Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baord damaged while getting serviced

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone, I am new so hope this is the right place. I am Looking for advice.

I purchased a board of someone online Feb 2015, it was a new board still wrapped but the model was a 2012.
I love the board and have been using it at my local real snow indoor slope. Prob seen around 10 hours of snow total. I am going away for my first trip in March and wanted my board waxed and edged ready so I took it in to be serviced at the slope.
For there insurance purposes they took a detailed description of the board which included stating there were no scratches, dings, chips or marks with light general wear marks on the base. We both signed and agree and they took my board.

The board returned a week later and I instantly noticed a huge 15cm scratch across the top unhappy I told the staff instantly and on further inspection we found a chip in the nose and a fellable scratch in the base (looks like clamp marks). I was really unhappy as you can assume and I wanted it investigating, in the meantime I took my board to a 3rd party shop to assess the damage.
They have told me that the board can be scraped to base and re-maxed to smooth out the base scratch and wont need filling, the chip and scratch in the top can be sealed so water cant get in and that with this the ride will not be effected. However cosmetically all three marks will remain and if I choose to sell the board on it will be worth less.
I told this to the staff at the service and the lady didn't seem to think cosmetic was important, stating that I would have scratched it anyway on my holiday in a month. I know this is true but I feel that doesn't excuse the damage. They offered to repair the board and a couple of hours slope time (between £35 and £75 depending how I booked) as an apology but the reality is my board is now valued less and I have to look at these marks.

Am I being unreasonable being unhappy with this offer?
What would you be happy with?
Has anyone else had this happen?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
honestly its difficult to say without knowing what model of board it is and how much you paid for it, and seeing photo's of the damage.

realistically though a used snowboard from 2012 is going to be worth peanuts anyway, whether it has scratches on it or not.

a lot of people will stand in the ride it till it dies, use it and abuse it camp, which is pretty much where I am, although that aside, taking care of something and not wanting un-necessary damage is totally understandable.

my advise would be firstly don't get another service on it until someone else has looked at it (or post photo's) if it goes for a heavy base grind just to get rid of a base scratch you might doing the worse thing possible!

It sounds as though your after financial recompense though, which honestly I think £75 worth of riding time more than makes up for if you were going to spend it anyway.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds pretty shabby to get damaged like that, but their offer (assuming you will use it) is a fair one that doesn't really cost them anything and benefits you. It is going to get dings and scratches here and there, and a board from 2012 once you've put a couple of weeks use on it isn't going to be affected by a minor mark here or there.

I wouldn't bother getting the base ground, just get it filled. Might be worth keeping the base grind from them in the bank if you do hit a rock or it has a hard week somewhere, a single knock in the base won't affect how it performs and you don't want to keep grinding the base.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My plan is to go outdoors now so I wont get that much use of the free slopes pass.
I'm not looking for financial in my dream land I would just have my board as it was as I really loved it!.

The board isn't a top range its only middle range cost me about £250 Feb 2015 (sale for older model but still new and sealed). I have been looking for my mate a board recently and found condition really does effect the board and I am fairly sure I could have got £120 in its before condition purely on been offered it once when I was at the slope but I doubt I could now.
I feel upset that something I work hard to keep perfect has been damaged (I wouldn't have minded if I had already marked it) and right before my first holiday and there just offering me on the slopes which since I going to Bulgaria I don't need.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi, for a starter, you posted it on the wrong forum, you'd get more/better advice on the Piste or Snowboard thread. Maybe one of the mods will see it an move it, or you can repost there.

I'd be pretty pi55ed off too, if I was you, but in this case you might just have to put up with the repair, and a credit note. Take a look around the shop for something you need, and you never know your luck.

After a couple of days on the mountain, you won't notice the marks ever again. Best to name and shame the shop, and learn how to edge and wax your board yourself and move on. There is rarely need for a base grind. Think yourself lucky, there's another guy on here who took his board for a base grind, and it came back with the timber exposed.

Good luck!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I got an email from the centre today from the manager offering an apology and asking what they can do to make this right. I have told them my main concern is getting my board sorted for my holiday and I now have a meeting with them this evening and they hope to get the board repaired as a priority.
I am gutted and pi55ed that this has happened and it sucks that I am left with the outcome so I have asked them for a copy of the insurance policy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers strax
I will move the thread if I can
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Strax wrote:
Best to name and shame the shop

Given that the OP is in Leeds and had it serviced at the local real snow indoor slope I don't think it takes a massive leap of faith to guess where....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crap service, but the offer isn't that bad if you actually want to use the slope.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Strax wrote:

Best to name and shame the shop

Given that the OP is in Leeds and had it serviced at the local real snow indoor slope I don't think it takes a massive leap of faith to guess where....

I was aiming to not name and shame until the matter was resolved so that the it would be a fair statement on the place. Its naff that it happened but if they are wanting to make it right that is at least something to consider.

It has prompted me to get my own waxing kit at least.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I understand why you're pissed, but...

Doesn't sound like the damage will affect the board at all, and you'd almost certainly do similar in your first days riding it on the mountain. Especially the cosmetic stuff isn't worth worrying about - skis/boards are tools no jewels.

Being old and used it doesn't really have that much value anyway.

Money back for the service, free repair, and a couple of free hours on the dry slope (you can always keep it to use over the summer etc) sounds like a very fair response to me. It's sounds like you're hoping for a new board or money to the value of what you paid, which I don't think is fair.

Saying that, you may have a chance their insurance pays out if you really do want to push it. The lift staff at Stubai once managed to rip off some big chunks of topsheet from my skis - ugly and for sure affected re-sale price, but tbh I'm not precious about skis and frequently hit rocks etc, so I wasn't that bothered. I sent them a couple of photos hoping that I might get a meal/beer voucher to use in their restaurant, but to my surprise their insurance paid out the full price that I bought the skis for!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Moved the thread so will close this one

THANK YOU
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy