Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for a 2 Year Old

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Themasterpiece wrote:
@Mollerski, the 'modern parent' comment was a below the belt swipe .

In your opinion.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@vjmehra, apologies posts amended Smile

I took my youngest at 2.5 yrs old, but only as his 5 yr old sister was in ski school. Because his sister had skis and boots, he had to have them. So we hired them for him for the week. We took the smallest boots the shop had and the smallest skis (68cm I think) and we went and "played" in the snow every afternoon. This started off with him skiing between my legs as I held him on the nursery slope. If he got tangled I lifted him slightly. He loved it and didn't want to stop.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haha no worries, its not clear from my name Happy

That's exactly what we did the other day, albeit only for 30 mins or so on a flat bit of snow just by the hire shop, but she loved it too!

I'm just conscious that we're unlikely to find small enough boots next time round, we got very lucky in that one hire shop out of the 4 we tried had size 24 (which must be Mondo 14, although I can't find any online), which were perhaps slightly too big, but better than the 15's which were way to big!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My son's were way too big that year. I wouldn't worry too much. 15 is about as low as I've seen. Both mine have their own boots now as they ski every week in a fridge. He's now mondo 17.5 and nearly out of those. A mondo point each year is about the growth they have.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We did have the plastic skis which you wear with just snow boots but they're not really worth it on snow. Too much faff to put on and off, by the time they were on she wanted them off. They were really good for getting the feel of walking around on skis at home.

At just turned 3 we hired boots to fit with no problem but getting skis short enough was an issue. We took the shortest the shop had but she struggled with holding her snowplough herself. Later on in the week we noticed others on shorter skis. Next holiday a month later we made sure we had even shorter skis and she could then snowplough without me holding the tips together.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Could help holding the snow plough with an Easy wedge / Edgie wedgie type device as well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is fascinating.

I have a 4 month old, and I'm really excited at the prospect (in "x" number of years) of him having a go at skiing. (Caveat, I'm not wishing the years away, and I appreciate that there is more to life and childrearing than skiing etc, but this is a snowsports forum...).

Out of interest, when people have been playing around with their younger kids on the snow, were you on skis or walking? I know I've seen people in the past doing snowplough with the kid between their legs doing the same.

The only reason I ask is that I can't ski (can only snowboard) so have been playing with the idea of getting some beginner ski lessons for those early years.

My wife skis, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't, but I don't want her having all the fun!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Out of interest, when people have been playing around with their younger kids on the snow, were you on skis or walking? I know I've seen people in the past doing snowplough with the kid between their legs doing the same.

I've done both. On a nursery slope they will be slow enough for you to be of foot, running alongside.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree with above, unless you live near a ski hill don't bother buying as kids grow very fast, especially for boots. Some places even do kids skis for free when renting adults. Don't bother with the plastic ones.

As for boot size, don't worry too much if it's a bit big. Just put extra socks on. Far better slightly big and happy comfortable child than too small anyways. They're not exactly going to be doing anything technical anyways.

With my daughter, at first we had 2 of us without skis. She loved the magic carpet. One adult would get her into snow plow and let her go, and the other would be a few meters down hill to catch. If the slope is gentle enough then you could probably do it on your own, or with a harness. She also needed a clip on her skis until 3 1/2.

It would be wonderful if you ended up learning together Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Kingofthec, if you are a vaguely competent boarder, you can use 'reins' and a harness - very good because it gets the child into the right skiing position yet is safe. Or use the American hockey stick approach which I have used - and see the video on page 1 - this also is excellent since it gets them into the right position, and gets them used to turning, which MUST be sorted early. My 2 year started turning from day one, and this is essential for good discipline and high level of technique. My son is now 11 and boy can he hold an edge on boilerplate - up there with the adult professionals as they go through the gates.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kingofthec, Same boat here although a few years down the line now with 5 & 7 YOs. When you're on the bunny slopes, you're job as snowboarder is to act as "Target" - go down a bit, stop (toeside) and get ready to catch Jnr hurtling towards you in a furious snowplow. Once they're more confident and going down a piste, you become "Sweeper" and you'll practice your falling leaf like nobodys business as tail end Charlie, getting ready to sweep up dropped kit and small people.

You just have to hold out for that glorious day when they say "I wanna snowboard like daddy!"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Out of curiosity, on the snowboarding point...I'm half thinking of leaving my board at home this trip and just hiring some skis (I can ski a bit, although I'm 'better' if thats the right word at boarding).

My logic is that last trip I hardly got any boarding in anyway, its probably easier for me to strap on a pair of skis and just ski behind with some ski reins (also we are in Are Bjornen and it looks very flat with lots of drag lifts)!!!

Does that seem sensible or just stupid?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sensible!

The attachment that stops the skis crossing is worth getting for the little ones.

Amazing seeing the little smiles on their faces from the feeling of sliding but a wipeout ends that pretty sharpish!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The attachment that stops the skis crossing is worth getting for the little ones.

Yep, the reins are sitting on the floor right now and the tip connectors are currently in the post van on their way Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy