Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner skier jacket query - advice much appreciated

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm going my first skiing holiday in April to Tignes and really need some help with deciding which jacket is best.
I've seen a lot of people recommending soft shells but a lot of them don't seem to be that waterproof and I anticipate falling a lot to begin with. I definitely am someone that feels the cold so have been looking at insulated ski jackets but I don't know if that would be too warm for April?
I'll be sticking to mainly blue slopes, red at a push if that makes any difference. I've only ever skied on man made snow slopes so really am clueless as to what to expect but still want to have the right gear to get the most out my first trip. Thanks for any advice!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here are two I've been looking at if anyone has any opinions on them
http://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/roxy-flicker/13581462/p

http://www.roxy-uk.co.uk/snowstorm-snowboard-jacket-with-biotherm-ERJTJ03025.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads, @cbenne20, snowHead

I always ski in an insulated jacket, even in April, as like you I feel the cold. If it's warm, just wear a short sleeved base layer underneath. Tignes is high altitude (an ideal choice for April) so could still be chilly.

You don't need to spend a lot. Armpit zips are really useful if it's warm, but can push up the price.

If you have a local T K Maxx, they might have some good bargains, and Aldi and Lidl are also worth a look, though they might have sold out by now.

Or you might be able to borrow one from a friend?

Will you be having lessons? If you've already done some skiing in a "fridge" and have good instruction, you might not fall over very much at all!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why thank you!

Good to hear your the same as me and feel the cold so think going with insulated one sounds like a good option.

I did an 8 hour fast track ski lesson recently so I can ski but I'm not very good. Still just trying to get lots of practice in. I currently have a very old/ slightly falling apart north face with a detachable fleece and for the majority of my time on the 'fridge' slopes its fine, a bit warm after a few hours. My problem is I don't know if the slopes in Tignes will be a lot colder or if anything Sunny and there fore warmer in April. Difficult to know what to expect.

Don't have anyone I can borrow from that fits unfortunately but happy to invest in my own Very Happy Blush

Thanks for your feedback!!!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've never had the slightest problem with a softshell letting in water, even falling in deep powder it just isn't an issue. I always used to wear a goretex shell jacket, the only time I would wear that now is in major storms or heavy rain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@cbenne20, I suspect your North Face jacket will be fine, especially if you have a detachable fleece, in case it's really warm. But I do seriously suggest you take some lessons (with the money saved from not buyig a jacket). A "learn to ski in a day" lesson should mean you can miss the very beginner stage in-resort, but doesn't really prepare you for being let loose on a big mountain when you don't know your way around.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It could be 15-20 degrees in April, or it might be cooler, but it's not January. When you're a beginner there's a lot of standing around/falling over and getting up again, but once you get the hang of it you'll be moving around a lot more and that will keep you warm.

Personally, I think you'll be better off with a good set of layers – a decent wicking base layer (I use merino wool, even in April, but some find that too warm. It is very breathable.) Then a mid layer fleece you can remove, and a shell jacket. This gives you a lot more versitility than an insulated jacket, mine only comes out below -10 or so, it's far too warm for spring.

Hard shell or softshell is up to you. Yes, hard shells are usually more waterproof, but soft shells are more breathable so you won't drown in your own sweat. I recently tested my soft shell in heavy snow for the first time. It started to wet out after about 5 hours, which I consider acceptable for piste skiing as it's still more comfortable than my crinkly hard shell. My mid layer stayed dry.

It can get a bit windy high up in Tignes though, so something to keep the wind out like a buff is useful.

And +1 for extra lessons – a snow dome doesn't really prepare you for the awesomely overwhelming scale of a mountain!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cbenne20, +1 for ski lessons. I also think good base layers+ old North Face jacket likely to work well.
Difficult to predict weather, especially above 2000m as in Tignes. Most likely in April is chilly first thing, comfortable by midday, warm after 2.30pm. But it can vary enormously. I've experienced April temperatures between -10c and +20c in early April. In full sun it gets warm in afternoons...quality factor 50 suncream recommended.
Sometimes get jacket deals too good to miss by late March onwards. SnowHeads often flag them up on this site.

Anyway, you're starting with the best place in Europe for April skiing IMO. Enjoy!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Check out Decathlon/TKMaxx for fleece mid layers.

Don't wear any cotton.

Your old NF should keep the wind out and hopefully you won't need or want to ski in the rain. Maybe try re-proofing it - Nikwax or Grangers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cbenne20 wrote:
Here are two I've been looking at if anyone has any opinions on them
http://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/roxy-flicker/13581462/p

http://www.roxy-uk.co.uk/snowstorm-snowboard-jacket-with-biotherm-ERJTJ03025.html

If you're intent on getting a new insulated jacket and not relying on your old NF (even if given a new lease of life by Nikwax etc), the above jackets will be fine. My only comment is that they don't have ventilation/pit zips - which you'll probably need in April. Here are a couple that are in a similar price bracket that do have ventilation zips:

Salomon Icetown (Winter 15, £147) http://www.ekosport.co.uk/salomon-icetown-w-white-15-p-1-26173.html [My wife has an older version of this jacket and it has held her in great stead in all types of conditions]

Patagonia Insulated Powder Bowl (reasonable at £207) https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Patagonia_Ins_Powder_Bowl_Gore-tex_Womens_Ski_Jacket_M_Blue-(109201).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cbenne20, those are quite expensive jackets. T K Maxx often have Roxy jackets (and other perfectly OK ones) for nearer £75. If your budget is a bit tight I wouldn't buy a new jacket, given that you already have a serviceable NF one, unless it's a garment you'll wear here for the rest of the winter.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cbenne20, Welcome to SnowHeads.

Point 1. Get lessons in Tignes. If you only take one piece of advice from this forum I hope it is that one.
Point 2. Do not spend a lot of money on your first trip. Pam is right. Those jackets are a lot of pennies. On our first ski trip my wife wore her thick waterproof Regatta coat and it more than served the purpose. We have both since upgraded our gear. Thermals (base layers), fleeces (mid layers) etc. can all be purchased inexpensively.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Check out the Nevika stuff on sports direct, it issupprisingly good but never believe that it was for sale at it original price
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it's Nevika it's a cheap rip off of Nevica
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got the Nevica Vail jacket from Sports Direct for £50 last year - great jacket for the price. Also got a helmet from them for £20
snow conditions
It really does depend if you feel the cold or get hot and sweaty (or both), and also very much on what the weather is. Don't spend huge amoutns of money when starting out; you'll accumulate more than enough clobber soon enough!
Most things sold as ski or mountaineering or outdoor walking stuff will do; but if anything's utterly snow or waterproof it won't be breathable, and you will get sweaty underneath.

I've just been boarding in wet deep snow (though not terribly cold) in a pair of walking overtrousers (rated at 5,000mm hydrostatic) that cost under £10 and I usually ski in a 15+ year old kid's cotton-look jacket that I bought in Aviemore (and it's fantastically warm still and resists all but the heaviest snowfall with the occasioanl wash-in waterproofing). I also ski/board in a softwheel walking/climbing jacket (Dare 2 Be, I think, but rated at 15,000), a cheap works old softshell fleece, a thin Decathlon shell, a TK Maxx military-style long jacket (pretty warm) and a medium-weight old-style long mountaineering jacket. bascially, they all work, depending on differing conditions and temps.
Mr G bought one thinner ski jacket for £20 from Matalan several years ago and one thicker type this year for about £30 from Mountain Warehouse, and both do him fine in all kinds of temps and conditions.

+1 again for layers, layers, layers. Cheap wicking-type t-shirt (or cut the sleeves off a cheap thermal top - Decathlon £3.99 or Primark fleece), a cheapy fleece or thermal synthetic fibre mid layer, (even another if it's cold), a fleece or similar (furry fluffy type is best, I think, to stop the moisture adn to hold the heat if you need it) with a full-legth zip and a reasonably-lightweight jacket or shell to keep off the snow if it's coming down. Neck zips on everything if you can, for further temperature control.

Don't forget a neck 'buff' or two (or scarf) for the face and neck, a thin hat or bandanna/'buff' to cover the ears and top of head/forehead. The best heat regulation is the neck and head for me. It's often the face & neck that'll feel the cold and the differences between bottom and top of lift, etc. That and a zip or 2 to do up and undo and you've got control over how hot or cold you are.

Personally, in April, you're more likely to be wondering if you can ski in a t-shirt alone wink And don't forget the sun screen!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy