Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Out of Season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted but desperate for snowheads help/advice as I've been post trawling but unable to find answers on the topic.

We have recently bought a timeshare in Tignes, its up in Val Claret, and it's out of season (first two weeks in May, but my understanding is that its year round skiing with the glacier, and that for the first week most of the area is open as its a French holiday?

I got it with the intention of skiing the first week and giving the second to friends/family/employees to enjoy the mountain pursuits without necessarily being able to ski. However there is literally no information about how to do anything there, out of season, so was wondering if a local or someone who visits a lot may be able to shed some light on the following.

Out of ski season there appear to be no transfers, as its our first time we are flying and getting a hire car (#costafortune) so wondering if anyone could give a heads up as to whether public transport goes from Geneva or other airports and wends its way to Tignes. Or better yet is there a decent yet cheap hire car company out there who aren't on the endless comparison sites.

If not, is the driving experience pleasant? We have two kids, four and approaching one, so ten hours plus of wailing in the car was not a prospect I was relishing hence the flights on this occasion. We would also be driving from the North East which could put another 6 hours on the journey to get to Dover or Ashford. Anyone enjoy the trip or have other suggestions?

We have been snookered with the ski schools for the 4 year old, only private lessons available at that time of year. And appears to be no crèche at all? Can anyone confirm. Failing that is there an English nanny service who can look after an 11 month old for a couple of mornings? Any help on finding decent childcare would be a massive relief. This year I will teach my 4 year old all my accumulated bad habits, we can try and iron out the damage in subsequent holidays.

Is there anything else good or bad that I should be mindful of? about the resort as I've never been. (I was sold on snow sure year round skiing with some free lifts) I may be able to move or transfer a week into more child friendly weeks so would be good to know how crowded it gets in holiday season, English and French.

Thanks and look forward to any answers or signposting to other threads if its been answered before. I've run loads of searches but not found the answers so far. Jeff Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IIRC Tignes closes some time in early May, probably the second weekend in the month and the first week of May there are lots of instructor courses running. Having said that it will only be the glacier area open. The resort will then close until the summer holiday and ski season starts. It will be totally dead the second week in May and you will need to get down the valley for any activity. The valley will be starting to get very beautiful. Though walking will be a good activity all the mountain huts will be closed until July so any mountaineering will be out of the question

One way to get from Geneva to Tignes is to get the train to Bourg st Maurice and then get a taxi, but I suspect this will be not much cheeper than hiring a car for a week and having a car will at least allow you to go down to Bourg for some shopping. A 7 day hire should cost between £250 to £300 for a van based car. Parking should be free in Tignes the week you are there.

The driving experience is OK. We drive to Les Arcs 3 times a year. Ever since my son was 1 year old he has slept almost all the way - he still does now he is 22. Just do the drive overnight.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I fear you may be misinformed. The Gd Motte hasn't been open year round for a number of years - French employment law and global warming both contributing. Not much of a gift to give others - expensive and awkward to get to and as @johnE says nothing happening, unless you are prepared to go skining. The MBX tracks will not be open and neither will the tennis courts. It is also likely that you will have a chorus of power drills and hammers as people start to do maintenance on apartments, which is generally banned in blocks during the season.

Regular transfers stop before the end of the main season and using the train usually involves a couple of transfers, plus the taxi. Comparison sites are probably your best bet for hire cars.

The glacier is by far from the best for teaching adult beginers, never mind very young children. As all the TOs will have cleared off there will be no organised nanny service, but you may be lucky and find an individual.

Sorry to be so negative. Tignes is great for skiing, but when it is closed it is dead.

Driving is fine, if dull. French motorways are generally 2 lane, with only gentle bends, but quiet. They are quiet as they are tolls and will cost you circa. £70 one way. Talking books can help, but doubt if they will work with small kids. Travelling from NE you might want to consider the overnight ferries from Newcastle or Hull.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Espace Killy is open until 1 May and Tignes until 8 May, after that not a lot happens until it becomes manic again in July when the summer opens up and there is a host of things to do.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When did you sign the contract? Are you still within the statutory cooling off period?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Pam,

No it wasn't one of those where I was propositioned or I would have gone for child friendly weeks and done a lot more research, i was offered it by someone who had skied there for almost 30 years and doesn't have the legs for it anymore and took it because of the swapping potential perhaps for something in December.

Worst case if it really is dead in week two I just may have to stop and do work from there rather than imposing it on someone else Smile

Thanks for all the comments so far any other Intel and opinions very welcome.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tignes is a good place to go early December but might be more chance of swapping for something in the "summer ski" season though as pointed out above the Grande Motte in summer really isn't ideal for beginners/small kids, with T bar lists and some horrendous lift queues sometimes.

I honestly can't think though that anyone would swap for the second week of May, with just brown melty snow around, everything shut etc. Certainly much lower areas can be lovely, with apple blossom, wild flowers, cows out on the pastures etc. But up at Val Claret it'll be melting snow and black/brown ground emerging. And often quite cold.

Even in mid summer, which is lovely in the Alps, there's a big over supply of rental property in just about all the alpine resorts, including the one where I have an apartment.

Sorry to be negative - but I honestly can't think of anything positive to say about the second week of May in Tignes...... Even at my much lower place (1550m) I've not been out in May. From June until early November it's great!

For getting there a rented car is the best bet. Ah yes - something positive. Flights will be cheap! You would absolutely have to have a car, if only to go shopping and to get down to an altitude where there's something going on. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ledge,
Don't listen to all these naysayers you have a great opportunity to branch out into a new profession of a post-apocalyptic film noir location scout.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent Shocked thoroughly reassured t bar Smile))
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy