Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can I legally enter Switzerland en route for France without winter tyres?

Poster: A snowHead
Irrespective of whether it's legal, or otherwise if your driving to the Alps you want winter tyres on all 4 corners.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@crosbie, not if anything goes wrong, I'd guess.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We drove back from Switzerland on Monday and always come via Vallorbe and Champagnole across the Jura, te conditions in the snow on the French motorway was more needing of winter tyres than the roads through the mountains, but it is a lovely drive through the forests and small ski lifts. FWIW we have winter tyres, and got up the mountain and back into Saas Fee sans chains in a RWD auto estate. Without winter tyres I'd probably not go by car, but if I was forced to go without I'd stick to the motorway as much as possible, but do remember it can become just as snowy and slippery.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markymark29 wrote:
Irrespective of whether it's legal, or otherwise if your driving to the Alps you want winter tyres on all 4 corners.

Yup. I'd like all four corners, and usually have a continuous 4x4 with pure winter tyres all round (including spare), but I'll be driving a different car in early April, and as it's late season, I figure I should just get by on its two 4 season fronts. However, I'd like to know that if I'm stopped at the Swiss border I won't get fined, i.e. I meet the legal requirement.

I also have chains just in case of dumps.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its not illegal to drive a car without winter tyres into Switzerland. Folk renting cars on the French side of Geneva airport do so frequently. Border guards won't be squinting at your tyres.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can drive in Switzerland without winter tyres. But I'd echo the advice about having them when you drive in the Alps. This is a photo' from last year, taken on the road from Vallorbe to Pontarlier, at about 800m. Actually, the worst part of the journey was the Autoroute 'round Geneva, where it was just slushy between the lanes, but everyone was still driving at motorway speeds and distances. We have Pirelli Winter Sottozero tyres on our 3 Series. Just 'round the corner from this photo there was an X5 in the ditch. We'd just left a Corolla behind - he had to stop because his chains were hopeless in these conditions: fine where the snow was deep but impossible when he hit patches of tarmac. The rest of us had winter tyres on and got over the 1,000m summit fine, pottering along at about 50Kph. Of course, late April will probably mean the roads will be clear but I'd not be comfortable taking the risk, even then.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 12-03-16 17:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Its not illegal to drive a car without winter tyres into Switzerland. Folk renting cars on the French side of Geneva airport do so frequently. Border guards won't be squinting at your tyres.

Yeah, but with the collapse of Schengen, they'll probably be desperate to have something to squint at... wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting to read others' views on all this. My understanding is that in Switzerland they are not mandatory, but carrying chains would be minimum needed in winter conditions (snow or ice on road)-- to avoid charge of not equipping vehicle correctly. Same in Italy where carrying chains is perfectly sufficient although much more of a hassle a I can attest (cue rant about Italian car hire practices...).

I once crossed late night from Switzerland to Germany at a motorway (ie low altitude) border point in our GB registered Astra. No snow anywhere. Car in front, also GB registered, was turned back (granted I don't know exactly why). Guard looked at our tyres (winter) and waved us on. So I don't care what the technical point of law is, can you be bothered to explain it to an armed border guard in the middle of the night in his or her own language without appearing like a jumped up Rosbif?

@crosbie, without prejudice to a legal experts view I would say that you'd be absolutely fine as long as your tyres are otherwise fine (good condition, legal tread for CH, right size for car, etc).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
crosbie wrote:
Yup. I'd like all four corners, and usually have a continuous 4x4 with pure winter tyres all round (including spare), but I'll be driving a different car in early April, and as it's late season, I figure I should just get by on its two 4 season fronts.

My understanding is that this is asking for trouble. Having mixed tyres on the car means it is more likely to skid, as the braking effect on front and back axles may be different.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
espri wrote:
My understanding is that this is asking for trouble. Having mixed tyres on the car means it is more likely to skid, as the braking effect on front and back axles may be different.

Asking for a dedicated thread! wink Winter tyres advice required
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Winter tyres should always be fitted on all four wheels, I can't understand people's resistance to fitting winter tyres, the extra grip is unbelievable & the extra cost is virtually zero, as the other tyres aren't being used when using the winters. The only cost is having the tyres fitted to the rims. Buy some rims of eBay & this is a one off cost.
When the car is sold & the wheels/tyres can be sold on eBay.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very entertaining thread but my head's hurting a bit now.... Laughing

Does Boris have a view? I think this topic needs raising as part of the referendum debate Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree mixing tyres is not a good idea but that wasn't the question asked. wink you are not generally allowed chains on a motorway. If its slippery drive slower, leave a big gap in front and hope the driver behind you has winter tyres. Twisted Evil I encountered hail near Chaumont last weekend. The road was lethally slippery. I saw one car upside down in a ditch and a number of minor crunches with cars pointing back the way they'd come, in just a few miles. Winter tyres are what you need on snowy motorways.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would say yes, but as others have said, don't have an accident. I have driven through without winter tyres but considering the cost of cheap winter tyres on the net, I would say fit them. I think my Astra's set cost me £120 fitted for all four.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In my case, the owner of the car does want to move to all season tyres (with snowflake) on all four wheels, but having a bit of a 'cash flow issue' they're happy to get a bit more wear out of the nearly new rear summer tyres before replacing them (and keeping them as spares).

Yeah, "False economy!", etc., but c'est la vie (ou la mort).
snow report
marcellus wrote:
@Snowsartre, if your car can legally be driven in the country of registration it can legally be driven in any country provided the it is appropriately insured.. So even if it were a legal requirement to have winter tyres fitted in switzerland they cannot force uk registered vehicles to have them fitted to drive there.

This is not true - and potentially dangerous advice which I have seen given before. Local traffic laws must in all circumstances be followed including tyres, chains, child seats, alcohol level, the need to carry warning triangles, first aid kits, fire extinguishers etc. In all circumstances the local laws apply, I have no idea where you get the impression from that they do not but I caution everyone to ignore your advice. The only possible misinterpretation could be to do with car manufacturing, where the standards are harmonised at an EU level (e.e. safety standards, emission etc). That does NOT mean you can ignore local laws.

What IS true is that winter tyres are not a legal requirement in Switzerland (very few places actually make them a legal requirement)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy