Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March trip, but to where?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone.

This is my first post on here, so i will give a little info before asking silly questions!
41 year old looking to book only my third boarding trip. Did a week in Bulgaria the first time. I spent the first few days not really enjoying myself but once i got into it a little i soon improved just enough to start enjoying myself. Its bloody addictive!

I am looking for a short break in march, the most likely option being to drive up to Scotland, but it is a fair trek, i think it took over 6 hours from Sheffield last year. So in a perfect world, I am after going abroad on the 8th march for 3 nights. Obviously this really requires a short flight and transfer,and all within a small budget. My problem is this, after finding a few flights around the budget i have, £150ish, there then is a multitude of resorts, all of which seem to then have different areas. Tbh, im confused by it all. So my basic question, though very wide ranging, is this. With all your knowledge of flights and locations, transfers and easy accessibility, where would you recommend I head for? I will sleep in almost any accomadation btw!
I maybe travelling alone, but maybe with 1 other.

Thank you in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Make a list of resorts with short transfers from airports (Innsbruck in Austria / Several around Geneva / Several smaller resorts ok for 3 days north of Verona Milan Bergamo etc) and then look for your best price flights.
Once you have the best price flights and know which airport you are likely to go to, look for self catering accommodation (to keep the price down) in those resorts.

Or google Mountain Sun Ltd as they do short breaks and see what they have available in catered accommodation
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Or google Mountain Sun Ltd as they do short breaks

very good idea, especially as they do transfers from Geneva which are a lot more affordable than most.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You want to be high, with ski-in-ski-out.

Val Thorens, Les Arcs or La Plagne, all in France.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You don't need to go that
High early March, avoriaz , flaine argentiere would be fine and a lot shorter and cheaper transfers
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@blockzzz, if you go solo transfers will eat in to your budget, if you can get train to a resort it will make life easier. This will mean many Austrian and Swiss resorts accessible, and Bourg St Maurice for access to Les Arc, stay in Bourg at a cheap hotel and use the funicular.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@blockzzz, I'd second the Geneva option and go to PdS - Morzine. Short transfer, loads of accommodation. I know a good B&B in Morzine who pick up from the airport and also take in singles - really good rates.

Also, you're based in Sheffield? So for 3 days you're limited with cheap flights because I'd assume you don't want to travel in the UK for airports.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold wrote:
You want to be high, with ski-in-ski-out.

Val Thorens, Les Arcs or La Plagne, all in France.

He said early March. Snow should be fine most places then.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gaz_H is right, flights will be the difficult bit unless you want to drive all the way to London and back. Find those first, then start look for accommodation as that's much easier.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have booked a couple of short trips in March. Both times headed to Morzine/Avoriaz area. Never had a problem with snow so unless its a freak year you will be fine heading to resorts near Geneva.

There are normally loads of flights from Luton to Geneva. Which is NOT in London despite there self-promotion as being IN London. But I guess Luton is still quite a drive from Sheffield (3hrs plus ?). I live nearer Bham and East Mids but Luton has so many flights to Geneva it is worth the extra drive on the UK side.

@queen bodecia, is right. Find flights and then look for cheap accommodation.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for Mountainsun.
Did a 3-night break with them in Tignes a few years ago. Great value, no frills and good hearty food.
The transfer was late night and the driver of their minibus was a complete maniac - thought I was going to die a few times, but maximised our slope time I suppose Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@blockzzz, got a single room in our B&B in Morzine from 8th for 3 nights. Contact management via the website below for a snowHead 's quote. We can sort transfers for you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi everyone.
Firstly ty for the responses. When you are pretty much a total novice like me, its hard to know where to even begin the search!
I looked at luton flights, ty John, and found a decent rate leaving early in the morning, which is helpful when getting to a resort, and only just over a 2 hour commute from Sheffield so that looks promising.
I have spent the last hour looking into transfers, my head is spinning a little again!
So tomorrow i will look closer into the accomodation side of things, so any more comments/advice very welcome. I am looking at the budget end of the market. although a hostel wouldnt be my first choice, i wouldnt rule it out at this stage.
Another question, i am presuming that the centre of Morzine is within walking distance of the ski lifts, so that way i can avoid timely/costly transfers each morning. Am i correct?
Dallypaul, i will contact the management tomorrow.

Cheers all. Feel free to throw random tips my way, especially about somewhere to stay and transfers!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flights - Yep. loads from Luton and parking nearby is not too badly priced. 3 days will be about £30.
Transfers - Skiidygonzales, morzexpress (discount on this site somewhere I think). About £40-60 for a return. For door to door I don't think that's bad value.
Accommodation - Don't know much about cheapest offers but I am sure you will find a solution.

Get the flights booked and enjoy.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@blockzzz,
Quote:

Another question, i am presuming that the centre of Morzine is within walking distance of the ski lifts, so that way i can avoid timely/costly transfers each morning. Am i correct?
As others have said, snow should be fine almost wherever you go (even Morzine Very Happy).

I am the first to admit that I have a bit of a 'downer' on Morzine - I've seen it snowless far too often. However, there really shouldn't be a problem with snow cover on the 8th of March. What might bother me a little about Morzine is that it is very low and you could spend a little too much of your precious time getting to the slopes. Even if you are close to a lift station you might still spend quite a lot of time going up before you can start skiing down. Others will know better than me, but do consider this. I am biased, so feel free to ignore my comments.
ski holidays
Hi,

I am in Mayrhofen for a week 5th March, I am a boarder and happy to meet up if you are looking to go riding?

I booked a full week, half-board, transfers and lift pass for £820. Flying Bristol to Innsbruck which is a 1.30hr transfer (crystalski.co.uk)

I have never boarded in Europe so when i was looking i wanted cheapest deal with the most ski area. Mayrhofen seemed to tick the box as the Super Zillertal pass covers a massive amount of other areas.

Take a look if it helps
snow conditions
A handy map to show you distances (from Geneva):

http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-70/
snow report
Thank you all.

The map is helpful ty.
Another question please. Looking at the map in the post above, Morzine is linked with Les Gets and Avoriaz, which seems like a bonus as there are more runs available. Would anyone suggest that Le Grand Bornand is still the better location? All thoughts on this welcome.

Thank you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy