then for God's sake make sure it fits. It is NOT meant to be supported by your ears.
Wellies are mean to be dirty. Immaculately clean wellies are just a message to the world that you are a Townie who has got lost in the country. While we are in the subject, you do NOT need a fluorescent orange/red/yellow cagoule to go for a walk in the country. Ben Nevis maybe, Wiltshire no.

I like this thread. I'm just waiting for the moment when I fall foul of someone else's rule!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thornyhill wrote:
Why would anyone wear a noose to go to work?

Because you are taken more seriously, at least in certain lines of work, at a certain level of seniority. Superficial and silly by all means but still true. I only dress up for client meetings though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cameronphillips2000, and @foxtrotzulu, great rules but you forgot jeggings. Can I propose the rule that Jeggings, like a onesie, are acceptable wear only for fancy dress competitions or probably never
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Giffordpikes, I wear jeggings all the time! Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love jeggings and treggings. Very comfortable. But with a very long top to cover expansive bottom of course.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
. While we are in the subject, you do NOT need a fluorescent orange/red/yellow cagoule to go for a walk in the country. Ben Nevis maybe, Wiltshire no.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Whilst I don't think I have ever been so gauche as to wear yellow in Wiltshire, I confess I worry about similar sartorial faux pas which are less apparent. Is a flash of cerise acceptable in Cheshire or beige in Bucks?
My life feels strangely incomplete without this knowledge.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Giffordpikes wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, and @foxtrotzulu, great rules but you forgot jeggings. Can I propose the rule that Jeggings, like a onesie, are acceptable wear only for fancy dress competitions or probably never
Proposal seconded Very Happy

Can I also suggest that muffin tops are not an acceptable fashion accessory?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@T Bar,
Quote:

Whilst I don't think I have ever been so gauche as to wear yellow in Wiltshire, I confess I worry about similar sartorial faux pas which are less apparent. Is a flash of cerise acceptable in Cheshire or beige in Bucks?

I think beige in Bucks would be entirely appropriate. A flash of cerise in Cheshire is almost compulsory.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
I love jeggings and treggings. Very comfortable. But with a very long top to cover expansive bottom of course.

+1
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

If you go for lumbersexual you must have a chainsaw in your garage.

I have 2 T-shirts with messages. One says "CSI...Can't Stand Idiots", the other says "Jesus loves you.....everyone else thinks you are an asshole"

I also have several chainsaws.....lumbersexual is still not acceptable
latest report
dogwatch wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:

Because you are taken more seriously, at least in certain lines of work, at a certain level of seniority. Superficial and silly by all means but still true. I only dress up for client meetings though.

Reputation is far far better than a sharp suit. Anyone can splash a few quid on clothes. That doesn't mean they have any idea what they are doing.
snow conditions
Yes, I agree. An expensive watch helps in some environments if you are dressed like a bum and not shaved for s week, give them a clue that you might be capable.
ski holidays
I'm trying to remember who it was I met on a pre-season bash a couple of years ago who wore a collared shirt & cuff-links to ski in. Think he was being serious too Toofy Grin
ski holidays
MrHL is not one for fancy ski gear. He wears a shirt and has been known to wear a cravat before discovering buffs. Embarassed
latest report
Thornyhill wrote:

A tie makes us fat blokes look thinner by the illusion of elongating the body. That is, unless it's tied too short and the tip "points" to the straining lower buttons of our shirt.
snow report
http://thebestfashionblog.com/mens-fashion/boglioli-spring-summer-2015-menswear
snow conditions
SlipnSlide wrote:
http://thebestfashionblog.com/mens-fashion/boglioli-spring-summer-2015-menswear

"The fabrics are qualitative and timeless: Irish linen, silk, wool, jacquard, piqué, and terrycloth

So it is basically a big nappy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
All of those people look like they've been outfitted from a charity shop by a blind assistant without the concept of socks. I particularly admired the chap in the bathrobe pretending it was casual-wear.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Mrs CP might be different from Mr CP only because women tend to focus more on these things than men.

Seems to be sadly true, even in 2016, when we hear things such as:

toms wrote:
very frumpy suits worn by those who appear to be trying to dress like men, in an effort to break the very obvious glass ceiling

... and yet...

I note it's Mr Foxtrotzulu and Mr CP who've come up with a list of clothing rules on this thread Confused

This article made me laugh:

http://www.newstatesman.com/media-mole/2014/07/new-boys-block-your-guide-kings-downing-street-catwalk

(See link below for the inspiration):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2693563/Now-win-election-PM-tells-new-girls-including-Esther-McVey-queen-Downing-Street-catwalk.html

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 20-02-16 23:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
rogg wrote:
without the concept of socks.

Highlighted by the grown-out-of-your-trousers look.

Or maybe the ankle is the new erogenous zone Puzzled
snow report
snoozeboy wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:

A tie makes us fat blokes look thinner by the illusion of elongating the body. That is, unless it's tied too short and the tip "points" to the straining lower buttons of our shirt.

Fat people can't be trusted to look after their own health. Why would anyone trust them to make correct business decisions....no matter how good the suit looks?
ski holidays
miranda wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Mrs CP might be different from Mr CP only because women tend to focus more on these things than men.

Seems to be sadly true, even in 2016, when we hear things such as:

toms wrote:
very frumpy suits worn by those who appear to be trying to dress like men, in an effort to break the very obvious glass ceiling

... and yet...

I note it's Mr Foxtrotzulu and Mr CP who've come up with a list of clothing rules on this thread Confused

This article made me laugh:

http://www.newstatesman.com/media-mole/2014/07/new-boys-block-your-guide-kings-downing-street-catwalk

Hang on a minute. There's a big difference between a list devised primarily to avoid looking like a spanner and a list devised to make you achieve goals in a work/business environment.

I've come up with a few more for the anti spanner llist too.

No sandals with socks
Expensive watches make you look like Delboy. Pointing out it's a real Rolex rather than a fake makes you look insecure
Mullets are probably not a good idea, even in 1987
Shellsuits - see onesie
Wearing a bow tie undone around your neck means you're trying to look like a model in a Next photoshoot
Cowboy boots make you look like a swinger
Wearinga scarf, when it's not cold, with the two ends through a loop makes you look like a sad, forty something man who's having a midlife crisis
Cravats - see above
Large round belt buckles - see Wolf T-shirts
Marblewash jeans - see Mullets
Anything Lacoste - see expensive watches
A jacket with the make of car you drive on the logo - the more expensive the car, the more of a spanner you look
A ski instructor's jacket worn in a nightclub
vests
Cords - unless you lectured for the Open University in 1977
Yellow trousers with tweed jackets - popular here in Norfolk amongst the 'Tim, nice but dim' brigade who are allowed out annually by their family to attend the Norfolk Show
Ironic Christmas jumpers
Jeans that were torn when you bought them
Ugg boots - see Onesie
Fur lined Crocs - I'm wearing mine now
Yellow Crocs - I bought a pair once as they were £3 in the sale, for which the reason became evident when I put them on and looked like Ronald McDonald

(See link below for the inspiration):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2693563/Now-win-election-PM-tells-new-girls-including-Esther-McVey-queen-Downing-Street-catwalk.html
snow report
Thornyhill wrote:
snoozeboy wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:

Fat people can't be trusted to look after their own health. Why would anyone trust them to make correct business decisions....no matter how good the suit looks?

Ooooh! That's a whole new thread. Yes, I fear that I would struggle to do business with anyone who was seriously obese. A bit tubby is fine but beyond that might be tricky.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thornyhill wrote:

Because whilst you're eating a salad in front of your computer or doing lunchtime at the gym, your fat bloke competitor is having a long, unhealthy business lunch with your client, building trust, making deals, building relationships.

This is why fat blokes rule the world. Very Happy
snow conditions
@foxtrotzulu, @snoozeboy, Now apply your own set of rules to a scruffy bloke. If he has a reputation for delivering results, does it really matter if he is fat or scruffy? If he has a reputation for screwing things up would it matter if he was skinny and immaculately dressed?
snow report
@Thornyhill, don't get on at me. I'm sticking up for the scruffy fat bloke who gets results.

Mores to the point, I'm making fun in a thread, where the answer to the op's question was, "they mean change out of your skiwear, but when you get there you'll find nobody cares, so do what you like, which is normal on holiday."
snow conditions
@genepi, I remember @JamesTheLast being quite dapper Happy
snow report
@snoozeboy, I'm only having a laugh. No offence intended to any noose wearers.wink
latest report
maggi wrote:
rogg wrote:
without the concept of socks.

Highlighted by the grown-out-of-your-trousers look.

Or maybe the ankle is the new erogenous zone Puzzled

...and aren't most of those shoes his sisters?
snow conditions
http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/10/29/board-meeting-has-no-idea-office-rebel-is-wearing-odd-socks/

Madeye-Smiley

This has nothing to do with dress codes but is about clothing and is funny.

http://www.onionstudios.com/videos/scientists-find-strong-link-between-male-virility-wearing-motley-crue-denim-jacket-3212
snow conditions
Gents, note the words of Ian Jack in yesterday's Guardian:

"I don’t mean to write like a social barometer – “Going Up or Going Down?” – but I have to report that after a gap of about 40 years I’ve started to wear a tie again. Like Philip Norman, writing in last week’s New Statesman, I have throughout this time “poured contempt on the illogicality of tie worship” – the idea that by its presence or absence a strip of fabric could confer respectability or its opposite. But, also like Norman, I’ve come to suspect that growing numbers of tieless men – politicians especially, but not exclusively – are trying too hard to be cool. Roughly, what I think is: if David Cameron has stopped wearing one, it’s time that I started. The tie is back."
snow report
The Peckam does allow for individuality. The whimsical for dress down Fridays (surely that does not mean not wear a tie at all), the comical for the office party, the Egg and Bacon for trips to the cricket , the sober for important meetings etc. I know a Maths teacher with an amazing collection of mathematical ties that rotate probably to some formula or other.
ski holidays

Hang on a minute. There's a big difference between a list devised primarily to avoid looking like a spanner and a list devised to make you achieve goals in a work/business environment.

I really wasn't having a pop - just found it amusing that foxtrotzulu made the assumption that Mrs CP would care more about what others were wearing than you would... which seemed a bit old-fashioned to me... and then found it amusing that you and Mr foxtrotzulu were the ones coming up with with extensive lists of rules of how to dress.

But then, I thought the idea of women wearing "frumpy" suits to "dress like men" in an effort to break the "obvious glass ceiling" was old-fashioned too... sadly it seems I was wrong!
snow report
I'd draw the line at a mankini. Toofy Grin

On a serious note I usually find ski accommodation too hot inside and tend to wear a t-shirt and shorts. Personally I'd just ignore their dress code, it's a holiday ffs.
latest report
@miranda, Are you suggesting my comment, that women tend to focus more on what they and others are wearing for a social occasion than men, is not a fair generalisation? I'm obviously not suggesting it applies to everyone, but overall I would have thought it was fair enough. For a start, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that women spend significantly more on clothing than men.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy