Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Race Tuning Kit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I've been slalom race training for around a year in the UK going most weeks for a couple of hours and having recently purchased my own skis and having just come back from 6 days of skiing I feel like it's definitely time to start investing in some tuning gear rather than paying for a shop to do it for me.

Having done some research it seems that I need:
Diamond file to de-burr pre tuning
Base edge file and guide
Side edge file and guide
Gummy stone to polish at the end
Vice and elastic bands
Anything else? (not worrying about waxing atm, and I'm fairly happy with what the internet offers with regards to what I need.)

A few questions
My skis are atomic SL skis, what angle should I have for the base and side edge.
For the base and side edge should I get adjustable guides like the holmenkol/toko adjustable guides or fixed guides.
Should I be able to fully tune my edges for ~£100 (most likely excluding the vice)

Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As with so much about skiing, there's a lot of personal choice involved. For example you can't reduce your base edge angle without a base grind, and I'm guessing as a racer you're not going to want to increase it, so what's the point of a base edge file and guide? My choice, gummy = deburr; diamond/Arkansas stone = polish.

Personally I would recommend you had a chat with Spyderjon at the pisteoffice; because amongst other things he has recommended base and side angles for most ski types on his site, and he'll give you straight advice whether or not you buy your kit from him.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@maxpark3r, welcome to snowHeads & thanks for your email. I thought I'd reply to your email here. Here's what I'd recommend, all of which are available on my site wink :

Skiman side angle edge guide, 87 degrees - which is your skis factory angle & is perfect for slalom
Skiman spring clamp for the side edge angle guide
Kunzmann base edge angle guide, 1 degree - which is your skis factory angle & is needed to accurately maintain the base edge angle with the alu-oxide stone & fine diamond stone (do not use the metal file on your base edge)
Kunzmann alu-oxide stone - to remove work hardened skiing burrs & gate/rock dings etc
FK/SKS World Cup titum x-chrome file, 20 x 120mm, medium cut - for primary sharpening
Moonflex Prof diamond file, 200grit - for secondary sharpening/initial polishing
Moonflex Prof diamond file, 600grit - for secondary polishing & removal of the hanging burr
Kunzmann hard gummi stone - for secondary hanging burr removal
Kunzmann stopper II folding brake retainers - keeps your fingers well clear of those lethal brake levers on your skis

You're also going to need trim the sidewalls back but a trimmer is pricey & you'll only use it occasionally so if you can get to my store I can do it for.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another recommendation for @spyderjon, no it isn't the cheapest but the kit he sells is top notch pro tools that will outlast cheap ebay tools many times over.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Which Atomic SLs? Are you on full FIS-spec 165cm mens SL? Or something easier Happy Are you racing indoor, outdoor (plastic), or in the Alps? Ask around what your other co-racers use and what your coach recommends.

What age-group are you skiing in? Most U14s and younger that I know use 88 degress, the U18s and older using 87 degrees with the U16s split 50:50 - I think it may depends on whether they are still on junior skis or have moved onto adult.

Spyderjon's list is good. Borrow a sidewall trimmer from your coach or other racers when you need one.

Don't neglect waxing: you need the skis sufficiently well waxed not to stick, but at your level not so well that you rocket off into the undergrowth - a decent all-purpose wax will cover 90% of conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and if you can get to Nottingham do@spyderjon's half day tuning course, a great course where you learn tons and much cheaper than a messed up pair of skis when the internet tells you wrong.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with Rob W, don't forget the wax
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy