Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere roads

Poster: A snowHead
If the N90 is backed up at with traffic on Saturday 13th ( half term week so very likely ) is it worth taking the D220 at Landry to bring you out just before Bourg , ive done it before , but have been told the police sometimes stop " non local " reg plates , does anyone know if this is true . It will be very early maybe 7.30 am so we might be alright , but in FI they are predicting snow Friday12th /Saturday 13th , so the likelihood is the road will be stupidly busy .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

does anyone know if this is true

yes it is true, and has been reported here on SHs, for example by Steve Angus, in his thread from Val d'Isere. Being early is a good thing; earlier would be better. The next best would be to be late. 6 pm at the earliest. Best of luck.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Paw is exactly right - you will be sent back to the Motorway if you do not have a 73 plate - unless your French is very good and you can bluff a gendarme - which is unlikely with a car full of luggage and non tanned faces!

I would ignore the forecasts for the weekend after next until next Wednesday - we still have really no idea what next Monday is going to bring. Check the Tignes and Val D'Isere threads for detailed info next week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gwatts10 wrote:
If the N90 is backed up at with traffic on Saturday 13th ( half term week so very likely ) is it worth taking the D220 at Landry to bring you out just before Bourg , ive done it before , but have been told the police sometimes stop " non local " reg plates , does anyone know if this is true . It will be very early maybe 7.30 am so we might be alright , but in FI they are predicting snow Friday12th /Saturday 13th , so the likelihood is the road will be stupidly busy .

Print off a fake rental agreement for somewhere up the road if you do.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

does anyone know if this is true

yes it is true, and has been reported here on SHs, for example by Steve Angus, in his thread from Val d'Isere. Being early is a good thing; earlier would be better. The next best would be to be late. 6 pm at the earliest. Best of luck.

Yea it is almost 100% certain they will force you back on the main road but at 7.30am there will be no problems coming up the valley at all - the regulation of the roads will start about midday'ish!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't know the answer to the question (except when I was last in Bourg St M three weeks ago on a quiet January Saturday there was no traffic problems at all).

I was told by a French contact that the French have changed their numbering system meaning a recently registered vehicle in Savoie no longer has a 73 plate. Something to do with a new regional structure. I don't know if that is true ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Number plates are now non regional and have been since 2009, however just like we now have the post code where the plate was made printed on the bottom the French on the right hand side have a sticker showing where the number plate was first issued and then that number stays with the car throughout its' life whereas in teh old days the number plate was changed if the vehicle moved out of the region.

So you can still see which number plates belong to locals and which don't even though it's not an actual part of the number itself.

More explanation here;
http://www.french-number-plates.com/french-plate-info
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK Ill chance my luck with the N90 then and arrive as early as possible to avoid the traffic . Thanks everyone
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Angus wrote:
Yea it is almost 100% certain they will force you back on the main road

Good grief. What gives them the legal right to do so?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dogwatch, police has discretionin excersing their duties. This includes managing traffic flows etc. You are obliged to follow their instructions and not question it if you do not like it. What is wrong with people? If small roads will be overflown by traffic that would stop local traffic completeley, while the real botleneck (access road to a resort) would still be there. Why would a local population suffer ir some smart back bottoms who "know better" would block everything, just trying to beat the general traffic .... for the next few hundred meters?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Access for emergency vehicles is generally the reason given - at least an ambulance can get to where it needs to be at 50kph rather than sat in a 30km traffic jam. The authorities come in for some stick up here - some of which is justified, a lot is not.

But then the World is full of Brits who think they can run an organisation better than the locals - not having a pop at you DW - just a generalisation Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm just surprised police have power to tell you that you cannot drive along a public road. How are you supposed to know where you should or shouldn't drive? I'd be happy enough if people didn't use the road outside my door as a rat-run but they are free to do so.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It will probably be a local law decreed by the Prefect of the region - pretty much similar to the ban on lorries on a Saturday in the winter. Egalité etc!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

How are you supposed to know where you should or shouldn't drive?

I think you'll find you'd be left in no doubt, @dogwatch. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just like you would if you weren't allowed up the road without chains. Even if you don't speak fluent French......
ski holidays
But chains applies to everyone. A bit different to "local roads for local people". Anyway, consider me duly educated on this point!
snow conditions
Quote:

local roads for local people

Local roads for local traffic is probably a better way of putting it. Smile
ski holidays
Our transfer driver used the local roads from Chambery to 3v's. He told me that the police very rarely force drivers back on to the motorway, but they dont let people off.
snow conditions
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

local roads for local people

Local roads for local traffic is probably a better way of putting it. Smile

Was a reference to Royston Vasey

http://youtube.com/v/meF7NmfnXZ0
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
Our transfer driver used the local roads from Chambery to 3v's. He told me that the police very rarely force drivers back on to the motorway, but they dont let people off.

That has been our experience!
ski holidays
^ That depends on where you try and escape, I have been well off the motorway near Albertville and come across barriers. Handy to have a couple of shopping bags on the front seat and a knowledge of routes to local supermarkets. wink
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
^ That depends on where you try and escape, I have been well off the motorway near Albertville and come across barriers. Handy to have a couple of shopping bags on the front seat and a knowledge of routes to local supermarkets. wink

Good tip! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy