Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where best for beginner snowboarder (12yrs) Next week! Pls ..?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, female (52) never been to a ski resort, with a son (12yrs) desperate to see some snow at half term and try out snow boarding. Any recommendations please? Morzine, Avoriaz?

It's all a bit last minute but there are flights to Geneva available, so somewhere not too far from there would be ideal Smile

Travelling alone with my son & not a skier myself I'd like somewhere where I can watch him learn (if that's possible) A resort not full of large groups of youngsters partying til late but still plenty of things for me / us to do a I won't be skiiing ( & can't.. fractured both my arms a few weeks ago & still recovering) and being a complete newbie I guess his time on the snow will be limited by his exhaustion.

Any ideas gratefully received as this is a complete blank canvas moment!

Thank you !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if you want to watch him learn avoriaz would good as you can walk to the piste. you can walk to the lower learner areas in Chamonix (and le tour) as well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

fractured both my arms a few weeks ago & still recovering)

Sad How awful - so sorry to hear that. Your options for half term, now, are going to be very, very, restricted.

As you are not accustomed to ski holidays, it would probably be easiest for you to try to get a package with one of the tour operators. It's a bit old fashioned, these days, but a visit to a good local travel agent might be a good idea - they do still have a part to play!

I do hope you find something. snowHead But, frankly, you are not likely to be able to pick and choose.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Eddie that sounds great re Avoriaz... !

Thank you Pam I've tried a couple of operators but they're geared up to 7 days, I'm looking for 3 nights (break us newbies in gently ..lol ) so at this late stage flight only and a hotel / chalet direct might be my only option.. (?)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Latlum, ah yes, 3 days is more difficult. Doubt you'll find anything in France but you might have better luck with an Austrian hotel. But not flying into Geneva, obviously.

If you re-title your thread "3 day break in Austria next week with beginner snowboarder" you'll get excellent advice from the folks who know Austria well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
have you had a look on air bnb?

if you fly to Geneva and get an easybus transfer to Chamonix it'll work out cheap (ish) Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Will you also need to get a "fit to fly" clearance for your broken arms? Some airlines mandate it if you have visible breakages (such as a sling or your arm in a pot etc).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowboard lesson availability might be your constraining factor.

Geneva and a transfer to cham + airbnb is likely to be cheapest for a few days, but do call some ski schools about snowboard lesson availability before you book.

TBH it might be better for you to book him into the 'learn to snowboard' classes in your nearest snow dome, and save the ski trip for eastern or next year. The 2 x 1/2 day with some practice in the middle (and after!) have been the best for my friends. The full day is too much, and the shorter lessons too drawn out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you Eddie will look on air bnb now ... have looked on booking.com and hotels.com but not much luck.

& Kingofthec - good point, I'll check but should be ok as slings off 4 days ago, just weak arms but should be a lot stronger by next week (assuming I do my exercises!). wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Kat, he is booked into our dry ski for a couple of lessons over this week to get him a little started. I know what you mean re postponing, but it's a good time to go for us as his sister is in South Africa on a school trip rolling eyes and I keep saying 'next year' but something always gets in the way.. I want to bite the bullet this time and go somewhere even for just a few day see what he makes of it Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Want to bite the bullet this time and go somewhere even for just a few day see what he makes of it

Great, well with a positive attitude like that I'm sure you can get some time on the slopes for him, and have a nice little break away. Just treat it like a bit of an adventure rather than a full on 'ski trip'.

Since it is just the two of you - don't rule out getting a last min tour operator deal for the full sat-sat week (won't be a cheap deal tho). There are always some cancelations so things do pop up even for peak weeks if you are super flexible. Again, snowboard lessons would be the constraining factor but you might have more luck getting him a couple of private lessons that a block of group lessons.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh, also - maybe worth phoning some TOs about on-traditional destinations. Might have more availability for flights accom and lessons.

Slovenia, Poland etc

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/feb/14/affordable-skiing-snowboarding-slovenia-alps
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If your idea for a last minute trip doesn't work out, or it seems too expensive, how about planning for a trip in the Easter school hols. Easter is early this year. There will be far more choice and the slopes will be much less busy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And your son will really "take off" on his snowboard in a week, rather than 3 days.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd say the quality of instruction is likely to be the most important factor and you won't do better than these - http://www.mintsnowboarding.com/kids-snowboard-lessons
snow conditions
Full marks for going for it!

If you don't find something for half term then don't give up. Easter is a great time to learn - generally less cold, longer days so more chance to sit in the sun with a drink after a day on the slopes. In the meanwhile, your son will have time to fit in a few sessions in a snow dome, and sort out any kit he might need. And your own recovery will have progressed - I really felt for you when I read that bit about fracturing both arms, but wanting to sort a trip out for the boy!
latest report
Thank you all so far !! I'm getting the Easter is better option wink but my eldest (daughter 17yrs) will be confined to barracks studying for her A2s, hell bent on a place at Loughborough and tough grades to get.. I wouldn't have it in me to leave her behind studying in an empty house whilst I sat with my shades enjoying the piste sunshine .. Cool Soft mother! Embarassed
latest report
Following Eddie & Kat's lead atm looking favourable.. Still accm in Chamonix available & looking a bit more 'trendier' / modern than Morzine (?) like this one very nice Wink ? ..L'Héliopic Sweet & Spa Smile Might be able to afford it (good deal on hotels.com) if we take your suggestion of easybus Eddie cheaper than private transfer, thank you ! But yes must check out snowboard lesson availability first ! otherwise I'll be sharing my spa couch with a bored 12yr old .. nah !
snow report
Meantime.. anyone know a suitable snowboard instructor for 1:1 in Chamonix?? Puzzled
snow report
@Latlum, ski schools are going to be almost completely booked up already for next week. It's a case of finding something, not picking and choosing amongst instructors. This might sound harsh, but this really is very, very, late for what is one of the busiest weeks of the year.

It might be easier to find a group lesson, and probably good fun. Private lessons tend to be only for very limited times in the peak weeks (typically lunchtime) and availability very limited. There were a number of desperate posts on SHs some weeks ago, from people who had left it too late to book ski schools.

I still think you'd be more likely to find something in Austria. French resorts are going to be absolutely rammed.
ski holidays
This might sound harsh, but this really is very, very, late for what is one of the busiest weeks of the year...There were a number of desperate posts on SHs some weeks ago, from people who had left it too late to book ski schools... French resorts are going to be absolutely rammed.[/quote]
Quote:
latest report
Ohhhh I'm feeling some negative vibes here .. ! Pam W you (to my delight) did not put me off trying!..

Yes I may be 'very, very late' but sometimes planning ahead doesn't always work out, and in my mind .. if you have a chance to make an adventure happen then you know .. you only live once & you need to make it happen against the odds.

You don't get a lot of those chances with your kids so .. hey THANK YOU Eddiethebus !!! for suggesting Chamonix I am indebted to you and thank you snowheads forum... & those that encouraged me to keep burning the midnight oil looking for that needle in the haystack (or snowstack) .. Myself & youngest son are off to Chamonix on Monday ..!!! So EXCITED !!!

Got a great last minute deal at Heliopic http://heliopic-hotel-spa.com/en/rooms.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAuea1BRCbn-2n7PbLgEMSJAABQvTTaU4Z0pKuqO1AZJbW0aWrexo4ANFdzEAtubfzqCYljBoCTQfw_wcB

Flights & ski school private lessons booked.

So all systems go.. except (fractured arm recovery ..) he'll need to carry the cases Lol !
snow conditions
@Latlum, well done! Don't forget to let us know how it goes. snowHead
latest report
@Latlum,
I'm in awe of you - and I'm sure you will have a brilliant time. I know my own 12yr old son would be very excited to have that to look forward to in half term! [Roll on the Easter holidays when we make our family trip... Very Happy ]

+1 to Pam's request for a report on how you get on.
ski holidays
Yes yourself and the boy booked onto one of these!
https://www.alpineelements.co.uk/ski-holidays/ski-deals/last-minute-deals.html
latest report
Hi there, guys! Very useful thread here for me as well. I've been a skihead for a long time, and I want to learn some snowboarding now. I've found some cool tips on http://riders.co/en/snowboard/ website, and I want to try it out soon. Everything looks pretty simple, but we'll see. Thanks a lot for the suggestions here, I will take them into account
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy