Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet girl in gap year?? - advice

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Rambling? I thought it was very informative

Indeed. Actual relevant examples and information. snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Rambling? I thought it was very informative

Indeed. Actual relevant examples and information. snowHead
+1 Excellent post
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What happened to the OP? She seems to have disappeared.........
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lynnecha, I'm not sure that not posting for a day and a bit can be considered disappearing Very Happy NehNeh
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, @Hurtle, and orange200, Ta, and phew!
I hadn't seen the bit further up where someone said about Crystal doubling the pay this year, cos we were a bit surprised at how much more they were paying than Inghams had.
What they are also doing is getting everyone to log how many hours they are actually working, to try and keep it to a vaguely sensible amount, which is why they are getting the extra 2 half days off, because without that there is no chance of keeping hours down to something realistic.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
karin wrote:
I hadn't seen the bit further up where someone said about Crystal doubling the pay this year, cos we were a bit surprised at how much more they were paying than Inghams had.
What they are also doing is getting everyone to log how many hours they are actually working, to try and keep it to a vaguely sensible amount, which is why they are getting the extra 2 half days off, because without that there is no chance of keeping hours down to something realistic.

IIRC it's something to do with them having to meet the minimum wage requirements in the country the worker is posted to, comes in next season I believe, but Crystal are implementing it already.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Has the teenager changed her mind already?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Has the teenager changed her mind already?

Hope not, it was really good for my son, he grew up so much while he was away. And for both kids it's the first time they've had to plan and organise anything that major for themselves. It would have been so easy to just do the next expected thing on the list, ie go straight to uni.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sitter wrote:
karin wrote:

IIRC it's something to do with them having to meet the minimum wage requirements in the country the worker is posted to, comes in next season I believe, but Crystal are implementing it already.

Anyone have more info on the new rules for nest season?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
why do you want rules about nesting! Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

They seem to be quite concerned about it already. Just had a conversation with my daughter who says their rotas have all been rejigged because the hosts in the 'Finest' chalets were all putting in too many hours to meet regulations, and Crystal didn't want to get into trouble. It means that the Finests hosts are getting extra time off, and everyone is doing shifts all over the place to make sure there is enough cover. My daughter is supposedly running a standard chalet, but she didn't see her own guests at all between Sunday night and Tuesday night because of time off and doing shifts in the posh chalets.
She said the management were more concerned about not breaking regulations than keeping staff with their own guests. She also confirmed that the hosts she knows out there who are working for Inghams group, Skiworld and Nielsons are all being paid less and only getting Wednesday off. Wonder why Crystal is more concerned than the other TO's this year?
If all the TO's will have to conform next year it makes the job much more appealing, but surely it must push prices up cos they'll need more staff?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
karin wrote:
Quote:

If all the TO's will have to conform next year it makes the job much more appealing, but surely it must push prices up cos they'll need more staff?

Prices could easily go up, but possibly not too much. Most chalets that I have stayed in work on a 6 to 1 staff/guest ratio. Wouldn't be much extra per guest to pay an extra £100 a week to each worker which might be enough for the new rules.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Quote:
Prices could easily go up, but possibly not too much. Most chalets that I have stayed in work on a 6 to 1 staff/guest ratio. Wouldn't be much extra per guest to pay an extra £100 a week to each worker which might be enough for the new rules.

Some companies are working on 11:1 here Sad Chalets that I used to know as 2 person or 1 and a regular helper are reduced to 1 person. That will be interesting next season with the new rules!

Definitely agree with the person who said you need to be able to ski. If you can't ski at the beginning or can't learn VERY quickly you will do a lot more skiing alone than in a group. Took me over a month to go from non skier to capable of most of the reds and, with the added disadvantage of being twice most of the other's ages, I spent most of the season skiing alone. Which is ok, but not as much fun!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chaletgirl, 11:1 Crikey Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yup. I say some, but one as far as I know. I'm helping out in a large chalet of 11 rooms (different company) at the moment and it seems brilliant. The people cleaning are out by 10.30 and the chefs are generally out about the same time (this varies with the weather to a degree). I'd much prefer that than going back to being a chalet host for a smaller company with a much higher ratio!
snow report
sequoiaboard wrote:
karin wrote:
Quote:

Prices really shouldn't go up much. Wages for one extra staff, lets be very generous and say it costs the TO £200 a week in wages and what not. Say another £200 a week to cover for the staff accommodation, food, lift pass and other expenses. So £400 a week extra. Big resorts average around 300-400 customers a week. So you're maybe talking about an extra £1 on the holiday price to cover 1 extra member of staff. No one is surely going to notice an extra £2 or £3 on the holiday for having a few more staff in resort.
snow conditions
not sure if I am getting this wrong or not, but does this mean there will 2 staff days off in a chalet or will there be staff floating around chalets to cover this. if not, it will increase the cost of a chalet holiday indirectly by having to go out for meals twice in a week, and if going with kids that's 2 expensive nights out!!!
even if there is sufficient cover, this will mean staff having different days (and nights) off, this happened to me when I was working, as I was a maintenance/driver, so had to cover the bus runs for the staff that all had the same days off. it could be a pain in the neck when all your friends were partying all night and you knew you had to get up in the morning to get guests to ski school!!!
latest report
Quote:

it could be a pain in the neck when all your friends were partying all night and you knew you had to get up in the morning to get guests to ski school!!!

Laughing sounds just like having to work for a living. wink
snow report
@terrygasson, that's a uniquely driver-ish problem.

In my day if we weren't during in the morning we were usually pretty rowdy anyway. Some certain chalet girls became nocturnal creatures.
ski holidays
SkiWorld is worth a look. http://www.skiworld.co.uk/recruitment

I don't know the current position in the past they recruited under 21s.
snow conditions
TQA wrote:
SkiWorld is worth a look. http://www.skiworld.co.uk/recruitment

I don't know the current position in the past they recruited under 21s.

Agree. My elder daughter worked her first season in VT for Skiworld aged 18. She ran a 6 person chalet and loved it. Skiworld looked after her well.
snow report
On a more general note, what made you decide that you want to be a Chalet Girl? What were the alternatives? You've asked a question on a skiing forum: and you've got a lot of very useful answers here. But this is predicated on the assumption that you chose this as the best of a number of alternatives. My son got a year at a research company and was well-paid for a 19-year-old, and the experience was a key factor in getting his first full-time job subsequently. My nephew worked for peanuts at an international charity, but it was fun and interesting, and the experience got him a really rewarding job in Whitehall. Nothing wrong in doing what you propose, but is it part of a longer-term career strategy? I suppose I'm saying "What next?" after you finish.
snow conditions
@LaForet, As with most gap year's I suspect it's more about enjoyment than it is career advancement.
ski holidays
I am currently working as a chalet girl in Lauterbrunnen in Switzerland and I am only 19!!

I would say though is get as much experience as you can cooking, cleaning and dealing with people because more often than not you not only serving guests you are also living with them! I had five years experience working in a kitchen prior to this job as well as a load of other waitressing/hosting jobs. They are also very keen on you having a second language and being able to ski!

As for money, you will be getting paid well below minimum wage so I would suggest saving up and although with some companies you get ski pass, accommodation and food included you still need money for food and toiletries and of course alcohol. You will drink a lot on a ski season. Also if you are planning to work outside the EU make sure you have a visa sorted, I got stung in the first couple of weeks with a 150chf fine. Almost 2 weeks wages!!

I would also say do a lot of research on where you want to ski and the company, smaller companies tend to treat you better and are more likely to employ younger people. I would also start looking for jobs as early as you can. Seasons tend to finish around May sort of time. I got this job in August.

Finally working in a chalet is no where near as glamorous as the film!! You need to be prepared to be up and cooking breakfast at 7 (even earlier on change over days) and not finishing work until 11 at night after dinner service. If you're lucky you will get one full day off a week although there a quite often things to do on that day!

Not to put you off or anything, you do get plenty of skiing time and as long as you don't mind washing up the work isn't too hard. Just be prepared for hard work!!

I work for Ski Miquel, might be worth checking their website out or giving them a ring as they tend to employ younger people!!
snow report
OP seems to have lost interest. It's a shame when so many people take the trouble to give detailed advice.
snow report
Oh to be young @Hurtle,
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, possibly explains, but doesn't excuse.
snow report
@Hurtle, I don't think that's entirely fair. The OP was responsive and thankful for replies on the day she first posted. I suspect she hasn't realised that it has kept going 2 weeks later, particularly as there was a 10 day gap with no posts before it was resurrected. Not every new joiner becomes an instant Snowheads addict Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, 'gap year' does have a meaning, it's just become an misused phrase. It's time taken between leaving school and starting University to do non-study related activities, usually travelling, sometimes work experience or a combination of the two. Anything else that purports to be a 'gap year' is either a long holiday or a sabbatical ... or a retake.

@Orange200, "and an unpaid "traineeship" in a credible office for a few months to get a "real" reference (not sure if that is even legal now)" - ROTFLMAO - unpaid 'work experience' seems to be growing exponentially. I believe the current euphemism is 'intern'.

@rose123 - let's be brutally honest about this - how good looking are you??? Forget all the stuff about work experience and actually knowing what to do. Those of us who have observed the species 'chaletti girlus' for many years in the field have come to the strong and, frankly, unchallenged hypothesis that if you can speak the local language, can use your feminine wiles to twist men around your little finger and pass for a model you will get your choice of jobs slopeside. If you are really good - don't laugh, I actually witnessed this - you will be able to get men to tidy up after themselves (and - possibly - hoover!) thus obviating the need for you to do much of anything other than enjoy yourself, make tea and smile a lot. Guiding male guests around on skis to the best places for them to buy you drinks/lunch whilst sporting figure hugging Lycra is - apparently - gainful employment. But if you are dressed like that, for gawds sake avoid the Russians in Courchevel. Bon chance.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy