Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The dangers of improvised sledging.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Le Dauphine is reporting two incidents:

In Les Deux Alpes one seasonaire was killed and two seriously injured after using a big orange cushion that was wrapped around a snow cannon as a sledge, they ended up hitting a tree at high speed. They all worked in a restaurant that had just had its Michelin star confirmed.

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2016/02/02/un-saisonnier-du-p-tit-polyte-se-tue-dans-un-accident-de-glisse

Meanwhile in Montalbert 4 people were injured (one seriously) on the snow front using dustbin bags as sledges:

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2016/02/02/ils-glissaient-sur-des-sacs-poubelles-quatre-blesses-dont-un-grave

Sad Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sledging is dangerous, even on proper sledges. Especially whilst inebriated. Worst injury in our family (badly smashed ankle) was from sledging. Whilst somewhat inebriated. rolling eyes Albeit on a proper sledge on a proper slope.

The need to wear a helmet is much greater sledging than skiing, I reckon.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I spent a Saturday afternoon in Bern hospital once at a conference.

Air Glaciers making a fortune with helos arriving every 20 mins or so. I asked one of the surgeons, "Skiing or snowboarding?".

"neither" she replied, "Sledging. Every time. Often fatal."

Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Poubelled back to Meribel from Toviere once when drunk. A seriously f******* stupid thing to do. I got away with it, two others in the group did not and needed medical attention.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Back in the mid 90s I stayed in Cervinia. One of the organised trips was up to a mountain restaurant (was it maybe called the Furgen?) on a skidoo, a raclette meal with an 'all the wine you can drink' policy which we took good advantage of. At the end of the night we were turfed out and given bin bags as the means of getting back to the resort.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When we took school trips, the sledging evening was always the most likely give injuries. There was a famous court case once where a resort was succesfully sued for not bashing the sledging run after a days skiiing. Skiers tracks in the slush had frozen solid and diverted a sledge into a tree causing very a serious injury. To compound the fact that sledging has inneffective braking and steering, it is often done in the dark and after alcohol.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yup, of all the people I've known really hurt themselves out here, most have been tobogganing Skullie. Skidooing off a piste-aduct parapet onto the road below works just as well, as does dicking around on the button-lift and letting it slam you face-first into its pylon.

When I worked as a Skiman in Avoriaz and finished late Saturday nights, we (the staff) all used to have great fun toboggan racing down the piste to Prodains for the last cable-car back up at midnight. Many incidents, but amazingly no-one seriously hurt Madeye-Smiley Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, …the story here reminds me of this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1135449/Teenage-girl-died-50mph-sledging-accident-tipped-place-Oxbridge.html
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
... The need to wear a helmet is much greater sledging than skiing, I reckon.

This. Actually they should wear them walking around the resort after midnight, I reckon, although that would no doubt make them SHOUT AT EACH OTHER even more loudly.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philwig, no, they cannot possibly shout any louder than some of them do already.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wonder how we ever survived?
I have sledged all over Europe and done the 'bin bag' and the 'tractor inner tube' versions too.
Mostly it was on ski trips where the tour operator offered the evening meal with lots of drinks and sledging.
I notice they don't offer these activities any more, because we're all too willing to sue if we get an injury. Or are we all too stupid to do it sensibly?

I remember going to Schladming in the early 1980's and the sledging evening was epic!
A coach with snow chains took you up to the very top of a mountain on a closed road and unloaded you and the sledges at a local restaurant.
Eat, drink, dance and sledge back down It was fantastic! It took about 40mins to sledge back down.

I know health & safety are important. But this stuff really used to be fun and now we all seem so bloody wet!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ouch! wrote:
... I know health & safety are important. But this stuff really used to be fun and now we all seem so bloody wet!

Where I come from, even kids had the gumption to get hold of a sledge, drink themselves into oblivion, and injure themselves.
They didn't even need tour operators. Bloody skiers, you're all so wet.

I'm sure you don't need a "tour operator" to do stuff like that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I wonder how we ever survived?

Many people survived the Black Death. doesn't mean it wasn't dangerous.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy