Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs( Persey) or Tignes or La Plagne for large group with kids for Christmas week?

Poster: A snowHead
Peisey the bottom part isnt desperately convenient. Check if you are in the part where you need to use the bucket lift. If so, the chalets are nice and are probably cheaper but they are not super convenient for nipping back at lunch time, early finishes etc. Vallandry would be convenient. Tignes can be bleak, its higher and I'm not sure I would recommend as a resort for kids on their first as its a more demanding ski area. Of those resorts with children, I would be tempted with one of the La Plagne villages, or another les arcs village other than peisey.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks @Layne, so will insider ADH then.. Oh decisions , decisions... The ADH option would be in a good location, according to TO ( zenith holidays ) , it is just a short walk to the lifts, but would mean splitting our group over two chalets... Will see
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've stayed in Peisey several times with small kids because as has rightly been said, it's location at the bottom of the lobster pots makes it cheaper. Looking at where Chazalet is, you would need to make sure that they are offering a minibus to take you to and from the lobster pots, because whilst it is a perfectly feasible walk uphill for an adult, it won't be for small kids with skis etc. I have stayed in the chalets marked 15 and 16 (and also 19, but that's lower in the village) so I know exactly what the walk is like!
Personally, whilst I really rate Les Arcs (stayed in Peisey at least 4 times), I don't think top of the hill in Peisey would be very convenient for you. If you can find something in Plan Peisey or Vallandry it would be much better. If you do go for Peisey you have to accept that you are out and up the hill for the day, and if anyone wants an early finish, whoever takes them back is also done for the day.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski Olympic's Hotel Graciosa in La Plagne will suit your group. Ski in/out
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it helps I've stayed in adh with zenith. I think they are an good budget operator no complaints about chalet/ transfers/ food etc and when we stayed there in paulette the resort manager was super helpful driving our friend with a 4 year old up to the kids club every morning with mum. Are they suggesting the altiport chalets that are ski in out but away from town or paulette/ hermione that are s short walk to the lobster pot lift and while more convenient than peisey are not ski in ski out. The location of paulette is ok but not amazing and it's a short walk to the lobster pots or an old lift that didn't work when we were there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SnowMonkey69,
Quote:

Ski Olympic's Hotel Graciosa in La Plagne will suit your group. Ski in/out

I've stayed at Graciosa and agree location is very good, a short easy ski down to La Plagne centre and walkable too, though often icy pavements. Easy access to a range of skiing suitable for your group. High altitude skiing nearby if snow lower down is poor.
I think Ski Olympic offers good value too. However I thought the hotel was 'tired' to be kind to it. Small, rather cramped rooms, certainly in need of refurbishment.
Depends on your expectations and level of comfort wanted.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and remember that "ski in/ski out" might mean that good skiers can ski in and out (occasionally it means that only real off piste tricksters can ski in and out, especially in poor conditions) but beginners, especially little ones, might be some distance from anywhere that they can manage, even after a few days of lessons.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@karin, thank you for the tips... I think in Peisey our only options are really Chazalet or Ricermoz which is number 27 on the map btw...they said that they would give us a lift but our kids are kind of used to walking after Chamonix! Also apparently we could leave skis / boots in a hire shop near plan peisey?
@dan100, thanks yes, they are offering paulette / hermione even combination
@pam w, I see what you mean...for kids it will always be some travel required unless we find a place just next to a nursery slope which is unlikely.
@SnowMonkey69, @intermediate, will check out the hotel although ideally would want it to be just for our group hence prefer a chalet...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w,
Quote:

"ski in/ski out" might mean that good skiers can ski in and out (occasionally it means that only real off piste tricksters can ski in and out

Definitely true in many cases...TO hype! In this example, Graciosa is on a comfortable blue piste, near the bottom of it and a very short easy slide down to where ski schools meet. Involves a little bit of poling, as quite flat. I skied it 6 days with a 3 month old sprog in front pouch, with caution, having looked right, left and right again. Neither of us had a helmet, tut tut. It was safer than attempting to walk down treacherously icy steep path alongside icy dangerous road.... even Mrs Intermediate approved it as safest approach, after thorough risk assessment.

@Bella2015, ...however, capacity of Graciosa is over 40, so exclusive use not possible I guess. It's run on chalet style.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BTW, I guess you've looked at the Alpine Answers website, with good flexible search facilities and (relatively) honest and detailed descriptions of the many chalets and chalethotels they feature?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@intermediate, thanks - no actually I had not come across this site before and have just a looked and found only one of our current options on there and it is marked 3 starts so guess should be ok
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dan100, thanks yes, they are offering paulette / hermione even combination

It's a decent shout and better in my view than peisey in terms of convenience. From memory 5 mins walk to lobster pots or down to a lift (which never worked). If the resort rep helps out with lifts with children then I think it's s good shout. You can get back st lunch and get out again though a little bit of a pfaff. Zenith are better than crystal and though not luxury do budget well. Paulette is a nice apartment I think it was a little light on bathrooms but if a family group it's fine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dan100, thanks.. When did you stay there? Was it recently?
We are thinking now either to go with this option in ADH or to risk Tignes as seems like we can no longer do Peisey as one of our families just confirmed that they can't make the dates it is offered ( due to Christmas falling on weekend some companies do Tuesday to Tuesday weeks during that period).. Also we have a third option in La Plagne 1800 with skibug (anyone know this company?)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bella2015, for what it's worth, purely in terms of snow, I'd suggest Tignes, La Plagne, ADH in that order. Obviously many other factors but none more important than snow IMO. Rubbish snow = disappointed skiers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You may consider Val Cenis as a left field choice, has good costs, better altitude than is obvious from a cursory glance (1600 \ 2800 mtr) walk out access to very good beginner's slopes for kids with a nice comfy 6pax chair for the main nursery area rather than often used drags.

I've been to VT the week before Christmas and it has the obvious attractions of altitude and it was mega-cold so maintained whatever snow they had, we had good weather but speaking to locals there they said it's not a best choice in poor conditions as there's not much option to get out of it. Links where closed for "safety" when we were there. As you can often get that time of year it was very icy across many of the gentle areas with quite a lot of high speed users crossing less experienced skiers, politely I'd say difficult conditions to the inexperienced. We did have a good time there but had no kids then and would think differently to take a bunch of them there as you are looking to.

Your other areas of interest. Les Arcs, I think is really good and I'd return to arc 1800 at any time it really does offer a good mix of altitude, trees for poor weather days and great piste. I've not stayed at piesey but judging by the amount of skiers coming up into the 1800 area it appears that's maybe more difficult for you to get all the kids up onto the slopes easily.
latest report
I think it was 3 years ago that we stayed with zenith.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy