Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryan Air - Boot Bag and Skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All - we're flying Stanstead - Turin on Sunday with Ryanair, and I'd just like to know if anyone has experience of taking skis + a boot bag and found it OK? We've paid the (frankly ludicrous) £80 ski carriage. On every other airline I've flown with, taking boots and skis hasn't been a problem, but I've heard horror stories in regard RA...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski Bag and Boot bag, will prob be treated as two check in items, you might be better checking their TCs but I think ski Carraige with RY, means one bag only
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
from their website "Fee charged per Item/ Per one way flight. Maximum weight 20kg"
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
LukeRibs wrote:
Hi All - we're flying Stanstead - Turin on Sunday with Ryanair, and I'd just like to know if anyone has experience of taking skis + a boot bag and found it OK? We've paid the (frankly ludicrous) £80 ski carriage. On every other airline I've flown with, taking boots and skis hasn't been a problem, but I've heard horror stories in regard RA...

You mustn't have flown with easyJet or BA as both of these would consider separate boot and ski bags as 2 pieces of hold baggage. Have you booked any other hold luggage? Ryanair's hand baggage allowance is fairly generous these days. You can have a large trolley bag and a smaller item. At EDI and STN I've never seen them weigh hand luggage. They also appear to turn a blind eye to the size of the smaller bag. According to the sizer it should be no more than handbag size but I've seen people take much larger bags on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LukeRibs wrote:

If you find £80 ludicrous, you could fly BA Club Europe. With an almost obscene baggage allowance, you can carry your skis free. Oh wait, even with the ludicrous £80 fee, Ryanair may just be cheaper. So maybe the ludicrous fee isn't so ludicrous.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I flew Ryanair last week with a double bag containing skis, boots and clothing. 20.9kg. Paid sports gear rate. No problems. Hope this helps.

snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gaza wrote:

You mustn't have flown with easyJet or BA as both of these would consider separate boot and ski bags as 2 pieces of hold baggage.

Easyjet skiing equipment fee allows for a ski bag and boot bag, increasing overall luggage allowance by 20kg iirc. Sometimes the check in staff don't realise this and have to check the terms before agreeing that the boot bag is included.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish wrote:
I flew Ryanair last week with a double bag containing skis, boots and clothing. 20.9kg. Paid sports gear rate. No problems. Hope this helps.

snowHead

Must say that you had the packing thing neatly stitched up when I was with you at Treviso. As a result, Ryanair does look more attractive to me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have had confirmation from the Ryanair desk at Liverpool airport that boot bag and skis are one ski item. This was operated by swissport for Ryanair. I have a photocopy of an email to them from a Tracey Lynch, who is a national accounts manager for Ryanair it states ' The ski SSR covers three ski items, (skis, boots and poles), so you don't need to add an additional SSR..... Max 20 kg, same with all sports equipment.

Hope this helps, I' m hoping not to use it, but sometimes people don't know what they are doing sadly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Chris Bish, Brilliant - thanks for the advice; will probably use this method...

@twoodwar, Would you be able to forward me a copy of this email? Or let me know via PM, who I need to write to in order to get one for myself, as I think a couple of people in the party don't have double bags...

I'm pretty sure I'm being overly cautious with all this - but I do like to plan for the worst and hope for the best!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @balernoStu. The easyJet website is as clear as mud - https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/sports-equipment

Quote:
What is small sports equipment?

Small Sports Equipment (items up to 20kg):

• Skis (including boots and poles)

It then goes on to explain the pooling possibilities:-

Quote:
1 hold bag and 1 small sports item

Total allowance of 2 items = 40kg total (20kg each) made up of 1 item of hold luggage and 1 item of small sports equipment. You may distribute weight between items but a single item cannot weigh more than 32kgs in total.

That is a very useful benefit as when Oscar and were in Tignes in December our double ski bag was 25kg and the other bag around 12kg.

It doesn't specifically state that Boot Bags can be carried in addition to the ski bag (but still needing to stick within the 20kg or pooled baggage limit) and it is this that leads to uncertainty. Given that you have done this (and EZY managed to lose your Boot Bag Evil or Very Mad ) you'd think it would make sense for them to be explicit in the FAQs. Another email to Carolyn might be necessary. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 2-02-16 16:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went last week. Two fifteen kilo bags. Boots in one with some kit and clothes, skis and other clothers in the other.

Checked in at Stansted, was told me ski bag was oversize luggage and told to take it the appropriate bay - no extra charge.

At Treviso at teh way back they asked if my large double skibag with skis and snowboards all over it was sports equipment. I said no with a big smile on my face. They can't make you open it.

They took it as oversize baggge. - no extra charge.

I do this every time with Ryanair.

If they start charging me for skis, I'll use another airline.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Excuse thread crashing...

I am looking to get some ski boots before my next trip having previously hired them. Are there ski boot bags that fit the carry on size for hand luggage of most airlines or will I need to put them in the hold?

I normally fit all my gear into one case at about 15k and don't mind carrying boots in hand luggage if I can get away with it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gaza, true enough, they don't mention the boot bag, just that ski equipment includes boots. Be interesting to see what response you get from easyjet.

I have managed one short trip with ski equipment and hand luggage, no separate hold bag.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike-H wrote:
I am looking to get some ski boots before my next trip having previously hired them. Are there ski boot bags that fit the carry on size for hand luggage of most airlines or will I need to put them in the hold?

I normally fit all my gear into one case at about 15k and don't mind carrying boots in hand luggage if I can get away with it.

I put my boots in to a standard size trolley bag that fits in BA, easyJet and Ryanair sizers. I've carried these on Ryanair and easyJet. There was a post on here a few months back where someone had found what looked to be like a laptop bag that boots fitted in perfectly.

This claims to comply but it is a bit too deep for EZY and FR as it is 41cm x 41 cm x 27cm while the allowances are:-

FR: 55 x 40 x 20 cm
EZY: 56 x 45 x 25 cm

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 2-02-16 16:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Mike-H, I find ski boots also fit in a 30l rucksack, well within hand luggage size, and have done so on some occasions.

@Gaza I think I've seen a bag advertised as such, a ski boot airline hand luggage bag.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 2-02-16 16:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
They can't make you open it.

I would beg to differ. While they cannot make you open they certainly could ask you to open it and if you refused, they could deny you and/or the bag carriage.
ski holidays
@Gaza, @balernoStu, Thanks for the replies.
snow report
@Mike-H, found it - http://www.ekosport.co.uk/lange-basic-duo-16-p-1-29279.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAxMG1BRDFmu3P3qjwmeMBEiQAEzSDLi4UMrq2Nktf89CGAcy54FYKMM37E9SWcct1eszrfUwaAkUM8P8HAQ

There are other suppliers but ekosport seem to be the cheapest.
snow conditions
Size - Unique - How useful Smile
Looks ideal though. Used Ekosport before. Great prices. Thanks again.
snow report
As an alternative cabin bag i have

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/SnoKart-Kabin-Ski-Boot-Bag-2016-31253.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAxMG1BRDFmu3P3qjwmeMBEiQAEzSDLjyHJBf-nngEgNMNOimZun7ercuQ6fGhSZwRCvQQqlsaAm6E8P8HAQ

Is a roller bag , doubles as a rucksack ,meets the guidelines and takes my boots, gloves, sallolpettes, base layers, etc plus my laptop or tablet.
latest report
That looks great but is tad pricey at £96.

Size:
24.5cm deep x 36cm wide x 53cm high. Aircraft cabin carry-on friendly!
Weight:
approx 2.9kgs

Weighs a bit too. If the airlines start weighing carry on bags at nearly 3kg plus boots and all the gear you carry you must surely be over 10kg.
ski holidays
Yes mike you will be over 10kgs with boots and kit plus laptop hence its great its a wheely.

I love the rucksack ability when pulling along the double rollerbag

We are normally on BA or easyjet so no issue (especially with ba and the 23kg hand luggage limit)
ski holidays
Gaza wrote:

I would beg to differ. While they cannot make you open they certainly could ask you to open it and if you refused, they could deny you and/or the bag carriage.

Security can ask you to look in your bags, not airlines.
snow report
@harvsurrey, Looks perfect. May have to invest when I finally get round to getting my boots sorted. Normally fly with EasyJet, Jet2 or Flybe.
ski holidays
Gaza wrote:

Security can ask you to look in your bags, not airlines.

Ryanair.com wrote:

8.5 Right of search

8.5.1 For reasons of safety and security we may request that you permit a search and scan of your person and a search, scan or x-ray of your baggage. If you are not available, your baggage may be searched in your absence for the principal purpose of determining whether you are in possession of or whether your baggage contains any item described in Articles 8.3 above or 8.10 below.

8.5.2 If you are unwilling to comply with such request we may refuse to carry you and your baggage. In the event of that search or scan causes damage to you, or an x-ray or scan causes damage to your baggage, we shall not be liable for such damage unless due to our fault or negligence.

As I said, they can ask (dressing it up as a security concern if they like) but if you refuse then they could easily refuse you carriage.

Subsequently claiming that they used 'security' as an excuse because they suspected you were carrying sports equipment is unlikely to be successful as they would then would invoke - 7.1.2.6 "you have not paid the applicable fare, taxes, fees or charges;"
snow report
In which case I'd tell them they were not sports equipment, they were sculptures. I stand naked on planks of wood on the snow and get photographed.

At the end of the day the worst they can do is charge me extra. I must have flown with them ten times in the last few years and haven't paid for skis yet. i never take more than my paid up baggae allowance. If they start charging me, I'll start using KLM which leaves from my local airport and works out the same price once they've put their ridiculous ski tax on.

The last thing they want it a row with a customer and opening up baggage in front of a busy queue at Stansted at peak time. Sensibly, they take my oversize bag, which weighs no more than 15kg, and put it on their plane at no extra cost. They know exactly what's inside but don't challenge me. The whole thing is done with smiles on everybody's faces, theirs and mine.
latest report
I just Tweeted Ryanair, and they confirmed that if you purchase the ski baggage option, then that includes one ski bag AND one boot bag — as long us under 20Kg in total.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cameronphillips2000, Great tip, thanks. Will save me £50 return next time Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy