Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed - March 5th Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum, please relocate if needed! I'm planning on going skiing the weekend of the 5th of March for a week with my old man. Looking to get as cheap a deal as possible. Just need some advice on what country resorts to look at, mainly as I've never been at this time of year before. I'm use to going in January or March, so was just wondering if there are places I should avoid or if there are places more advised to go.

Not really fussed on which country we head to - just got to be in Europe. Been looking at the normal ones, France, Italy, Switzerland, but had a look at Bulgaria, Germany and Slovenia too.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I'm use to going in January or Marc

So is it 5 March you want to go? Best advice for a cheap deal, if you want to go with a "package" rather than DIY, is to wait till the last minute and be flexible about where you end up. "Last minute" means a day or so before. Just have your bags packed. Are you able to get to a range of UK airports? Flights can sometimes be the problem. The best last minute deal I did was to a super chalet in Courchevel 1650, but no flight available, so we went by train, via Paris.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am also going skiing on March 5th for a week but have found it difficult to find an apartment to rent for the week. Waiting for last minute snow report but am looking at La Clusaz, Les Gets, Les Saisies, Valmorel and La Thuile as driving (Tesco points for Eurotunnel) and have 2 beginners with us. Apartments by ski schools and chairlifts seem thin on the ground.

We have always found DIY the cheapest in France and Italy -Usually grabbing cheap flights, Although folks say Austria is far cheaper eating out. Have also done a package to Bulgaria and Romania- cheap but snow iffy. If you are good skiers Borovets may be a bit limiting for you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What size apartment are you looking for, @Kay? I would have thought there'd be something in Les Saisies.

This is well located, sleeps 6. Expensive, though. There are plenty cheaper http://reservation.lessaisies.com/3-pieces-6-personnes-village-des-lapons.html?&cid=1&action=result&resa_action=result#top

This is cheaper also very well located. http://reservation.lessaisies.com/deux-pieces-grand-mont-2-212.html?&cid=1&action=result&resa_action=result#thaut

For easy access for your beginners you need to be in Les Saisies village itself.
My selections are at random from the resort website - but there are plenty of others.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info will check them out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Apologies I didn't reply sooner, I was down a crevasse due to an email change! Rescued now so ability to post is back!

First post was meant to say I usually go January or February, but yea looking to go 5th March this year.

Thanks for the advice Pam, we are able to leave it late but like you said, I've been looking at packages so far. Found one to Sestriere for then for £581 self catering. Includes everything as well as a week of lessons for the old man. I don't think that's too bad?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sellwin90, I'm not well informed about Italian snow conditions but I think that area might not be doing too well. Could be wrong - but it's worth checking.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Always check the snow reports/forecasts before booking! It does not matter how cheap the deal is if the snow is either not there or rubbish
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's not always easy to tell what's really what from snow reports. You can ask on SHs, of course. And look at the resort website to see how many of the runs are open.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Found another to Chamrousse for £600... Anyone been there or know what the snow is like?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have been watching Chamrousse. Snowtrex offer cheap deals to there but J2ki reporting 90cm top and 50cm. Forecast says more to come this week but it seems to keep missing the big dumps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sellwin90, for Sestriere, see this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=122498#2850818
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kay, you'll almost certainly get an apartment in Flaine if that meets your needs. Look on flaine.com and check the various accommodation providers. I've used renand immobilier in the past. Just done quick check and several apartments available. On line availability and booking.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am of on 5th on my own. So looked at loads of places. My main concern was I want a big area to board on so not to get so bored.

I ended up booking with www.crystalski.com to Mayrhofen. All in passes, transfer, ski carriage and halfboard came to £830ish.

Had there been two of us the price would have been about 100 each less.

Big expense is always going to be food, passes and hire if you need to.

I went through the whole booking process on about 20 places making a note of each.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@KernowRed, and that's in a single room, presumably, not sharing so will include a single supplement? Not bad!
ski holidays
Yes total, its a single room. Strass snow homes but with food at and limited use of the Strass hotel.
ski holidays
Cheers for the input guys!

Found a catered chalet to La Rosiere, including lift pass, ski's and boots for £864. Good price I think, and from what I've found it's got good conditions. Opinions?
snow report
That pretty good, who is that with?
ski holidays
@sellwin90, some people on Snowheads are a bit rude about La Rosiere but we did a couple of holidays in La Ros in the past, and we all enjoyed it. Probably not a good choice for expert skiers or boarders, or people for whom a lively "apres" scene is a top priority.
snow conditions
Why are people rude about La Ros? I have a friend at work who came back on Sat and she can't speak higher of it!

I keep finding deals and I'm so unsure what to go for! Trying to find the best deal to accommodate my old man as he'll need lessons. So far, I've found La Ros for £864 catered chalet, w/o lessons. Soll for £869, catered chalet with lessons. Sestriere for £581, self catering with lessons (or £777 for HB).. I really dunno which is best! La Ros appears to have the best conditions but is the more expensive once lessons are added.
latest report
There are some very positive reports here about some of the ski instruction in La Rosiere. You could do a search - I can't remember the details. That'll make a big difference for your dad - worth spending a bit more to get really good lessons.
snow conditions
@KernowRed, With Crystal too. Not sure what it would've been like for single supplement though!
snow conditions
@pam w, I think we're leaning towards the Sestriere one at the moment. The price including lessons is really good - just going to double check the snow!
ski holidays
If you do book it make sure you check out the crystalski exployer app, its really good.
ski holidays
Snow conditions not great in Bulgaria this year.

We are in southern Austria (near Nassfeld) and whilst it was a slow start to the season, we had a large dump of snow the other week and lots more forecast for this weekend (currently snowing lightly).
ski holidays
8 days to go and looks to be snowing a fair amount this coming week. Fingers crossed
snow report
@sellwin90, have you booked yet? I'm finding usual early March deals scarcer & pricier than usual. Simple supply & demand matter, with good snow in much of Europe now, after poor snow at turn of year put many off. 'Don't panic!' the little man on my left shoulder keeps telling me. Intend to wait until 3 or 4 March to book for departure 5/6th. Plan B is leave hol for a week later if nothing suitable 5/6 Mar.
ski holidays
If you are looking at France 5 March is potentially the best week of the season. Vacances scolaires finished but still in the prime part of the season weatherwise (on average).

We are doing 5-12 March as our regular lads' trip but it looked as if we might be 7 strong and in need of an extra apartment. There was not a great deal available at a good price (in Chatel), admittedly a couple of weeks ago when I looked. Turns out we are only 5 or 6 so will all fit in our apartment.

I suspect there will be at least some late deals if you are not too fussy about destination and if it is just the two of you for one twin room.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DJL,
Quote:

5 March is potentially the best week of the season. Vacances scolaires finished but still in the prime part of the season weatherwise

I know...keep it quiet though or they'll all want to go that week wink
Me, myself, I on this one...makes it more difficult in some ways...but easier in others.
snow report
Still not booked and keeping an eye on prices and snow.... There was supposedly a good dump of snow in majority of areas over last few days, can anyone confirm?
snow report
Yes snowing in southern Austria, we have had maybe 10 to 15 cm down here at 700 metres, meant to be 20 cm plus at Nassfeld and more forecast for next 24 hours.
ski holidays
Good news. Still torn as to where to go! Been to France and Austria before, so think I'd like to try Italy - anyone advise where would be good to go in that direction? Would like Switzerland too but ski hire prices seem so expensive
latest report
Northern Italy had quite a bit of snow I think at same time as we have. Dolomites offer great ski-ing and very dramatic scenery.
snow report
Quote:

Would like Switzerland too but ski hire prices seem so expensive

and the expense doesn't just stop there, food and beer are costly and the exchange rate is pants. i'd stick with either Italy or Austria Very Happy
snow report
Is Passo Tonale in the dolomites? Seems a quite small ski area though?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy