Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First timer school ski trip kit list

Poster: A snowHead
My 11 yr old son, first-time skier, is going on school ski trip at Easter. I don't ski myself, so any info on what kit, and how many of everything, is needed would be greatly appreciated. He will have six days skiing. Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads, @judyblackbourn. snowHead Will the school not issue a kit list?

Where's he going? Makes a difference, as Easter is generally not too cold but obviously that depends a bit on geography.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aprica 25th March.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Of the stuff you might not consider:

Suncream
Lip salve/vaseline (might be a struggle to convince an 11 year old to put it on, but he'll almost certainly get chapped lips)
Ski socks (proper socks from a ski shop, not just long socks).
Blister plasters (boots shouldn't hurt/rub and if a boot is rubbing then he should get it changed...but 11 year olds are less likely to do that)
Other than that is mostly the obvious stuff e.g a ski jacket, gloves and ski trousers. Aldi or Lidl are a good bet for these as will keep the price down (they sell them occasionally, usually some delightful Snowhead reminds everyone when they're due to have them in stock). It's easy the write a much longer list, but as it could only be a one of trip you don't want a pile of ski gear that cost a fortune and won't get used. The other option is to see if you can borrow any of the gear.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much @SnoodyMcFlude. You're right I don't want to spend a complete fortune. Aldi & Lidl sound good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ahhhh, school ski holidays, snow, girls and beer for the first time. Memories which will last forever. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
God now I'm really worried! And there was me thinking he was going there to learn how to ski.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
judyblackbourn wrote:
God now I'm really worried! And there was me thinking he was going there to learn how to ski.

Yeah, he probably has the other two nailed down already. Very Happy

Joking aside, my school ski trips were a long time ago. I suspect that they've clamped down on the drinking these days. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sunglasses (check 100% UV protection) - UVEX are good check (https://www.littleskiers.co.uk/childrens-ski-goggles/c68)
Salopettes (e.g. http://www.vikingkids.co.uk/Skogstad/AW14-Panther-snow-trousers.htm)
Hard shell jacket - if it is warm he should be able to ski in this and a baselayer. If its cold add the microfleece for warmth. (e.g. http://www.vikingkids.co.uk/Skogstad/SS14-Milan-coat.htm)
Micro fleece (e.g. http://www.vikingkids.co.uk/didriksons/AW13-Monte-junior.htm)
thermal baselayers (avoid cotten as it will get wet with sweat and then get really cold)
Gloves/mittens

Re: the above I've bought lots of Didriksons kit from vikingkids for my kids and it is excellent quality. Some of the jackets and sallopettes come with a stitch in the arms and legs which you can unpick to increase the size of the item.

Woollen ski socks (smartwool etc.)
Helmet (although can be hired)
toothbrush...

Whilst he might not like skiing he will absolutely hate it if he is wet and cold. Also, most of the stuff above (other than the helmet, googles and salopettes) can be used for things other than skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you @chivdog. Will definitely look at Viking kids. I know cotton is a no no - so should he wear his normal boxers under his base layer or go commando?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Aldi and Lidl sales ran before Christmas but my local Aldi still has quite a bit of stuff in and mostly discounted so you may be in luck there. Stock up on the sunscreen lip balm while you are there. The merino thermals (he may not need bottoms at easter unless he particularly feels the cold) are great and as they are for a nearly teenage boy won't be too stinky if he wears the same set all week! No point spending more as even if he loves skiing by next time he will have grown out of them.
I'd suggest several thin layers than a heavy insulated coat, easier to control temperature. For easter my kids tend to take thermal tshirts, 2 or 3 thin fleeces, soft shell or thin down belay style jacket and a weatherproof shell. they then wear abything between just the tshirt and all of that depending on the weather. A couple of Easters ago and over 3000m up in the Alps me and the kids have ended up stuffing our softshells in a backpack and skiing in tshirts after lunch. As has been said Easter, though early this year, can mean really warm weather skiing, sunburn can happen very quickly and he really needs it drumming into him to use suncream.
Another to try is Decathlon if you have one nearby or don't mind web shopping. The other thing is once half term is out of the way the outdoor shops like Mountain Warehouse will be switching over to hiking and biking kit so the ski wear will be discounted, stuff like Trespass and Dare 2 Be is fine.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you @davkt.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I noticed in Aldi over the weekend they still had some young boys ski gear still in stock. Might be hit and miss now depending on where you live given they've been in store for a while.... other than that, get over to your local Sports Direct... they have the "Campri" brand gear which is cheap and will be fine for his first trip. They stock the base layers under this brand as well. p.s. commando all the way when it comes to base layers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

should he wear his normal boxers under his base layer or go commando?

Wear the boxers, I'd say, specially if he's going to wear the same base layers all week (which should be fine).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you @Spike107. Have looked at Sports Direct - have Nevica stuff greatly discounted. Is it any good? I've already ordered Nevica 100 litre roller duffel.
snow report
judyblackbourn wrote:
Thank you @Spike107. Have looked at Sports Direct - have Nevica stuff greatly discounted. Is it any good? I've already ordered Nevica 100 litre roller duffel.

Nothing wrong with their gear either... slightly better than the Campri brand IMO. If he "catches the bug" and wants to pursue skiing/snowboarding long term, i'm sure he'll be pestering you for all the top brands further down the line Very Happy For his first time you cant go wrong with sports direct... I should know, it's where I went when I started out. wink

You could try TKMAXX which usually stock last years brands at very good prices... but you can't always get what your after sometimes...
ski holidays
Spike107 wrote:
p.s. commando all the way when it comes to base layers.

+1
Earlier this year in Chamonix I made the mistake of wearing my cotton boxers under my merino base layer - I'd had a heavy night the night before, woke up in a bit of a haze and had to quickly get dressed. Anyway, after a hard day skiing my boxers were the only item of clothing which was wet .. and cold. Not pleasant.

Try Howies for good merino boxer shorts.
snow report
Quote:

You could try TKMAXX which usually stock last years brands at very good prices... but you can't always get what your after sometimes...

Have tried TK Maxx - nothing left Sad
snow report
Quote:

He has got Reebok sports boxers for under football kit - synthetic so maybe they would be ok?
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd had a heavy night the night before

I'm hoping he's not going to get wasted in the evenings!
latest report
judyblackbourn wrote:
Quote:

He has got Reebok sports boxers for under football kit - synthetic so maybe they would be ok?
Yes, they should be fine. I've worn my underarmour t-shirts (which are made of similar stuff) skiing and they've been fine.
snow report
@judyblackbourn, Never worried about what boxers to wear and this might be over complicating things. Tell him to take whatever is normally comfortable.

Ski ties for his skies can be useful. One to stop them moving around when carrying them. Secondly it stops some idiot picking out the wrong skis from the rack if he has a tie on them. My daft mate skied a whole morning in someone else's skis. His boots were the same size. She was not happy when he returned to the chalet in the afternoon.

Suncream and lip balm if not stating the obvious.
ski holidays
@Mike-H,
Quote:

Never worried about what boxers to wear and this might be over complicating things

Us Mums do tend to worry about such things! From someone who doesn't know a buff from a baselayer, all the info has been really helpful!
latest report
Nevica gear is not what it used to be but is still more than good enough for a first trip and then for indoor slope use and spare/backup.
It is not heavily discounted though the discount price is the closer reflection of it's true value. I have bought a few Karrimor items from sports direct and again like Nevica not a patch on the high quality brand it used to be but not bad value.
Hope I have not put you off buying the gear it is worth buying just don't think the RRP is the true reflection of it's value.

Have you considered Ebay ? Kids grow quick and you can buy some hardly worn quality brands for about the same price as the cheap stuff and occasionally only a few quid.

Also post in the Snowheads buy sell thread who knows what reply's you will get.

Check out Decathlon as well.

Forgot to mention check out your local Dare2b store as well.
latest report
Easter is early(ish) this year, as such it might make sense to get him a pair of snowboots for days where there is a whiteout/snow in the village etc. Sports Direct have quite a few for around £10 - 20.
ski holidays
I wouldn't bother with snowboots if he has some decent walking boots.
snow report
davkt wrote:
Yes, I agree. I posted the above on the assumption that he doesn't have any decent walking/hiking boots.
snow report
davkt wrote:

I wouldn't bother with walking boots if he has shoes NehNeh I don't usually bother with boots, I've found that most resorts do a decent enough job of clearing snow for you to get away with normal footwear...although I could just have been lucky.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@judyblackbourn, I have a packing checklist I did for my son's last school ski trip. If you want to PM me, with an email address, I could send it to you.
We also may have a few grown out of items, if size suits, going very cheap. It would be Wednesday before I get chance to look, if you were interested.
snow report
Some school ski-trip firms will rent you jackets and salopettes. The ones I've seen seem adequate (in that the kids don't appear to be cold or wet even on v cold days with heavy snowfall), but I have no idea how much this costs.
latest report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:

I wouldn't bother with walking boots if he has shoes NehNeh I don't usually bother with boots, I've found that most resorts do a decent enough job of clearing snow for you to get away with normal footwear...although I could just have been lucky.

I imagine if the kids aren't skiing they'll be doing something else in the snow - well, that's what my kids would do at least. I once spent an hour outside in driving snow building a snowman and towing my insistent and stubborn 2 year-old around on a sled through 2 feet of fresh snow. She didn't seem to feel the cold at all...
snow report
judyblackbourn wrote:
Thank you @chivdog. Will definitely look at Viking kids. I know cotton is a no no - so should he wear his normal boxers under his base layer or go commando?

Honestly, while cotton is a no-no in extreme conditions if you're genuinely going into 'the wilderness,' for a first ski trip where you're safely on the pistes and always within about 5 minutes of a hut selling hot chocolate, cotton t-shirts and boxers a perfectly fine. Really not an issue at all. Yes merino and synthetic are better, but certainly not essential, especially for first trips.

Get cheap but functional jacket and salopettes (e.g. http://www.millets.co.uk/skiing/ski-jackets/#skiing/ski-jackets/si:m,s/), a reasonable pair of goggles - don't scrimp too much here as being able to see is helpful (e.g. http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/oakley-02xs-shady-trees-orange-greylight-grey-1516-goggles/762521), decent pair of gloves as cold hands suck (you won't beat these for price, from Snowhead Snowshepherd http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/Kinco101hk/SubProducts/Kinco101hk-0002). Get two pairs of the cheapest 'proper' ski socks you can find (e.g. http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/thorlos-thin-cushion-ski-sl-socks/270403). It's not a big jump to merino socks, which may be worthwhile just to keep the smell factor down, but not essential. Don't worry about precision fit blah blah - he'll have rental boots so that's not going to happen anyway.

I assume he already has a fleece? Wear that over the t-shirt and under the jacket if it's cold. Don't need anything fancy. Take two (he can wear the shirt he wore in the hotel in the evening for the next ski day, so what, 6-8 t-shirts?) He shouldn't need anything on his legs really under the salopettes (other than normal underwear), but can always take jogging bottoms just in case.

His normal trainers/skate shoes/etc will be perfectly fine in resort. If he jumps into a big pile of snow yes he'll get wet socks... Not the end of the world.

-----

Of course if money's not an issue, you can splash out and get nice merino base layers, goretex jackets, etc, but it's really NOT essential for a teenager snowploughing around blue slopes. Nice to have and they do work better, but he's not going to know the difference, and he's not going to be anywhere where survival depends on good kit. If he gets a bit sweaty it'll be no worse than he's used to while playing football/rugby etc.
ski holidays
@chivdog, ah, I haven't been afflicted with kids so tend not to consider those aspects too much Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I imagine if the kids aren't skiing they'll be doing something else in the snow - well, that's what my kids would do at least. I once spent an hour outside in driving snow building a snowman and towing my insistent and stubborn 2 year-old around on a sled through 2 feet of fresh snow. She didn't seem to feel the cold at all...

He absolutely will!
Quote:

Easter is early(ish) this year, as such it might make sense to get him a pair of snowboots for days where there is a whiteout/snow in the village etc. Sports Direct have quite a few for around £10 - 20.

Sorted at Sports Direct £20
latest report
Thank you @clarky999, Lots of good advice there. Really don't want to spend a fortune on goretex etc. At the rate he grows, will be outgrown in a year or two. Just want to make sure he has a good time and isn't cold and/or wet and/or smelly! We live 15 mins from MK Snowdome, so should get some extra use out of stuff beyond his week away - if he enjoys it that is!
ski holidays
Check out Mountain Warehouse too as another cheap shop -http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ski/ for base layers, fleeces and outer layers. Their sizing can be a bit hit and miss though - my 6 year old and 4 year old both have age 5/6 jackets!
snow conditions
Absolutely no need for Gortex, another £20 or £30 should sort him with a jacket and trousers in Aldi or Decathlon (both will be better kit than SportsDirect and no more expensive). As to snowdome skiing once he has the basics sorted he will be putting enough effort into to be fine just wearing ski trousers and a jumper/sweatshirt.
ski holidays
@judyblackbourn, if you're going to take @always29's advice re Mountain Warehouse, then Google for vouchers/codes. This month they have 20% off if you spend £50 or more.
latest report
@clarky999, great advice. Despite all the fancy gore tex gear I have now, I was fine in my C&A \ Rodeo gear and M&S thermals for years!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy