Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there a ski resort that i can reach from Paris by a train ?

Poster: A snowHead
under a new name and PeterSnowhead: it seems to only run on Saturdays.
Leaves Gare Lyon at 07:55.
https://www.captaintrain.com/search/paris/visp/2016-02-13-08:00
I've used it to to go to Saas Fee, but was some years ago. Doesn't run after the end of March - at least it didn't back then.
I also learnt the hard way to go all the way to Brig rather than get off at Visp - that way you get a seat on the bus.
And remember well the conversation with Swiss Rail about the seemingly short time between the train getting in and the bus going - 5 minutes i think it was. Far too short i thought, but the concept of possible delays seemed completely alien to the Swiss official Confused

(If i couldn't get the direct train, i used to change at Lausanne - would Basel have been better?)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PeterSnowhead, Another option is to take the TGV train to Annecy and get a bus from there to La Clusaz.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Paris to Sion, Brig, Visp etc - one change at Geneva. First train at 7.23am, gets to Brig at 12.40.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm in Serre Chevalier right now. We took a sleeper train from Paris to Briancon. 10 minute taxi ride to Villeneuve (Serre Chevalier 1400).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowymum wrote:
@PeterSnowhead, Another option is to take the TGV train to Annecy and get a bus from there to La Clusaz.

Cheers, will also think about this. I've done this exactly (TGV to Annecy) but took a rental instead of a bus, then again I wanted Avoriaz & some touring around. Will have to check the bus option and La Clusaz, which then again I have never been to as well!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hells Bells, is Modane direct for Valloire? (Not an area I know)...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think St Michel de Maurienne is the nearest station to Valloire (not Modane).

Modane is near Val Cenis, La Norma, Aussois and Valfrejus.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, still have a long transfer up the hill, check it out on a map!

It's the Col du Telegraphe / Col du Galibier road and a fair way from Modane - I've had the pain of cycling it a fair few times!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jonpim, per SBB that involves a change in Lausanne.

TGVs don't generally run on Swiss tracks at any speed due safety reasons I presume.

So I guess it makes sense to switch ti regional service at the first big station.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh and Cappy-feckin-traintard wants me to sign in.

As I much prefer www.loco2.com that ain't going to happen.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowymum, but the TGV is not going to stop at every town en route, maybe Modane and maybe Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne but not Saint Michelle de Maurienne which is the nearest station (at the bottom of the road) to Valloire / Valmeinier
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam wrote:
@snowymum, but the TGV is not going to stop at every town en route, maybe Modane and maybe Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne but not Saint Michelle de Maurienne which is the nearest station (at the bottom of the road) to Valloire / Valmeinier

That's exactly what the "ski" TGVs do, stop at all the railway stations at the bottom of the hill, for example for this Saturday:-

07h32
PARIS GARE DE LYON
11h46
SAINT MICHEL VALLOIRE

I counted 11 direct trains to all the principal Maurienne stations this Saturday including a night TGV (leave Paris at 11pm, arrive at 6.30am in time for a transfer, pain au choc and poo before getting a lift pass). The night TGVs are cheap, I've taken them in 1st class and they are better than the couchettes.

Some of the Pyrenean resorts are possible by TGV or sleeper but the best is Le Lioran where the railway station is at the base of the pistes - ski in, ski out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

That's exactly what the "ski" TGVs do, stop at all the railway stations at the bottom of the hill, for example for this Saturday:-

07h32
PARIS GARE DE LYON
11h46
SAINT MICHEL VALLOIRE

I counted 11 direct trains to all the principal Maurienne stations this Saturday including a night TGV (leave Paris at 11pm, arrive at 6.30am in time for a transfer, pain au choc and poo before getting a lift pass). The night TGVs are cheap, I've taken them in 1st class and they are better than the couchettes.

Some of the Pyrenean resorts are possible by TGV or sleeper but the best is Le Lioran where the railway station is at the base of the pistes - ski in, ski out.

Never heard of any night TGVs from Paris, in fact there are only slow trains (intercity) running night-long as a TGV would arrive there way too early leaving at 11pm...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PeterSnowhead wrote:

Never heard of any night TGVs from Paris,

That is more a comment on your lack of knowledge.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tamirlik, hello- welcome to snowheads.

I haven't been skiing by train since about 1982 (London-Zermatt via Paris and a sleeper). But we have used the continental railways a bit on summer holidays- including sleepers out of Paris (many of which have now been discontinued).

What I can say is that the answers are on this website http://www.seat61.com/ski-by-train.htm#.VruTqjZ8c74

There are pages on skiing in France, Switzerland, Austria and Andorra. It looks like sleepers out of Paris are (pretty much) gone as far as stops within France. But I see the post about Briancon- it would be great if someone could post a bit more about that.
snow report
@davidof, might that only be for Sats in French holidays though?

I can't be bothered to check the timetables mon to Fri so I'll leave that to you as I can never understand them Toofy Grin
snow report
@ed123, goes every night from Gare d'Austerlitz. There was talk of it being discontinues, but for the time being at least it is still running, mainly due to the recent tunnel collapse that has closed the main road route for those coming from the North.
ski holidays
looks like there is a regular sleeper to St Gervais too- leave London Fri Sat or Sun at 18.01 arrive St Gervais 08.44 next morning- change trains and Chamonix by 9.50 thence l'Aguille du Midi- cool.
snow report
https://en.rail.cc/night-train/paris-gap-briançon/intercités-de-nuit-5789-93/307
ski holidays
Get the lyria from Paris to Geneva and go to Chamonix, Megeve etc in an hour transfer. No worries!
ski holidays
Take the Eurostar to Londres and after a short stroll to Euston take the sleeper to Fort William and you're but a short bus ride to Glencoe. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
davidof wrote:
PeterSnowhead wrote:

Never heard of any night TGVs from Paris,

That is more a comment on your lack of knowledge.

Well then maybe you could enlighten me with your sapience by exemplifying the actual case of a night TGV currently in operation, like those iDNight that circulated between 2008 and 2011 but eliminated because deemed unprofitable?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
@PeterSnowhead, We could start with the 22:34 from Paris to Bourg st Maurice.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, correct - stops as St Michel/Valloire
latest report
johnE wrote:
@PeterSnowhead, We could start with the 22:34 from Paris to Bourg st Maurice.

ALL HAIL johnE WHO INDEED ENLIGHTENED ME

God damn I had indeed no idea that such a train existed!

Indeed I was showing total lack of knowledge.

Profuse thanks and very sorry for not having done my research properly. Then again it's not like the SNCF reservation website helps a lot. But my bad also not exploiting properly in all of its options.

Again, thanks! Will start researching again from here!
ski holidays
By the way, open for suggestions for the return trip! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I think there is one back at 19:00 ish
snow report
johnE wrote:
I think there is one back at 19:00 ish

Thanks, so I saw as well - but none afterwards apparently, only Intercity / sleeper...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%09+Is+there+a+ski+resort+that+i+can+reach+from+Paris+by+a+train+%3F
latest report
@Tamirlik,

Absolutely loads of them! Getting to St Anton was remarkably simple from Paris. Use www.bahn.de to work it out. Much better than the SNCF site.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy