Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets & hand luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Lets get an answer on this very important matter.... I have just sent the following tweet.

@easyJet I do not want to put a ski helmet in my case due to airport handling. Can I just wear it? Its my favourite hat.

I have a feeling my next tweet will say something along the lines of .... why the hell not?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Their reply-

Hi Mike, I'm not sure if the airport's staff will allow it. ^Barbara

My response to that-

Airport staff or EasyJet staff?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 17-02-16 12:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Their reply-

Hi Mike, I meant the Ground Crew and the security staff. ^Barbara

My response to that-

Is there not a policy for EasyJet ground crew? Are they not EJ employees? I can, of course remove the hat for security.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 17-02-16 12:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Their reply-

Hi Mike, I'd suggest to contact the airport directly to double check it. ^Barbara
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glad I was able to provide absolutely no clarification on this matter. We revert back to 'so far no problems in the past but you run the risk of getting caught out'.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
we used to have them attached to our bags and just walk through the airport with them. Now we just put them in the suitcase surrounded by clothes as it's less hassle, also I lost an ear protector once going through an airport, so not going to risk that again I had a very cold head on one side whilst skiing Wink

If bottles of wine can survive, so can helmets which need a lot more force to break them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike-H wrote:
Glad I was able to provide absolutely no clarification on this matter. We revert back to 'so far no problems in the past but you run the risk of getting caught out'.

Yep. All it takes is some jobsworth hiding behind the 'sporting equipment' rules that usually hide somewhere in the Ts & Cs.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Mike-H wrote:

Yep. All it takes is some jobsworth hiding behind the 'sporting equipment' rules that usually hide somewhere in the Ts & Cs.

Incredibly unlikely. That would come down to someone at security, and the staff there work for the airport not the airline, so aren't fussed by the T&C's.

Ok, I guess it's possible someone might kick up a fuss at check-in, but I've never heard of that happening. And if you're worried about that, just get your mate to hold the helmet out of site when you check in, and clip it back on before security.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, my worry isn't so much with helmets (I'm happy to argue all day about that in the unlikely event of being told I can't take it) but for the occasions when I take a boot as hand luggage, as I can see why security might have an issue with it. Of course if I ever get pulled up on it then I'll ask why you can't have a ski boot on a plane but you can buy several glass bottles filled with alcohol and take them on board.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@SnoodyMcFlude, I don't really see why security would have an issue with ski boots (though again that's probably airline rules not the airport's?)? I guess you could put them on and kick the pilot in the shins, but as you say you can take on bottles of duty free whisky, which (if you were so inclined) would presumably be a much better weapon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@billb, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, the weight and that they've got metal on them, could probably be swung at someone with a fair force if you were aggressively minded.

I once had the blade from a Victorinox Swiss Army card taken away from me by airport security...the blade measures a full 36mm. If that's considered dangerous enough then the bloke would probably have a heart attack at 2-3kg of ski boot.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@clarky999,

On the ski boot issus, I wrote to Gatwick Security and Easy Jet a couple of months ago and it went like this....

Dear Gatwick Security,

There seems to be some confusion as to whether ski boots can be taken through security and onto airplanes as 'carry on' luggage. From what I can gather most Airlines do not restrict ski boots as hand luggage providing they fall within specific weight and size regulations.

It appears that some Airport Security Officers, mainly in Europe, sometimes do and sometimes do not allow passengers to proceed to departures with ski boots in their carry on luggage insisting that they are loaded, at considerable cost and inconvenience, as hold luggage.

As you will be aware ski boots do not have any sharp or protruding points or edges and most will fit within the maximum size and weight for boarding as a hand luggage item. They can hardly be regarded as offensive weapons (although some my differ regarding foot odor!).

Please can you clarify whether Gatwick Airport Security allow the carrying of ski boots though security?

Many thanks

Good Evening,

Please be advised that it is up to the Airline whether you can take Ski Boots as hand luggage due to the weight restrictions. These are permitted through Security if you clear this with your airline.

Many Thanks,

Gatwick Team.

I then wrote to EJ and got this reply...

Thank you for your email.
You can carry ski boots in the cabin bag provided it doesn't exceed the dimension of 56x45x25 cm.
I wish you a nice day.
Yours sincerely

Tarun
easyJet Customer Services

I have now done 2 trips with EJ (Krakow and Salzberg) with no issues. Very Happy Very Happy [/i]
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crystal Ski say:
Helmets are not permitted in your hand luggage if you are flying in to/out of Chambery or Grenoble airport.

Aerlingus say you can't take a helmet as cabin baggage.

I think all airlines have different policies and how they actually enforce those policies vary too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Crystal Ski say:
Helmets are not permitted in your hand luggage if you are flying in to/out of Chambery or Grenoble airport.

Flew into Chambery for Christmas with a helmet in my hand luggage...and out for that matter.

It's such a bizarre thing to not let you carry on board. The only reason I can think of disallowing it is as a catchall to avoid people having them clipped to the bag and then braining someone with it by accident.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy