Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy - resort recommendation?

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all. We are underway with planning for our 2016 getaway. The group will be between 8 and 12 of us all-in of mixed ability including two novices and two experts. We're looking (preferably) for somewhere in Italy which offers a decent expanse of skiable terrain (i.e. Monterosa) of varying degrees of difficulty and also maintains a decent, if not VDI-comparable apres ski scene. Tree-lined would be a delight as that's where I tend to find my most enjoyable skiing, and preferable less than a 2 hour transfer (from Turin, I suspect).

I appreciate I have precise criteria but you have all been so incredibly helpful in the past and I wondered whether anywhere, from your experiences, sprung immediately to mind?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sauze D'oulx

ticks all your boxes. Snow coverage meant to dramatically improve this week.

What time of year are you planning? This year, or next Christmas 2016?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @HeidiAmsterdam. We are planning for late February 2017. I had seen some comments on a different thread about Sauze's snow coverage this year.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow is coming this week.

Very, very unusual this season, I wouldn't take it as the business as usual.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks.

In order to avail myself of options in my search, does anyone have alternatives which I should consider?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Astraeus, Base yourself in Courmayeur and ski La Thuile/La Rosiere as well.You would also be close enough to ski in Champoluc/Gressoney if you got up early one day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've just been to Passo Tonale as a group of 17 , something for everyone in that resort . Fantastic holiday , would definitely go back
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimastaaah, @Markab1971, thank you both.

Courmayeur had been on my list early on but I couldn't find much in the way of catered chalet availability. I was also a bit concerned that it appears to have only one lift coming out of the resort itself which presumably leads to queues?

Passo Tonale I had not looked into at all, so it will warrant my attention later on today.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Astraeus, Trick is to in the hamlet of Entreves and to use the Val Veny lift up....... much quieter. As regards catered chalets, I doubt you'll have a great deal of choice in Courmayeur. Try Champoluc or Gressoney.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cortina?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Champoluc..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just returned from a fantastic week in Madonna di Campiglio, a real town with plenty to do off the slopes, the pistes were in very good condition considering the snow situation, have skied in Italy for about 18 years and would certainly return to Madonna.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Astraeus, there are few catered chalets in Italy. If you stick to that criterion it'll cut down your choices a lot. You could look at Mountainsun's Albergo Frohsinn, in the Dolomites. Ski in/out. Apres probably a bit quiet - but that's true of the majority of Italian resorts if you're comparing them to Val d'Isere. But I wouldn't go to France on those dates.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bormio, s.caterina. Beautiful medieval towns with some fantastic roman spa’s and over 130km’s (somewhere between 130 to 160 depending on who you talk to) of pistes.
We love it here that’s why we run a chalet in Bormio.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sauze has a couple catered chalets.
snow report
Quote:

I was also a bit concerned that it appears to have only one lift coming out of the resort itself which presumably leads to queues?

two lifts and a third in val veny
snow report
Plus 1 for Courmayeur, a nice proper town with a variety of bars. Options for away days. Great for beginners. Good for experts, with guided options to Valle Blanche, Toula glacier, and Arp crest. Reliable snow with snow making and well groomed pistes. Great on hill food. Some good hotels. Trees. Reasonable transfers.
The only downside is it's not so good if you want high mileage.
snow conditions
Having spent an afternoon looking at my options, I've decided to drop the criteria of getting a catered chalet because, as said above, it narrows down the options so significantly.

Some great shouts for me to look at in this thread, thank you all.
ski holidays
Hey Astaeus - take a look at our accomodation at www.casa-alfredino.co.uk. I think it might suit you down to the ground as we are self catering accomodation, we are 5 minutes from Marmolada/Arabba and 10 minutes from the Civetta range. We have 5 resorts within a 35 minute drive and we are on the Giro della Grande Guerra and 2 lift rides from the Sellaronda. Theres eassy skiing and steep skiing and its fantastically varied around here. We've also just had a big dump of snow... We can cater for 10 easily and 15 if you're prepared to use sofa beds in the living areas. Let me know if you're interested! If you want catered apartments, we can sort that out too as we have a deal with a local restaurant and can fully host trips for up to 12.
ski holidays
@Casa Alfredino, your place sounds great, but is hardly within reach of what somebody used to Val d'Isere would call "good apres". wink To me, that would be a strong recommendation but not, it appears, to the OP.
snow report
@Astraeus, catered chalets are not terribly common in Italy.

Neither is French (Folie D) style apres.

You'd probably like the Monterosa skiing.
snow conditions
No, OK you've got me on that one. But then apres is all about making your own entertainment isn't it? Nothing a bottle of Hauser Traditional Schnapps won't sort out Wink As UANN aove says - if you want apres don't come to Italy. It's a touch tame... if you want great skiing on the other hand...
ski holidays
If Apres is important then I'd say you should be going to Austria personally. But Sauze is probably the closest you'd get in Italy I'd think.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy