Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Martin Bell pushes helmets: "On-piste is arguably more dangerous than off-piste"

Poster: A snowHead
Elizabeth B, When I started a discussion about a chocolate bar with a hazlenut in every bite ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Paul Mason, A quality confectionary indeed.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did a nice face plant last week and bashed my forehead quite hard onto some solid piste....... i like my helmet very much.
My ability to ski on the otherhand rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

You'll be loving it a bit less if you take out one of my kids from behind. So yes, you're right. A slower skier does present a greater threat to those that think like you. But not for the reasons you have in mind.

Cant you read? 15 years no accidents. Lovin the e-violence threats, good job ill have my helmet on on-piste to protect from piste thugs and baton brandishing maniacs
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kruked, A lot of fathers will be thinking like me if they see some reckless idiot take out a kid of theirs from behind. I've seen it happen to my youngest, and the cocky idiot got a piece of my mind. But to be frank I would have liked to have put him in plaster for the rest of his holiday.

So you've been lucky. But with an attitude like that, your luck won't last for ever.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kruked, PG is right, you need to leave a bigger margin.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be honest I agree with your preservation of kids and if it happened to me or my party there would be more than words.

The point im trying to put across is the fact that i have seen the blood wagon attending to more nasty injuries on winding trails down from the mountain than on any gnarly stuff. The trail at Soll being the worst example of this. My perspective is to get out of there as soon as practical and remove myself from the danger zone, im not talking about full on schuss which seems to have being decided i am doing. Every situation needs assessing on its dangers and appropriate action taking, blanket rules of assuming that the person behind will avoid you will not suffice, this is not wreckless attitude, this is fact
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kruked, There is always a first time. I am sure you would feel as bad as anyone if you did. Kids are a very emotive subject and I am in the PG, camp on this one.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tim Brown wrote:
kruked, PG is right, you need to leave a bigger margin.

Love the way you can see me ski from a few words
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've worn a helmet for 2 seasons now. Following a fall towards the end of a run when I was skiing slowly. I skidded on ice, fell face forward and my skis slammed into the back of my head. It isn't until you frighten yourself that you realise how vulnerable you are in just a bobble hat.

Have just returned last weekend from Les Arcs. A guy in our group took a bad front fall at the top of the red run, Lac, and cut his forehead. Also last week, I was hit hard from behind by a snowboarder down by 1950. He sent me flying forward and I hit the side of my head on the piste, not hard, but the helmet cushioned any blow. What I am left with is an 8" bruise down the back of my leg where his board hit me. Grrrrrrrr. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beverley wrote:
I've worn a helmet for 2 seasons now. Following a fall towards the end of a run when I was skiing slowly. I skidded on ice, fell face forward and my skis slammed into the back of my head. It isn't until you frighten yourself that you realise how vulnerable you are in just a bobble hat.

Have just returned last weekend from Les Arcs. A guy in our group took a bad front fall at the top of the red run, Lac, and cut his forehead. Also last week, I was hit hard from behind by a snowboarder down by 1950. He sent me flying forward and I hit the side of my head on the piste, not hard, but the helmet cushioned any blow. What I am left with is an 8" bruise down the back of my leg where his board hit me. Grrrrrrrr. Crying or Very sad

To me this is as bigger factor as falling yourself. Been hit has nothing to do with how good you are, if your not looking the right way at the right time BANG.

Hope the leg gets better soon.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My wife insisted I got a helmet this year

I have just come back from a 3 day trip with 8 of us, and out of the 8,
2 of us had helmets (one a skier and me a boarder). Despite
a few digs from the other 6 at the start of the trip, I would be
suprised if at least 2 didn't buy a helmet next time round

I am glad I had mine on, having had a headfirst crash into an ice bank
on my last run.

Like many things, rightly or wrongly, people tend to follow the majority,
most people wouldn't dream going without a lid on a motorbike in the
uk even if it wasn't illegal. But send them on holiday to thailand
and they might not bother, simply because everyone else isn't.
The actual risk is the same (higher probably) but the perceived risk is lower
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dented my helmet today - glad it wasn't my head! Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Speed and crowded slopes aren't necessarily the issue.

I have knocked myself out cold for several minutes in Les Arcs on a very gentle blue run, not even travelling at walking pace - just starting to slide off with no-one for miles around - apparently I just caught an edge and slowly toppled backwards in a comedy fashion - but my head landed on the back of my skis!!!

I also work in a hospital with a big head injury unit - and it's not uncommon to see people who've been referred for follow up following ski injuries abroad....

Guess whether I've bought a helmet....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Having espoused pole clicking from a safety and courtesy point of view, and been generally castigated for it, I experimented with not doing it in Kitzbuhel the week before last. This extensive comparitive test shows conclusively that it doesn't make any difference to safety whether you click or not. I passed the people whom I passed in exactly the same way with exactly the same total lack of incident as when I click, and had exactly the same reaction from them; none at all. Whether or not those I passed felt affronted that I hadn't clicked to tell them of my presence or pleased that I hadn't been such an arrogant sod as to imagine that they cared, I can't say, as I decided against handing out questionaires.
snow report
dunno if this is on or off topic, but....

The (French) instructor in our (12 person!) (ESF) group at Alpe D'huez half term, told the whole group that if he was leading, and intended to slow down he would click his poles, and the person behind should do the same to 'pass it back along the line'. He then made us all practice doing it.

Until then I had always thought it was the skiing equivalent of ringing a bell on a bicycle (reminds me of the knock knock, isobel joke). I've never done it, because I've never overtaken anyone close enough to feel the need to 'warn them' but maybe I'm just slow Very Happy

So was our instructor right? is clicking the poles really a sign for 'I'm slowing down' to those who are following or a (intended to be polite) message of 'I'm coming up behind you' when passing? For what it worth I agree with those who are saying 'you shoudn't shout or click, you should just pass safely leaving enough room for unexpected turns by the person you are passing, if you can't do that, don't pass'.

(I've never had to 'protect' our kids with outstretched poles, as keeping up with them was challenge enough!) snowHead
latest report
Confession time:

On my recent trip to La Plagne I did something that I not done in years since I was a beginner I hit another skier, me hangs head in shame as I consider myself to be an aware skier and don’t put people in danger.

I was enjoying myself down an icy run when it went a bit steep with a few beginners/ strugglers on the hard packed slope.
An old French guy was in front of me who turned as I did not expect into my path. I took all my speed off but just clipped his skis with a minor side slide into him at a slow speed.
If the slope was not so icy I’m sure he would have kept on his feet or I would have stopped quicker, but the conditions were are they were and he lost his edge and went over. I of course stopped to help him up and to apologise in my very broken French (this is when I learnt he was French and from the tone was using some very choice words).

The point been that clicking or not would have not changed anything. I should have read the conditions better and realised that I was entering a beginners area where the conditions would make them more nervous and do unexpected things and then took appropriate action myself (slowing down and giving other skiers more room) .

It was a good wake up call as no one was hurt except my pride. I learn from my mistakes.
snow conditions
Nick_C, these things are bound to happen to us all sooner or later. My thing about clicking was specifically on roads, not on the piste in general, to tell someone in front of you who you intend to overtake of your presence (not to tell them to get out of the way or anything like that).

I thought about the clicking thing a bit in Kitzbuhel the other week (while conducting my scientifically valid test, see above), and I think it must be just me. I don't like someone unexpectedly entering my peripheral vision (or anything else) from behind closer than about 3m, max 2m, to either side of me. For that reason, I like to hear a click before being overtaken on a road. My daughter has speeded up a lot recently and at one point on our first day was matching me down a steep but straightforward black, and I found catching a glimpse of her when I turned very unnerving (after that, she and her brother gave up waiting for the old lady and me at all). I think my paranoia may come from an exaggerated fear of crashing into someone; I'm a heavy chap, and it has always worried me what would happen if I hit someone, particularly someone small, at speed.
ski holidays
Whose right of way is it if two skiers or snowboarders are matching each other turn for turn down a slope?
ski holidays
Kramer, the heaviest one Shocked
ski holidays
That'll be me then.
snow conditions
Kramer - I'd guess that unless they both started at exactly the same time, one would have come "from behind" and thus the one who was origionally in front has right of way.

regards,

greg
snow report
Kramer, If you're on the heelside of the boarder he has right of way because he is unable to see you.
snow conditions
Masque, I was just going to get around to that, as an ex-boarder it makes a lot of sense to me.

gregh, sometimes I've overtaken someone on the piste, giving them loads of space, as I've got equal with them, they've suddenly increased their speed, sometimes to the detriment of their control, to match my speed and turns, which doesn't seem safe. It would seem to me that if you're being overtaken by someone then you should give way to let them past as safely as possible.
snow report
Kramer, Sounds like the classic motorway psychology 'They shall not pass' Very Happy How many times do you come up behind someone doing 72, only to have them speed up to 80+ as you go by? These days I'm in something that's got the vroom to get by anyway, but in previous cars I've been 'embarrased' by this once or twice.

An while I'm derailing, Toofy Grin what's this thing with truck drivers, where just as I'm about to get past a queue of them, the back one pulls out and takes the next half hour to overtake the one in front, travelling 1mph faster than he is Puzzled Why do they bother or is it just some truckers' 'lets f**k with the car drivers' thing?

Ok Derailment (and rant) over Very Happy
snow report
AxsMan, The poor trucker's limited mechanically to 56mph, hence his low speed overtaking Shocked
The other should give way imho
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
Kramer, If you're on the heelside of the boarder he has right of way because he is unable to see you.

at junctions etc if im on the right hand side n want to go over to the left ill stick my arm out to indicate im going over that way.. ive saved a couple of near misses doing that
latest report
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
Masque wrote:

at junctions etc if im on the right hand side n want to go over to the left ill stick my arm out to indicate im going over that way.. ive saved a couple of near misses doing that

I think this is a good point, there is too much assuming on the slopes.
Why not let others know when your moving across the piste?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, Understood, but is it really worth overtaking someone who's doing 55 when you can only do 56? All seems a bit unnecessary to me Puzzled

(sorry - continued derailment Very Happy )
snow conditions
Nick_C, these lots of little things you can do when u just getting from A to B .. a thumbs up at crossroads when someone makes an obvious gap for you to slot through..
all the little things add up to everyone having a bit of a better time..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy