Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Litres of rainfall?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all, particularly weather gurus.

We're off to Superdévoluy next weekend, so have been watching the weather forecasts on snow-forecast.com, bergfex and others. Being of an optimistic nature, I tend to believe whichever is telling me the best news, but still I'm puzzled by Bergfex's reporting of rainfall in litres (unless the 'l' means something else).

If they're forecasting a volume of rain, rather than a depth, then that must be over a fixed area mustn't it? So what's that area?

Or is there something else going on that I'm misunderstanding?

Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Litres per square meter (or mm to you & me).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All is clear. Thank you @musher.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is not a unit I have ever come across before.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glad someone else asked that, bought it was just me being thick!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE wrote:
This is not a unit I have ever come across before.

A lot of the charts use the unit kg/m3...since a litre of pure water weighs a kilo it's much the same thing...and equates to rainfall to a depth of 1mm or snow of approximately 1cm, though freshly fallen snow can range from 50-200 kg/m3 compared to rainwater at around 1000kg/m3, so between 5 and 20 times less dense than water, depending on how damp or powdery it is.

A quick rule of thumb is: 1l/m2=1kg/m2=1mm rain=1cm snow, but in reality somewhere between 0.5 & 2cm.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It seems to be a more European thing - all the TV weather reports in Spain do it this way - does seem a tad complicated for its own good though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@luigi, Ah you you do not have to say whether it is snow or rain. I see. Most of my meteology is from Africa Pakistan and India where we got no snow at all in the areas I was working in.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy