Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can I legally enter Switzerland en route for France without winter tyres?

Poster: A snowHead
Guessing not, but trying to hit French side of PdS from Dijon and google maps suggests cutting through CH.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From Dijon, just carry on down to Bourg en Bresse, turn left onto the A40 and keep going. No need to go through Switzerland.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes you can, legally.

Depends what side of the PdS you're heading, whether this is the shortest route.

If there's snow around though, the route can be snowy over the Jura around Vallorbe.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowsartre, yes you can because fitting winter tyres is not a legal requirement in Switzerland. People often assume it is but it's actually an insurance derived issue. If you have an accident, a Swiss insurance company will argue that by not having winter tyres on your car, your car is not fit for purpose so you will always be "at fault" whether you are or not. So don't have an accident! wink You will need a vignette for the motorways, though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowsartre, if your car can legally be driven in the country of registration it can legally be driven in any country provided the it is appropriately insured.. So even if it were a legal requirement to have winter tyres fitted in switzerland they cannot force uk registered vehicles to have them fitted to drive there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're heading for Chatel rather than Morzine, Les Gets or Avoriaz the best bet is the Jura route. As snoozeboy says it can be a bit sketchy if snowy and if it is half term week there will be a queue at Vallorbe whilst the Swiss flog you a vignette (or if you have a vignette whilst you wait in the queue behind other people who are flogged a vignette). That route also means crossing the Pas de Morgins which might be snowy and if so you will need chains if you don't have winter tyres.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@marcellus, have you got any reference for that. It seems pretty interesting. Why do you need warning Triangles etc?.,.,
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@flangesax, not that i can find at the moment but when we researched it before moving out that was the lettering of the law......... You do need to hi viz jackets, warning triangles etc my comments were solely about the legality of the vehicle.

So a british car must be fully legal in britain and then can be driven in another country, provided it has valid insurance, road tax and any tests etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@marcellus, yeah... sorry, I'm not buying it until I see that published... errrm.. anywhere...???
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whatever, if the OP wants to get to the Morzine/Avoriaz side of the PdS from Dijon there's absolutely no need to go anywhere near Dijon, though the route across the Jura through Champagnole is shorter and cheaper (fewer tolls) and takes only a very little longer. I take that route if weather is decent, and it's light. But most folk go straight down the motorway. And I have winter tyres and a Swiss vignette.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure about Switzerland but the Police here in Austria have the power to stop you continuing your journey if your car is not fit to handle winter conditions.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The French do, too. Usually only on very busy days, in bad weather. You don't have the right equipment, you don't go up the hill.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marcellus wrote:
@Snowsartre, if your car can legally be driven in the country of registration it can legally be driven in any country provided the it is appropriately insured.. So even if it were a legal requirement to have winter tyres fitted in switzerland they cannot force uk registered vehicles to have them fitted to drive there.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html

Plenty of EU countries where all cars must have winter tyres, wherever they are registered...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@flangesax,
Quote:

yeah... sorry, I'm not buying it until I see that published... errrm.. anywhere...???

The bit about warning triangles and other equipment you need in France is here.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/france-monaco.pdf
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Raceplate, the AA site is erring on the side of caution and reporting Mandatory in some places when in fact it is advisory and insurance driven. In Germany, for example it is NOT mandatory to have winter tyres, end of!!! However if you are involved in an accident and your vehicle is deemed not to be fit for the weather conditions, your insurance will not pay out and the police may (almost certainly will) fine you for being a danger to other road users. If others are injured, you may be charged with aggravated bodily harm, death can and does lead to a charge of manslaughter. The least you will get away with is a 60 Euro per tyre fine (and for those of us with German driver's licenses, a point on our license).
ski holidays
We went across the Jura on Friday heading back to the UK and it was stunningly beautiful after the snow earlier in the week and before the snow of the weekend so the roads were all very clear and it was great to see the small ski stations really busy with skiers, downhill, and masses of cross country going on too. When we travel that way at the end of the season it all looks a bit sad as some of the little resorts are very rundown, but with snow on everything it was a different picture. Not sure that our little dog in the back doesn't prefer the straight roads of the motorway though as with all the bends and then a crowd of roundabouts.....
Its cuts the mileage down and didn't add a huge amount of time, but we had plenty of that on Friday.
latest report
flangesax wrote:
@marcellus, yeah... sorry, I'm not buying it until I see that published... errrm.. anywhere...???

That's fine don't, no skin off my nose, it's not really relevant what you are or are not buying.

However, for the OP, I was involved in organising pan-european car tours for several years we did do quite a bit of research into to it with our public liability insurers!

and you can legally drive your UK registered car without winter tyres in Switzerland provided you can legally drive it in the UK.
snow conditions
marcellus wrote:
@flangesax, not that i can find at the moment but when we researched it before moving out that was the lettering of the law......... You do need to hi viz jackets, warning triangles etc my comments were solely about the legality of the vehicle.

So a british car must be fully legal in britain and then can be driven in another country, provided it has valid insurance, road tax and any tests etc.

Sorry, this is simply not true. It is the case that a car that is legal on the road in UK, MAY be driven in all other EU countries as the manufacturing regulations are harmonised. Local laws still apply, in all cases, with no exceptions. Hence if it is a legal requirement to have winter tyres then that applies to ALL cars whether British or otherwise. The same is true for snow chains when required, high vis jackets, non-dazzling headlights and all sorts of other things. The point is that UK registered cars are legal in the EU, but must confirm to any additional local requirements. Please do not assume you can get away with not following the local laws.

It is also true that winter tyres are not a legal requirement in Switzerland, but the comments re insurance are true and also the Police are well within their rights to refuse you access to some roads if they believe your lack of proper tyres for the conditions would be a danger to you or anyone else.

All that being said, it is beyond me why anyone would attempt winter driving without winter tyres. Below about 7 degrees C, the stopping distances for proper winter tyres starts to be much less than for regular tyres. This increases as temperatures drop, to the point where it is less than half what a summer tyre can achieve. They are not just better on snow, they are significantly better in lower temperatures. In my view it is dangerous and somewhat irresponsible to not have water tyres when driving anywhere near the alps in winter, you may get away with it (i.e. you will probably manage to make it to resort and back in most cases) but for sure you are putting yourself and others at more risk due to poorer stopping distances, traction and aquaplane resistance. I would STRONGLY encourage everyone to consider this properly, and not use the argument "I have been doing it for years and it has been fine" - which is very much like saying "I have been smoking for years and it has been fine so it must not be a risk". A very small amount of research online would persuade any rational individual to get winter tyres fitted (and it is NOT more expensive, they do NOT wear down more quickly unless you use them in high temperatures!).
ski holidays
Quote:

and it is NOT more expensive

this is indeed very true and we have run our cars on winter tyres both here in the UK and in the Alps for the last few years. Son and SIL who both do a lot of driving in the UK, and visit us in Les Gets, now do similar and the cost over a few years of having both sets pans out.
ski holidays
The questions was; "Can I legally drive a UK registered car to through Switzerland to get to France without winter tyres"

To which the answer is yes.
latest report
One problem here is that we don't actually know where the OP wants to go. The PDS is a big place. wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
One problem here is that we don't actually know where the OP wants to go. The PDS is a big place. wink

how is that a problem?

does it change whether he can legally drive through Switzerland to get to a French part of it as per his question?
snow report
marcellus wrote:
@Snowsartre, if your car can legally be driven in the country of registration it can legally be driven in any country provided the it is appropriately insured.

That's worrying.
If, say, Romanian law did not stipulate a minimum tyre tread-depth (so that people could legally drive around on slick tyres in Romania), would those tyres also be legal in the UK?
ski holidays
Quote:

does it change whether he can legally drive through Switzerland to get to a French part of it as per his question?

no, but it changes whether that answer matters. And whatever the legalities, there are certain insurance difficulties about driving round Switzerland on summer tyres.
snow report
Do love a good winter tyre thread.
Lol @ France, Romania and Germany when the question was about Switzerland. Wink

As for tyre tread depth, and to continue the thread deviation from Switzerland, if the level is below the limit for the destination (or transit) country, but within the limit for the country of registration then just don't have an accident. Friend of mine had a UK MOT'd car, with all tyres within UK thread depths, but he wrote it off on the Autobahn. German police wrote on the accident report that tyre tread depths were below German legal limits. UK insurance refused to payout (other than the obligatory 3rd party liability), but afaik he did not receive any German penalty from the police (not even for driving 180 in a summer rainstorm in a V8 car with several hundred BHP). German tyres that hit the German tread depth limits get sent to UK (and elsewhere) to be re-sold as part worn tyres, where they are good for another 10,000 summer miles.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 8-02-16 14:18; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@pam w, if the car is registered and insured in the UK then the rules that Swiss insurers may apply to irrelevant. The only issue would be if you drove your car on a road where it specifically stated that you must have winter tyres and/or chains and were then involved in an accident. The insurer would have to pay out to any third party but could deny the insured their claim.
snow conditions
Gaza wrote:
@pam w,The only issue would be if you drove your car on a road where it specifically stated that you must have winter tyres and/or chains and were then involved in an accident.

So it's legal to be on the wrong tyres until you have an accident?? Sorry but that's got to be nonsense.
latest report
Going back to the OP's question, eTyres http://www.etyres.co.uk/winter-tyres-law/ says:

Switzerland

Winter tyres are mandatory in Switzerland between 1st November and 15th April for vehicles not using snow chains. These dates may be extended in weather conditions persist.
Snow chains can only be used if the roads have a complete covering of snow and must be fitted on at least two driving wheels.

That seems reasonably clear - but maybe it's not true.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is very much akin to an exchange on a motorcycle owner's forum about whether or not the rule concerning reflective stickers on motorcycle safety helmets mandated under French road traffic legislation (albeit the law is not uniformly enforced) is applicable to British motorcyclists whilst on French roads... with some correspondents seemingly firm in their belief that a stout "I'm British don't you know..." (delivered slowly, in a bellow) will be a sufficiently robust defence in the face of enquiry from Les Flics. As of yet it is disappointing that no-one has mentioned the stipulated number of baguettes required per vehicle occupant, nor whether the copy of Proust's "À la recherche du temps perdu" needs to be original French language or whether a translation (conforming to the national registration of the carrying vehicle) is permissible but I guess that may be excused as the OP's original question concerned Switzerland. Do please keep the posts coming Laughing
latest report
@Red Leon, I suggest you re-read what I wrote.
latest report
Red Leon wrote:
Going back to the OP's question, eTyres http://www.etyres.co.uk/winter-tyres-law/ says:

Switzerland

Winter tyres are mandatory in Switzerland between 1st November and 15th April for vehicles not using snow chains.

So if you're using chains then winter tyres are not mandatory!

how much clearer would you like it to be?
ski holidays
@marcellus, but only applies if snow on the road
'Snow chains can only be used if the roads have a complete covering of snow'
latest report
@Red Leon, it's not true though.

You are expected to have winter tyres when driving in winter conditions. If you impede traffic through not having the correct tyres, the polices may fine you. If you have an accident in winter conditions, you may be held liable, even if you otherwise wouldn't be. As already stated, you may have trouble with insurance, though I am not convinced this applies to UK insured cars. But legally, you are not required to, and the date thing is just rubbish.

OP - if conditions are good I wouldn't worry about it. If it's snowing, take another route.
snow report
Red Leon wrote:
marcellus wrote:
@Snowsartre, if your car can legally be driven in the country of registration it can legally be driven in any country provided the it is appropriately insured.

That's worrying.
If, say, Romanian law did not stipulate a minimum tyre tread-depth (so that people could legally drive around on slick tyres in Romania), would those tyres also be legal in the UK?

No it would not. Local regulations apply. The ONLY things that is harmonised at a European level are manufacturing standards and emissions. This actually happens all the time with foreign lorries, they are taken off the road by UK police until they are in a fit state.
snow report
Red Leon wrote:
Gaza wrote:
@pam w,The only issue would be if you drove your car on a road where it specifically stated that you must have winter tyres and/or chains and were then involved in an accident.

So it's legal to be on the wrong tyres until you have an accident?? Sorry but that's got to be nonsense.

Its not nonsense, it is common sense and common across Europe - it applies in Germany, Austria and Italy. The point is, it is YOUR responsibility to ensure you care is adequately equipped for the conditions. Seems very sensible to me.
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
Gaza wrote:

If it is specifically stated that tyres/chains are required in winter conditions and it's winter conditions, I think you might be in trouble. Certainly if you are involved in an accident.

But it that is not stated (and certainly if it's not winter conditions), then you are not breaking the law (in Switzerland) if you are driving without them. It's not that it's 'illegal' to be on the wrong tyres in the event of an accident, but you have to consider that the accident may be deemed to be your fault if you are on the incorrect tyres. Only 'may'. It's more that it can tip the balance against you.
snow conditions
and it might not only be an insurance issue, but also a Swiss prosecution issue. Personally, I'd prefer to avoid the risk and as it's 100% possible to drive from Dijon to the Portes du Soleil without going into Switzerland, it's easy enough to do so.
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:

Switzerland

Winter tyres are mandatory in Switzerland between 1st November and 15th April for vehicles not using snow chains. These dates may be extended in weather conditions persist.
Snow chains can only be used if the roads have a complete covering of snow and must be fitted on at least two driving wheels.

Clear, but not true. Tyre selling site states wrong information to encourage you to buy tyres. Who knew?
ski holidays
I recently drove to Germany from France, just one trip, and have some winter tyres now, because they are mandatory there, that i don't need any more, for sale for 200 euros. i am in the Cher region of France. The tyre code is 2051SS17 4SV Nankang SV2. Used on a Renault Grand scenic. Let me know if anyone is interested in them.
latest report
So if I have 4 season tyres on front driving wheels, and summer on rear, am I OK in Switzerland in winter?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy