Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Resort in Le Grand Massif

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, looking at getting back on the slopes after a couple years off & thinking about somewhere in Le Grand Massif.
Not looking for anywhere fancy, just some good slopes to ski/board, all a reasonable standard so not after lessons, and somewhere for a few beers in the evening. There's normally only 4 of us and it's only for a short break of 4 nights.
Any suggestions most welcome, ta.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I liked les carroz. My friend worked for go massif transfers and she lived there. It wasn't great late season we had to drive to flaine as links weren't open but if you go before April it should be ok. Nice size town with few good bars and eateries. But as I say if you want to go later in season you will need to go higher. I can recommend go massif too. Daily transfers and good prices too. They service the whole area.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with @speachmaus, about Les carroz, it's a nice village with easy access and enough stuff to do.

I'd like to add Morillion 1100 to stay right on the snow as all the accommodation is really right next to the lift and for a short stay is ideal. Just one lift and straight out the top to get to Les carroz if you want quick access to that area. Quite a small village with a couple of bars and fairly low key but very convenient and sometimes some of the best costs to stay in GM area.

Two or three decent cafe / restaurants in the village and well regarded l'igloo restaurant at the top of Morillion sector. Also small Sherpa supermarket that's fine for supplies if you self cater without feeling ripped off.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For a Lads/Lasses weekender I'd say Flaine; good volume of cheap apartments, almost all ski in/out (if you're reasonable skiers) relatively good bars, relatively good restaurants.

Les Carroz has better restaurants & bars but harder to get on the Piste in the morning as the resort is quite speread out.

Morillon (1100 not VIllage) would be almost as good an option as Flaine but not as many apartments available so probably more expensive and fewer restaurants and bars.

Samoens best Village/town of them all but hardest to get skiing.

(I've lived in LC & Morillon)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les C has the best village feel of the resorts which have skiable slopes in and out. Rented a place there for a couple of seasons and really liked it. For a short break-take a look at the Milk Hotel which is ski in ski out, just at the top of the village. Friendly, good food, comfy rooms with a nice lounge bar area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@marcellus, easy to find weekend apartments? I'd have thought that the tricky bit?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone, we were leaning towards Flaine, accommodation looks limited for a long weekend.
We are also now looking at Paridiski as another option.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just to hijack this recent thread....
I'm off to Morillon 1100 in a couple of weeks for a sneaky weekend (2 full days, 2 half-days). Typical ski-miles on these weekends is 100miles (ie: 30 per full-day). Given where we are going to be based, should we get the "Massif" or "Grand Massif" pass? Are we likely to go to Flaine that much?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jamescollings, if it's sunny I'd have thought you'd be in Flaine a lot.

Not so much if the weather's poor.

Also, depends on what lower snow does between now and then...it's been a funny season below 1,500m
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jamescollings - This season it has been raining below 1400m quite a few times so best quality snow has been above 1800m in Flaine, although have still had many good snow days in Carroz and Morillon areas over the last 6 weeks (Xmas, NY and early Jan was v poor across Massif Area). So would recommend GM pass.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I"m now getting nervous about the number of times that the Flaine link gets closed. I don't want to buy a GM pass and then never actually get over there, even worse would be to get there and be unable to get back. Since we'll be in Morillion and have a car, would it be more sensible/practical to just drive around to Flaine and ski 'local' and the drive back to Morillion at the end of the day.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@marcellus, how is Samoens difficult to get skiing? You jump in the gondola go up get out and ski! You can then easily go wherever you want in GM. Simples
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jamescollings, if the tourmaline run linking to flaine is closed they put buses on from the car park opposite Vernant chair lift. We used this at Christmas and it was ok. Not ideal but ok. The grands vans chair will be open to bring you back out of flaine.

That all said I can't imagine why the link would be closed now. Must be plenty of snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jamescollings, Flaine link gets closed because all the chairs to tete des saix are very exposed, and high wind etc closes the links. It seems to have happened alot this season.

You are perhaps in the best place in that stituation in morillon as les carroz and morillon are linked, and that is not affected by wind etc. So you have a reasonably large tree lined area to play in, even if the lower bits can be a bit hard/ thin etc. i would not drive to flaine from morillon, its quite a long way and if the links are closed, then it is pretty likely flaine will be a windy white out and higher lifts will be closed there as well.

If they shut the link during the day, then buses will take you back from flaine to les molliets chair etc.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Paradiski would be a long transfer for a weekend break - could eat into your time on the slopes considerably (especially when you factor in the additional travel contingency).
snow conditions
jirac18 wrote:
@marcellus, how is Samoens difficult to get skiing? You jump in the gondola go up get out and ski! You can then easily go wherever you want in GM. Simples

Comparative to the other parts of the GM this is the entry point to avoid imvho.... if you have to go in through Samoens then best off heading toward the Les Saix gondolas!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy