Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl / Pira tipps anyone (atmosphere, nature, drive to, nice BB?)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
My girlfriend and I are thinking about a four day trip to go skiing in the beg of March.
Due to a little time press it would be nice to enter mountains by rental car from Milano, Venize, Geneva or Münich
(economy flights (not Ryanair) cost almost the same from Norway)
How many hours to drive to Pila from Milano / Geneva ?
How many hours to drive to Ischgl from Münic?
Anyone care to share a little experience on nice BB , car hire and such?
We are +/- 50

Regards,
Jan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some recommendations

Car Hire: Holiday Autos - if you search, you'll find there's another thread on this site with more details. I used them from Geneva 4 weeks ago. They were fine, and cheaper than Hertz, Avis, etc..

Ischgl: Goldener Adler is a fantastic old hotel with character, right in the centre. However, you may find that no one wants to let you book for less than a week, particularly in relatively high season, unless you are making the booking at short notice. As an alternative, you can stay in Samnaun (which I did when I couldn't get a 4 day booking for Ischgl). Samnaun links in to the Ischgl ski area. It's a little duty free enclave that is part of Switzerland. The Hotel Post in Samnaun is very good - old, with character, good food.

Drive time from Munich a bit over 3 hours. As an alternative, Zurich is about the same distance. I've done it from both, and there isn't much to choose between them. If you hire a car from Switzerland, it will come ready equipped with snow tyres and chains, from Germany these are optional extras that you have to specify at the time of booking.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks wery much Julian T, Helped a lot - will try one of these hotels.

Jan
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
we're going 4th - &th March .. had a hell of a job getting accomodation andhad to go for one of the expensive hotels in the end (Solaria i think)

Ischgl is a top place for atmosphere if you like it lively.

I reckon the drive is a bit easier from Munich as you can do it all motorway whereas from Zurich you've got to do the Arlberg pass which is high and not good in bad weather or pay (lots) to use the tunnel underneath.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Diverian, I strongly advise you not to choose the Goldener Adler. I don't know when Julian T stayed there but from what she has said of the hotel, she is describing it when it was run by the husband and wife, a charming couple whose charm, warmth and heidi character spilled over to the hotel. But they have some time ago passed it on to the running of their daughter and son in law. As a result, it has been virtually gutted of all warmth and character. Oldie woldie sofas have been replaced with wooden benches and tables in the cramped lounge room. Because the young owners are heavy smokers, they have no sympathy or awareness of the needs of the non smoker. As a result, you will go down to breakfast in a room crowded with germans puffing away. The only place you will get respite from the smoke is your bedroom and not to mention more smoke seeping from the heavily used pub below the hotel. At mealtimes they tend to give a la carte clients priority, so it is likely you will wait some time for your food. As Julian stated, it is an old hotel. But now it is a tatty old hotel, they have made no attempt to refurbish it.
I suggest you concentrate your searches to the new part of the Ischgl village - and I recommend the Ischglerhof Hotel, a modern 4 star hotel where me and my friends stay every year. Good luck and enjoy the fantastic ski arena of Ischgl!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Julian T wrote:

Drive time from Munich a bit over 3 hours. As an alternative, Zurich is about the same distance. I've done it from both, and there isn't much to choose between them. If you hire a car from Switzerland, it will come ready equipped with snow tyres and chains, from Germany these are optional extras that you have to specify at the time of booking.

Have just booked a car from Sixt (via Argus rentals) to pick up at Zurich. Snow tyres were an optional extra. Is this the rental company just trying to con few extra quid out of punters or is it genuine, i.e. you only get snow tyres if you pay extra for them ? Is there some legal requirement in Switzerland for snow tyres to be standard during winter months or something ? I wouldn't want to risk driving over to Arlberg without winter tyres.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy