Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere with Esprit - Question?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
About to book La Rosiere with Esprit for me, wife (non-skier), 5 month old and 2 year old. Leaving on 28th Feb.

The choice has narrowed down to Chalet Camelia – (Ferme d’ Elisa Chalets) OR Chalet Le Braconnier. Seems like there is not much in it ??

Any advice or experience?

Does anyone have any bad experience of Esprit ? - I am only finding good reviews especially regarding staff and childcare. Too good to be true ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No problem with Esprit but there's not much for a non skier in LR. And that'll be quite a busy week - French school holidays. Following week much quieter.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mark250, we stopped at the Arnica in La Ros with them a few years ago, that was also part of the Ferme d'Elisa complex. Chalet was OK, a little basic as you'd expect but right on the side of the nursery slope. As @pam w, has said there's not a lot to La Ros so might not be a good choice for a non skier like your wife. Our first Esprit holiday was in Saas Fee as my wife doesn't ski and that had a lot more going on, especially if your wife is doing the child care bit? (Don't know what conditions are like in either at present).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mark250, We've been with Espirit every year since the kids were born, and their childcare has been excellent. But if it makes you feel better we had one bad experience at their hotel in St. Anton. We always make sure that the childcare service are in the building that we're staying in now, as that particular time, the snowclub and nursery was in a separate building and we lost stuff every day, culminating in being told once that the eldest hadn't come with shoes on that morning... SO HOW DID HE WALK THROUGH THE SNOW TO GET HERE THEN!?! Plus getting the kids ready for the transfer to the club was a nightmare in the morning, and the hotel was pretty knackered (water kept going off, comedy electrics). We did complain and the company did acknowledge that there were problems with the service at that hotel that year (the hotel manager was replaced shortly after we'd been there) and offered us a discount on the next booking.

But that trip was the exception. Every other time, including a couple of weeks ago, has been absolutely fine.
So Relax, Enjoy your trip and have fun. We've not been to La Roz with them but I'm pretty sure it'll be a great experience.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We used Esprit on several occasions when our kids were young. Esprit childcare is right up there, the quality of their accommodation was noticeably on the slide year on year however.
I visited La Ros last year, there ain't much going on. Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@mark250, We've been with Espirit every year since the kids were born, and their childcare has been excellent. But if it makes you feel better we had one bad experience at their hotel in St. Anton. We always make sure that the childcare service are in the building that we're staying in now, as that particular time, the snowclub and nursery was in a separate building and we lost stuff every day, culminating in being told once that the eldest hadn't come with shoes on that morning... SO HOW DID HE WALK THROUGH THE SNOW TO GET HERE THEN!?! Plus getting the kids ready for the transfer to the club was a nightmare in the morning, and the hotel was pretty knackered (water kept going off, comedy electrics). We did complain and the company did acknowledge that there were problems with the service at that hotel that year (the hotel manager was replaced shortly after we'd been there) and offered us a discount on the next booking.

But that trip was the exception. Every other time, including a couple of weeks ago, has been absolutely fine.
So Relax, Enjoy your trip and have fun. We've not been to La Roz with them but I'm pretty sure it'll be a great experience.

Also we stayed in that place a couple of seasons later by which time they had completely refurbished it and didn't experience any of those issues. it was also helped by us not needing the nursery as the sprites clubs were located in the hotel.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We went to La Ros for our first trip "en famille" in 2008. Stayed in Arnica. Chatting to other folk, there wasn't much difference across the various Esprit options in the resort.

Can't comment on non-skier options in La Ros as we both skied as much as possible before collapsing around 9pm after wrestling with tired kids a refuelling on a glass too many of the traditional Esprit chalet wine.

Childcare is generally very good. Our only complaints over 5 trips were getting Elder Daughter mixed up with another child on one trip (so we were getting the wrong progress reports) and an inability/unwillingness to deal with Younger Daughter's aversion to potatoes, so she was trying to ski in the afternoon on fresh air. (50% hit rate.)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't actually been with Esprit but I would have used them with kids the same age as yours if I wanted the childcare and/or their travel package.

We looked at Esprit in La Rosiere when ours were 5 and 3 (ie older than yours but still needing a bit of childcare) but ended up thinking their chalets were a bit basic so we went for luxury self catering inc pool and spa, Eurostar direct train and used ESF childcare/ski school combination for the mornings. We ended up still going to La Rosiere but not with Esprit. We booked Eurostar to Bourg St Maurice, ESF childcare and an apartment at Les Cimes Blanches (CGH MGM) through Peak Retreats and have used them ever since.

If I were your wife and not skiing I would want to have something active to do during the day such as swimming. If you booked the Eurostar with kids under 4 they would both travel free and you could therefore treat yourselves to first class (including complimentary food and wine) and the seats are wide enough to share with a child. The train is then a short taxi ride from the resort, whereas I assume if you get a flight package your children would be on a coach for three hours with no car seats.

Just an alternative view.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi we started our family skiing (kids 3 & 5) with Esprit and had great times, but haven't been with them for 10years or so as after year three the kids ski'd all day so no child care worries.
The Brac' and Ferme D'elisa are right next to each other so no difference in location (we'd stayed at both) - though IIRC the living room balcony on the Brac has the better south wards views. Ferme has several 'chalets' so lots more kids to mess up the kit in the garage. unfortunately some parents don't care whos kit their little ones have as long as they're off with the child care.

No doubt that times have moved on but when we stayed the Brac was run by a guy who was a chef where as the Ferme had pairs of 'barely out of teens' seasonaires, they were friendly and keen but had only done a preseason cook course. He had the imagination to discuss what the group would like and not stick rigidly to the menu card.
Also one year Esprit used the chalet as a lunch venue for the snow club ... not pleasant to share your chalet at lunch time with a bunch of other peoples un-rulely and in some cases rude children, then have child care staff not clear up after them - I would check with esprit which chalets they are using for lunches and avoid that especially if your wife is not skiing and so likely to be there ...

Also sounds like the perfect opportunity for your wife to try skiing -
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup, @mark250, thumbs up for Esprit in La Rosiere. Stayed there 2 or 3 times with young kids. It just works. As per others, there ain't a lot to do for a non-skier. My missus went snow-shoeing for a day once if that helps, and i guess Bourg is reachable on public transport.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Echoing others with a BIG +1 for Esprit. Childcare is brilliant and that is why we use them every year. If my kids were not having fun it would be a terrible week. We're on our 4th Esprit trip this year to Les Arcs. Accommodation and food is average, but I enjoy relaxing with dinner being made for me while the kids sleep just a few yards away.

Stayed in Bergonia twice in Ferme d’ Elisa Chalets. You can find my reviews here on SH and trip advisor. One year food and cleanliness could have been better but if you do experience that talk to the resort manager asap. The chalets are right on the nursery slope but your kids wont be skiing so that wont matter much. There is a small play area 'up the slope' and you can take the kids out on sledges.

Child care is in Ferme d’ Elisa Chalets but Braconier is a stones throw so do not lose too much sleep over that. I am sure you can nip between the two without getting all of your winter gear on.

Is La Ros suitable? Depends on the non-skier. Are they happy to relax with a book enjoying the views or do they want to shop, ice skate, swim, head up a gondola to join you for lunch, etc. If the latter then La Ros is fairly quiet and may not tick the boxes. There are a few nice walks, several shops and a small cinema. Any questions fire away.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy