Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
We (2 families made up of: 5 intermediate skiers, 3 confident snowboarders, 1 early intermediate snowboarder and 1 blader) require a snow sure resort for 1 week at New Year 2006/07.

Our requirements are:

Snow sure
Not too busy queues
Picturesque
Some tree lined runs
Friendly
Some nightlife for young adults and fogies too
NOT within easy reach of Geneva

Any ideas anyone, please?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at Zell am See. SCHMITTENHÖHE should provide plenty for your group + kaprun is on the same lift pass. Also Saalbach is nearby

Zell ticks all the above boxes for me or maybe not the last one tho' Zell am Zee is a lovely picturesque town on a lake with a few bars and discos

I was there Dec 17th last year for a week and it was great.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whistler
Vail
Tig-ness
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Renry, I will look into that, thanks!

Wear The Fox Hat, It's just for one week though so Whistler and Vail are out of the question, but will look into Tignes though thanks!. snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not too many trees in Tignes though, is there????
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnboy, I really couldn't tell you. So basically WTFH has given me duff choices on all 3 counts rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IncogSkiSno, I've done 1 week trips to both, it's not that bad, and you don't have 4 hour transfers from the airport to the resort!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This thread is worth a look IncogSkiSno, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11074&highlight=
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You have a very nice criteria. The problem is that it's difficult to get a picturesque, treelined and snowsure resort in Europe. To be really snowsure, you are really looking at a glacier, which ain't always pretty.

Zell has had fantastic conditions for this time of year and is very pretty, but it may not always get good early season condition, but at least there is an extensive glacier as backup
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is the glacia at Kaprun
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno, I think you should be looking at Austria and Switzerland, and somewhere close to a glacier in case the snow fails.Check out some of Ise's blogs on mysnowsports.com - he had some super early skiing and pretty and trees, and not one of the standards. Alternatively Morillon has everything you're asking for and a good early snow record. If you come high - of course here is great but - no trees and not so ideal for intermediates. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno, I beleive you'll find that La Rosiere meets just about all your criteria although it is comparatively easy to reach from Geneva, it's certainly snow sure, it's friendly, very few queues, there are afew tree-lined runs but lots more in Italy and there is a bit of nightlife.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno,
No guarantees in this game even Morillon is close to Geneva though I dont know if this was just a not La Rosiere specification wink

Couple of places I have enjoyed at New Year and tick most of the boxes are Flims and Ischgl. I dont think any area will be queue free at New Year with the possible exception of the non traditional resorts but you could get away from the queues in both resorts when I went at New Year. Flims has a small glacier and snow making, Ischgl has high altitude rune as well as snow making though I don't know there long term snow records they looked a reasonable bet to me and we had pretty good snow in both places they are both traditional villages as well and the areas are attractive wih plenty of good skiing available.

Edit: I x posted with the above post it was not meant to be a dig at La Rosiere or the above which does indeed tick many of the boxes, just turns up frequently. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, I don't doubt it, but if I were to go trans-Atlantic, it would be for 2 weeks. Thanks anyway. Very Happy

T Bar, Flims is on our list already and so is Ischgl but has it many tree lined runs?

Thanks All for your suggestions, I shall be looking into my 'Where to Ski and Board' and internet. Keep them coming please! snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IncogSkiSno, It was a while ago that I skied Ischgl and the quieter areas at New Year from memory were above the tree line at the Western end of the ski area. From memory there was a reasonable amount of tree lined skiing but to be sure I would try and find out from someon who has beeen more recently than myself.

The best snow I have actually had at New Year was in Wengen which has plenty of tree kined runs but I don't know how reliable these are better ask DG Orff wink
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno,

Have you thought about La Clusaz.

It's a fab resort for skiers of all levels and all ages.

Take a look at our website for more info! www.gravite.co.uk.

We still have spaces for New Year 2006/07 and our chalet would be the perfect size for your group!

Cheers

gravité
snow report
graviteski, We usually ski the PdS and immediate area at least once a year and we are intending to visit La Clusaz at the end of Feb. It sounds lovely, but we want to go somewhere that we can't get to for this trip, hence NOT within a 2hr driving distance of Geneva . Thanks for the suggestion though:sH:
snow report
Just back from first trip to Ischgl, and would recommend it as it appears to meet most criteria....tree lined runs, quiet pistes, no queues (once up the mountain), awesome apres, cheap on the mountain, decent altitude, and certainly a fair drive from Geneva.....
snow conditions
Guvnor, Laughing Ischgl is currently at the top of our list Toofy Grin
snow report
IncogSkiSno, spent New Year 05 in Ischgl & really enjoyed it & snow was excellent. Agree withGuvnor on all counts but I did find the queues at the gondolas in the morning pretty horrendous, but then I have no patience for it. Dont know what your accomm budget is, there are some beautiful hotels & everyone we met said their accommodation was excellent. We stayed in the Alpenrose, was great value & location to the gondolas and town centre.
latest report
SChladming? Their snowmkaing is mighty impressive and as long as it is cold (which it usually is at new year) I'm sure they will come up with the goods - plus the pass covers many many resorts so you can always bail out to somewhere else? Very pretty, lots of tree lines cruising, some of which has great views, no queues anywhjere that I found, very quick lift system - i could go on but I do highly recommend it - it's fab! Cheap flights to salzburg and then train to get there is a very easy transfer too...or just under an hour in a cab?

aj xx
latest report
ajhainey, Ah, thanks if Ischgl is too pricey that may be worth looking at snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy