Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't call it...

Poster: A snowHead
Just rediscovered this having read it years ago in the magazine. Made me chuckle Laughing
http://whitelines.com/features/dont_call_it_boarding.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ahh Chris Morans rant. I think of it everytime I type the word 'board'
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I will think of the daily mail quote.

Not sure if I can bring myself to calling it riding though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
must make him feel like a true journalist adding all the f and c words in there....makes him sound even more retarded than someone calling it 'boarding....

oh, wait, thats just how to relate to 'true snowboarder rider people dudes'... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He needs to get out more. Wat back in 1992 "boarding" was in common use, and not by the daily mail:
http://snowboarding.transworld.net/1000114448/featuresobf/remembering-craig-kelly/

Shrug.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I'll still call it boarding to confirm my uncoolness. If I was being honest I would say I'm going falling and overestimatingmyskillsing. But I'm as delusional as the next man of my (what do I call it) ability.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Ahh Chris Morans rant. I think of it everytime I type the word 'board'

Yeah, me too. Its funny how some things stick in your head.

He must have been having a really bad day when he wrote that.

To have such a reaction to something so trivial is surprising.

As said, he needs to get out more.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I probably call it 'snowboarding' or 'boarding' in equal measures. What I can never get my head around is 'riding.' It just sounds all wrong to me. I'm not sure exactly qualifies for something being 'rideable' but I tend to think the object needs to be either animate or mechanical in some way. You don't really 'ride' a surfboard or ride a chair. Snowboarding or just 'boarding' do seem far better verbs to me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Riding to me is what one does on a bike or a horse. I can just about stomach it in relation to snowboarding by people under the age of 35. But never in relation to skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can't say "riding"...I'm 50 years old. If I did, I'd sound like a right numpty. Neither, as a skier, do I "shred" the "pow"...if there's a fresh dump I ski off piste. I am never, ever (shoot me if I say it) "stoked".

It's also the reason why I can't say "uni" for university, because back when I went to uniVERSITY in the mid 80's, the only people who called it "uni" were those who went in the late 60s and early 70s and were therefore deeply uncool, wore corduroy trousers and tended to have beards(the men) or wore no bras, sported excessively long dangly earrings (the women) and had either appeared on University Challenge or presented early morning Open University programmes on BBC2.

Riding is what I do on my bike or occasionally on a horse.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm over 50. My riding buddies, who were there with me in the 1980s at the start of snowboarding, all ride snowboards. Perhaps you need a deep confidence in your sport to use the words. Call it what you like, it doesn't matter, I'll still be riding when you're all done.

--
The "uni" thing... I think the people using that term in 1979 were students. People over 21 would not have used the term I think. Hence it sounds odd to hear it from old people. I don't think I've ever used it since graduating.

Actually young people using the word "cool" sounds odd too; that word was uncool before it was cool again. I guess perhaps people should just get over it and go riding.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And "skateboarding" is still uncool, isn't it?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm nearly 50. I don't ride a snowboard (maybe I'm not good enough yet phil Laughing ) or a surfboard, but I do ride a wave.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's not about what you ride it's what you feel and experience.

Telemarking comes close but there is NOTHING to equal a snowboard in powder.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rogg, I'm heading towards 70 and my board is still my preference.
ski holidays
@Masque, maybe I should clarify, I do snowboard, but I wouldn't refer to it as riding, I snowboard (no abbreviation). I had skied for thirty five years on and off before converting, and might spend an odd day on skis if conditions dictate (one and a half days in the last 10 years), but don't really see a regression back to skis at any point.
latest report
I'm almost 50.....shhhhhh and I say I'm going snowboarding / boarding / riding. I would also say I ride a chair lift and ride in a Gondola just as I ride my snowboard / board.

Well, that was 30 seconds of my life wasted writing this post.......it's just a word / description. However it's said, we all get the jist.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy