Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go from Zurich for 2 days of skiing... need assistance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Looks like I might be sneaking in a cheeky flight to Switzerland and need some help...
Arriving Monday 11.45, departing Thursday 13.00 so I can get 2 full days skiing - maybe a sneaky afternoon on the Monday if transfers are quick. Will probably use the 'famous' Swiss public transport system to get to a resort...
I'm going to be snowboarding - beginner looking for blues and reds, and avoiding drags and T-bars.

I have a few options and need your help to decide...

1.) Davos/Klosters - friend will already be there... but a review suggested it has lots of flat sections & T-bars

2.) Jungfrau - Wengen or Grindelwald - based on constant championing on this site!

3.) Engelberg - because it seems closer to Zurich than other options...

Can anyone offer some insights - or something better than I've not considered...

p.s. my budget is £500, flights are going to be £110 - so I need 3 nights accomodation, 2 days lift pass, transfers and ability to eat and drink for just under £400... is that doable in Switzerland???

thanks
MM
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flims/Laax is well regarded by boarders. From what I can remember it is mainly bubble lifts, with only a few t-bars on the glacier. You can get the train from Zurich to Chur and then a postbus into Flims.

I'm yet to be convinced that Wengen is a great resort for boarding (having done less that 1 week!!). Many of the blue runs are tracks, which is great on skis, but not on a board. Although if you're only going for 2 days, then I guess there would be enough to keep you happy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountain mad, You need to check that Engelberg is ok - it has a reputation for some serious off-piste... Take a look at Ski Resorts around Zurich and current Swiss Snow Conditions. Of the suggestions so far it looks like Flims, Davos and Klosters have the best of the snow right now.

Early next week we'll have "Best snow near Zurich" but you'll be there by then so you can tell us! Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountain mad, Since you are going midweek,and only have 2 days I would actually suggest Flumserberg. Otherwise I would say you have little chance of skiing on Monday PM.

It's by far the easiest area to get to by train from Zurich. Gets very busy at weekends but midweek should be quiet. Good for beginners and you can get all over the mountain without using t-bars.

Would not recommend Engelberg for a beginner.

All the big names - Davos, Flims/Laax, Lenzerheide, Arosa are good for avoiding surface lifts and have suitable terrain.

BTW it looks like there will be some snow Tuesday and Wednesday.

To get to Flumserberg, get the train to Flums and get the post bus up or get the train to Unterterzen and go u[ in the gondola (quite a bit quicker). See the timetable at www.rail.ch. You can probably buy a combined 2 day lift pass and train transfer (called Snow'N'Rail) from the train station (look at www.railaway.ch).

But really if you are a beginner, only have 2 days, want to use the train and are avoiding a weekend, Flumserberg is the place to go.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountain mad, I would second the advice from neilswingler, .The conditions in Flumserberg and Davos are excellent at the moment. I would give Flims/Laax a miss at the moment as the conditions there are not so great. The Jacobshorn area of Davos is great for boarders wide slopes and no flat sections.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd go with Davos - I think it would offer you lots.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Used to live in Zurich, Davos/Klosters would be my shout if you're flying into Zurich, good variety and plenty to do in the evenings. Engelberg is fun for a day, but much smaller and the main black can get to be a bit tricky at the top. Wengen great, but harder to get to (not sure how easy from Geneva?). There's also Arosa, that is quite easy to get to and a lot of fun for a weekend. The Snow'N'Rail is the best deal out! Enjoy!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guys thanks for the advice
I think I slightly misled you - its not this week - but in a few weeks time.
Will check out Flumserberg and Davos/Klosters!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for Flumserberg. Not overly keen on it myself coz work means we're weekend skiers, prefer Hoch-Ybrig (and it's closer to us). But for ease of access, Flumserberg can't be beat. I'd hop off the train at Unterterzen, cross the road and go up in the bubble.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy