Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Grippy" short turns

Poster: A snowHead
balernoStu wrote:
@jedster, have you seen this video, showing in slow motion a couple of low transitions leading to big (and effective) edge angles, Shiffrin in GS:

edit: seems you have to click the youTube logo to view

http://youtube.com/v/6-8TIENFWkE

There's a lot to study in that vid...

That was great.

Re jedsters post (which made me think).
In linked video there is actually a lot of flex and extension, but its in the lateral plane.
Which makes her look low. But legs are still working hard
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure this demo is that good but here are a few turns trying to demonstrate short turns finding grip at or below the fall line then followed by a few turns above the fall line. Pitch is about 36 degrees on firm hard snow, skis 16M radius.

https://vimeo.com/154991251
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gerry wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Well, if this is official BASI standard terminology (Rob, is it?) then no wonder it's such a ucked up organisation.
I don't think it ever gets that complicated. Generally it would be described as grip before the fall line, grip at the fall line or grip after the fall line. Simple and unambiguous, to me and everyone I've ever skied with on BASI courses.

Great, that's how I always understood it. Thanks!

'Grip below the fall line' what utter rubbish.

It's not that hard!

Once you have crossed the fall line (aka you are after it) in the turn, you are further downhill than the point where you hit the fall line in the turn (aka you are below it).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do sympathise with those who have to commit this kind of thing to writing. It must be very hard.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
Gerry wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Well, if this is official BASI standard terminology (Rob, is it?) then no wonder it's such a ucked up organisation.
I don't think it ever gets that complicated. Generally it would be described as grip before the fall line, grip at the fall line or grip after the fall line. Simple and unambiguous, to me and everyone I've ever skied with on BASI courses.

Great, that's how I always understood it. Thanks!

'Grip below the fall line' what utter rubbish.

It's not that hard!

Once you have crossed the fall line (aka you are after it) in the turn, you are further downhill than the point where you hit the fall line in the turn (aka you are below it).

I prefer Rob's explanation. 'Below' just makes no sense to me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's not "after" vs "below" that's the problem!

It's "from" !! From the fall line - what does that mean??

@skimottaret, thanks - to me that looks to be of a much higher level than in the L2 video posted earlier, would you agree?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pending, I think the common sense interpretation is that "from" = "at".

The video posted by skimottaret is well above the L2 standard. The piste that was being used is a steep black, and L2 candidates would not be expected to make short turns on that grade of terrain.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Red Leon wrote:
You probably don't remember (why would you?) but last year in San Cass, we were doing short turns one afternoon and I mentioned that I felt I had to ski in 'full attack' mode to get anything like the desired result.
Well, that guy (Beaulieu) is doing for real exactly what my feeble imagination told me I was doing on a gentle slope that lovely sunny afternoon Embarassed

Something to aim for, perhaps?

I remember it very clearly. Those breakthrough moments are memorable for me as a teacher, as much as for the skier who makes them.

Definitely something too aim for. Beaulieu is an inspirational skier Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pending wrote:

From to me reads 'from the point you hit the fall line.' Which would be the same as 'at.'
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pending, again I agree with Rob: "from" == "at"

But I think I've just cottoned on to a subtlety from one of your earlier comments where you said "or have the criteria become tougher". The video states the requirement as "after the fall line" whereas the level 2 work book states it as "from the fall line". To me those are different, but it's a small difference. It wouldn't be the first time such things are inconsistent, but I wouldn't worry about it. The most important part of the sentence is "grip": if the trainer can see that (and it's not just right at the end of the turn) I reckon they'll be happy. If they're not happy, then grip earlier. If it gets to the point where these small semantic differences are relevant then you're probably not going to convince the trainer other than by changing your skiing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
You probably don't remember (why would you?) but last year in San Cass, we were doing short turns one afternoon and I mentioned that I felt I had to ski in 'full attack' mode to get anything like the desired result.
Well, that guy (Beaulieu) is doing for real exactly what my feeble imagination told me I was doing on a gentle slope that lovely sunny afternoon Embarassed

Something to aim for, perhaps?

I remember it very clearly. Those breakthrough moments are memorable for me as a teacher, as much as for the skier who makes them.

Definitely something too aim for. Beaulieu is an inspirational skier Happy

It is well worth watching all of his numbered videos for inspiration snowHead

Maybe a big dose of jealousy as well Skullie

youtube.com/v/QYfqO-ISQlk

Just look at his shoulders and head how quiet they are, this shows just how strong his technique is. Very inspirational but will take many years of dedication to attain.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pending wrote:

@skimottaret, thanks - to me that looks to be of a much higher level than in the L2 video posted earlier, would you agree?

There are some 2015 L3 pass runs in this video along with some coaches showing the L3 standard.

http://youtube.com/v/xsQwSj2Vd3I

Looks to me like a lot of pivot entry and gripping after the fall line so "from" = "after". They probably want you to demonstrate steering skills and speed control rather than the carved short turns a race coach is looking for.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kenny, I do hear the coach in that video say 'at the fall line' when describing the level though. I'd agree that steering and speed control will be important, grippy isn't necessarily carving.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is me doing L2 pass level grippy short turns...

http://youtube.com/v/YEH7G_Cvofo

@Pending, what level of BASI are you having this discussion about?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
what speed are bumps meant to be "at or above the minimum speed" ?
latest report
@balernoStu, #1 proper powder, #2 bumps (or maybe spring snow), #3 dickin around on SLs in mid air.

You can tell I've really thought this through... snowHead
snow report
balernoStu wrote:
@Kenny, I do hear the coach in that video say 'at the fall line' when describing the level though. I'd agree that steering and speed control will be important, grippy isn't necessarily carving.
On a few the skis are in the air through the fall line. That aint grip!
ski holidays
Thanks for the videos, guys. That's exactly what I was after. Anyone got any other examples of shorts either above or below the passing level, at L2 or L3?

@kitenski, that looks to me like a higher level of performance than in the L2 BASI video! It seems to me that the passing level is definitely higher than that video shows, but according to BASI, that is the level required, and "from" = "after"
ski holidays
@Pending, those were called a very strong pass to be honest, so above the minimum, well spotted Smile
ski holidays
BTW if this link works it's my shorts progression.. (doing of phone)

http://youtube.com/v/wt_UsrA5Otc
snow report
@kitenski, very good compilation highlighting your issues and then showing all the improvements made to your skiing !! (I think I filmed a few of those clips Wink )
latest report
Pending wrote:
Would anyone have any video example of the difference?

Hi Pending, In the video I posted can you see the difference in grip below the fall line and above? Another way of thinking about this is if you are skiing in a half pipe where do you feel the edge and pressure building up? Before you get to the top of the pipe, at the top or on the way back down...
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
@kitenski, very good compilation highlighting your issues and then showing all the improvements made to your skiing !! (I think I filmed a few of those clips Wink )

I agree Toofy Grin - a short compilation showing progress even I can see Embarassed

I am particularly struck be the increase in dynamic movement (ie. knees moving up & down and feet / skis going across the body) as demonstrated by the last two of Greg's clips.

If (as Rob claims, so it must be true!), I had some sort of 'breakthrough' in my skiing - which will never be anything but mediocre - I think it was the realisation that I needed to be more dynamic, ie. try not to ski like a robot / dalek
I found that to achieve even the modest performance we were looking for (and it was truly modest), I had to feel I was jumping around like a WC slalom skier rolling eyes
The video subsequently showed I was still far less dynamic than I felt - but I suspect I am fairly typical of most 'holiday' skiers whose movements are much smaller and less dynamic than they believe.
snow report
@Red Leon, hear hear to all of that. I feel the same!
ski holidays
The points is that at the beginning of the turn (before the fall line) the slope helps you turn. If you imagine traversing and then just relax, you will tend to head downhill. Once your skis pass through the fall line, if you wish to continue the turn you will be working against the slope, requiring more force and edge angle. That's why beginners can often start a turn carving, but end up skidding towards the end of the turn and/or not completing their turn.

As you get more advanced you realise that the fact that the slope helps you start the turn makes you lazy. The key to going fast racing is to not be lazy but to develop the maximum turning force you can at the beginning of the turn. To develop that turning force you have to essentially throw your body down the hill and trust that the skis are going to turn and catch up with you. That's what makes racing so fun Happy

M
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:

You did indeed film at least one of the clips!
snow conditions
hyperkub wrote:
The points is that at the beginning of the turn (before the fall line) the slope helps you turn. If you imagine traversing and then just relax, you will tend to head downhill. Once your skis pass through the fall line, if you wish to continue the turn you will be working against the slope, requiring more force and edge angle. That's why beginners can often start a turn carving, but end up skidding towards the end of the turn and/or not completing their turn.

As you get more advanced you realise that the fact that the slope helps you start the turn makes you lazy. The key to going fast racing is to not be lazy but to develop the maximum turning force you can at the beginning of the turn. To develop that turning force you have to essentially throw your body down the hill and trust that the skis are going to turn and catch up with you. That's what makes racing so fun Happy

M

Yup, think you've pretty much described my skiing style Sad

When I first learnt years ago on old-school skis I remember being taught all this stuff about how to transfer weight to initiate the turn by crouching and extending, planting poles and all the rest of it.

Then with the more modern skis I came to realise this was largely unnecessary and all you needed to do was allow your skis to go down the hill, put a bit more pressure on the outside ski, and you'll turn no problem.

Trouble is as you say, this makes you quite lazy and I tend to end up sliding round the second half of the turn rather than carving on both edges and leaving 2 clean tracks in the snow as I'd like to.

Any tips to get out of this habit? Is throwing yourself into the turn as you suggest the answer or will that make me come a cropper? Puzzled
latest report
A good exercise to do on an easy-moderate slope is to start out doing long and lazy turns. Keeping them round and carved doesn't take much physical effort, just some finesse with the edges. Then gradually shorten each successive turn. Keep them round, but you will reach a point where you begin to struggle to keep them carved and round. At that point, do longer and longer turns. Repeat this cycle several times and hopefully by the time you finish the drill your shortest clean carved turn will be shorter than you could manage to begin with. The exercise also makes you work at your control of turn size by adjusting how much you angulate the skis.

M
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Haggis_Trap,
Quote:

Re jedsters post (which made me think).

In linked video there is actually a lot of flex and extension, but its in the lateral plane.

Which makes her look low. But legs are still working hard

Definitely. I didn't intend to suggest that by staying low your legs weren't working just making the point that it seemed a more effective way of going from high edge angle to high edge angle than "standing tall" at transition (which is one way of releasing the old edge and readying for the new one
snow report
The BASI L2 Short Turns video is out of date (2010). The criteria have got tougher. Now you have to be gripping by the time you reach the fall line and maintain grip until the end of the turn. If you can manage to grip before you reach the fall line, that's great and (if other criteria are met) you should definitely pass. If you grip at the fall line that should be OK too. If you don't achieve grip until after your skis hit the fall line you will not pass (unless your examiner is also out of date, which can happen). Stop worrying about / arguing about the wording of the criteria and focus on improving your skiing. You will not win an argument with your examiner; you will only succeed in annoying him or her and that will not help you. Regardless of when you think you are achieving grip, just try to get earlier grip and more grip.
ski holidays
Best thing I heard from a trainer is, it doesn't matter what they look like as long as there is grip rather than skidding and you can show control of slowing down and speeding up, the turn will be your turn, not the absolute perfect turn, it'll be the Martin version of the turn - he said he'd pass me on that
snow report
Here is a new Video from the Irish Association showing the level for L2 short turns. They have both trainers demoing as well as actual candidates. Much better than the BASI video in my opinion. Enjoy..

http://youtube.com/v/azVZ6LJGGL0
snow conditions
@skimottaret, is it me but the trainers turns seem a bit "poppy" to me, quite a bit of vertical movement of the head and upper body???
snow report
maybe that is okay and typical at L2 Wink
ski holidays
Derek also displays a lack of rotational separation which again is allowed at L2
ski holidays
@skimottaret, so you mean some stuff is verboten at L1 but allowed at L2? Puzzled
ski holidays
I'm no expert but the IASI l2 looks a lower standard than the BASI L2 based on my experience with BASI.
snow report
looks pretty similar to me... One thing that creeps in at BASI is the current flavour of the year and the trainers talk a lot about whatever was topical at the trainers conference and or Interski. When I started the BASI way was a very wide cowboy stance and you still see Trainers from that era who ski that way. Then it was Canadian crouch, then big inclination on GS turns, then cross through was all the rage, now it is all about cross under level head and low hip position... Although BASI always talk about outcomes there is a big emphasis on inputs...
latest report
You are not expected to be able to carve short turns at level 2?
latest report
Ah - missed the discussion above - more about steering and speed control than carving - get it. Clearly you need to demonstrate those aspects with a high degree of competence to teach.

was looking at the J F Beaulieu video - nothing shows the truth of the "virtual mogul" thing better than his skiing - those fast, short carves he makes show so many similarities to fall-line bump turns
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy