Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmageddon 13th & 14th Feb 2016 :)

Poster: A snowHead
@davidof, what she did was to avoid the steep hill (around 17%) for 100m which you would not want to reverse up she took a less steep route so she was coming from bottom left of image (if that makes sense), then after dropping clients off, rather than turn left and go down the hill which can be a tad dangerous as there's the main road at the bottom and you don't want to come sliding out on to that, she tried to do a 3-5 point turn to come back down the way she came up, but got stuck with front wheels spinning as you see in the picture.

But yes there was a bit of inexperience going on, which is what this thread basically has at its core.

Though I'm sure we've all been there, and I was close today deciding on going up the steep hill and only just made it, as temps were plus 2 and very wet and slippery unlike cold fresh snow.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
@ansta1, that's a Sunday, so you should be OK.

Indeed Pam, just the fog and snow to worry about, doesnt look like Chambery had the best of Saturdays yesterday.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
With a private transfer you can let somebody else worry about the snow. Fingers crossed you actually get into Chambery....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never failed to get in over the last 17 years and only failed to get out once. Probably shooting myself in the foot. Fog is usually only an issue in the morning, snow if it drops on Chambery is another thing, but yes Transfer driver will deal with the roads and snow and whatever happens i am sure we will be there before the folks on the TO transfer coaches arrive.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Next Saturday does look like it could be a lot worse than yesterday. A lot more traffic. Worse weather. My niece and family are leaving on Thursday after school to drive down to my place, as she has Friday off. So they should get there Friday. They have good snow tyres, he's a dab hand with chains, and they've done the drive before, so should be OK.

Meanwhile Storm Imogen is brewing up out of my window down in Emsworth. Gale force 9 imminent (not far off that now) force 10 later. I'm just a few metres from the sea but there are no flood warnings - and the Environment Agency have become very good at tidal flooding warnings, so I can sleep soundly tonight.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I assume travelling in on a Fri and out on a Sun, as I may be, is (slightly) better (for France next week)? Anyone know if Italy is bad next week, I see they're not on holidays?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
One of the very busy weekends coming up and looks like the Snow Gods are being a tad mischievous - still early but.......................

Mon 01 Feb, 16
17:42

snow line at valley levels but seems more like Sunday and early next week that will be affected.

worth taking note if you are heading to resort next weekend.

Having called this one right I agree that next Saturday looks interesting.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I assume travelling in on a Fri and out on a Sun, as I may be, is (slightly) better (for France next week)?

Far, far, better. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hope it's not too bad; leaving early Friday afternoon, hoping to arrive in Les Arcs at 7am on Saturday... First father/daughter trip so trying to avoid disasters!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@daveyladboy, good time to arrive. You've sorted out access to your accommodation?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@daveyladboy, @pam w, means can you get in before Noon as often on change over / transfer day you might have to wait to get the keys especially if renting a commercial appartment. Hotels, chalets not too bad if you let them know etc
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've arrived early before, and not had access to an apartment until 4pm or later. There wasn't even anyone at reception to give us a key. We hadn't expected to be early, and we found plenty to do so it wasn't a problem, but if we'd arrived in the morning expecting to be able to get changed to go skiing we'd have been disappointed. I'd plan on parking up and having easy access to your ski gear.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

We've arrived early before, and not had access to an apartment until 4pm or later.

Yes, 4 or even 5 pm is very normal for access to accommodation, to give time for all the cleaning etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

We've arrived early before, and not had access to an apartment until 4pm or later.

Yes, 4 or even 5 pm is very normal for access to accommodation, to give time for all the cleaning etc.

Our keyholder organises the cleaning for over 150 apartments owned by different people and scattered around the resort. Given that some people don't leave until 10am that gets a very short time to get around and do a decent job. When it is a busy transfer like half term, it can be a nightmare.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
High season all goes south re timings as they don't bother to take on all the "necessary" extra staff to clean for the busy three to four weeks. But like I said chalets and hotels tend to be more flexible allowing you to stash your luggage and change to hit the slopes.
Best of luck!
snow report
The chalet are kindly letting us in, giving us breakfast and letting us stow our gear. We're planning on changing and going straight out skiing - our room isn't available until 3pm.
snow report
That sounds ideal, @daveyladboy, that Saturday should be by far the quietest day on the slopes.
snow report
@daveyladboy, result!
snow conditions
We're in resort. Journey down from Reims was really good, no trouble on the N90, slower around moutiers and Bourg, but no jams. Was some weather about, didn't start snowing properly until after BsM, put socks on at the St Foy turning but probably could have managed on winters. Can't wait to get out tomorrow, looks cracking.
ski holidays
Forecast for 3V seems to suggest snow overnight Friday with FL rising Saturday morning before falling again Saturday pm. Potentially could be just rain for people leaving and for those of us arriving I would think the earlier the better. Currently planning on driving all Friday night to try and get up the hill on Saturday morning. Toying with the D1504 from the A42 to miss out St Exupery and the joys of the A43. Decisions, decisions.

If we can all get there in one piece next Tuesday and Wednesday could be promising.....
ski holidays
Quote:

I would think the earlier the better

Definitely. If you can get up before, say, 10 am (and can get some kind of access to somewhere to change for skiing and leave your car) you could ski (or sit in a nice cafe watching the rain). If that's not possible it's best to arrive much later, after 6 pm.

Rain isn't necessarily good news for driving. If there's snow on the road and it turns slushy, gets mega-slippy.
snow conditions
I am watching every weather thread and forecast site there is. BHX to CMF on Sunday afternoon, then PT to Val D'isere.

Every run changes the forecast (Tom Jones Syndrome)..... Well at least its distracting me from other stuff.
snow report
It's beginning to look very snowy on Friday night and Saturday, in many places. Would be ironic if the snowiest Saturday of the season is the beginning of the UK half term and Paris holidays.

@ansta1, pack some sandwiches and drinks in case the transfer takes forever.
latest report
pam w wrote:
It's beginning to look very snowy on Friday night and Saturday, in many places. Would be ironic if the snowiest Saturday of the season is the beginning of the UK half term and Paris holidays.

@ansta1, pack some sandwiches and drinks in case the transfer takes forever.

My eyes and ears are now closed to any possible problems. The flight from CMF wto BHX will depart on time which means our flight from BHX will depart on time, i will have a good flight and a lovely scenic trip down the valley into CMF. The shed will be quiet and our luggage will come through quickly. The PT driver will help us with our gear for the 2 minutes walk to the air conditioned mercedes minibus, where we will have cold drinks and snacks provided on our 2 hours seamless transfer to the number 1 rated (tripadvisor) hotel in Val D'isere. We will arrive before the TO bus and will have our pick of hotel staff on hand to check us in to our very spacious rooms. I will plug in my heated boot bag and get my 130flex atomics supplied and fitted by CEM in to start warming ahead of first lifts on Monday morning. We will then retire to the bar for a pre dinner drink before sitting down to the 5 course meal, followed by a quick after dinner drink and then retire early for a good nights sleep.

What can possibly go wrong?
latest report
^ haha, I look forward to someone quoting that at you sometime on Sunday Wink
ski holidays
@ansta1, Laughing When I read "I will plug in my heated...." I had mentally added "rollers".

Sorry! One of my friends, a small girl, took some Carmen heated rollers when she and another friend did a Greyhound tour of the US in about 1968. The other friend, rather stronger and more capable, ended up carrying them most of the time.

..... boot bag, of course. Much more to the point!!

Have a good trip

but I'd still take some sandwiches
ski holidays
@Pam_W,

Thanks.

and by the way we will, Mrs Ansta1 never ever travels without supplies.
latest report
@pam w, I didn't think Paris were starting their hols until the following weekend?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have an item on our packing list now "Snowmaggedon Kit"

Now what shall we put in it.......

(Driving from Calais to Les Menuires starting 0200hrs Saturday morning)
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
@pam w, I didn't think Paris were starting their hols until the following weekend?

It's Zone A from the 13th - Besançon, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon, Grenoble, Limoges, Lyon, Poitiers.

Zone C(Paris) the week after.
snow report
Must be the next week too then. First week of March. I thing Paris always has two weeks.
latest report
@pam w, Sat 20th Feb to Sat 5th March.
snow report
@pam w, all 3 zones get 2 weeks (why would the Parisitwats be special?)

Oh, uh, that.
ski holidays
Delayed at the tunnel due to the unexpected amount of travellers.
Hello Eurotunnel did you not sell the tickets according to your train capacities?? Ohh where have all these people come from 😠.
ski holidays
Hope you get off soon, @Jerby. Friday is always busy. I think lots of private schools are off?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Hope you get off soon, @Jerby. Friday is always busy. I think lots of private schools are off?

Ours isn't but does finish at 12:30.

My eldest took in a pillow as apparently they will be watching films today Confused
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
pam w wrote:

Ours isn't but does finish at 12:30.

My eldest took in a pillow as apparently they will be watching films today Confused

And god forbid we should take them out of school for the odd day....

Whoops sorry wrong thread! Toofy Grin
latest report
@NickyJ, You get what you pay for .... Or not as it would appear!

@ansta1, Crikey. One of those threads is plenty.
latest report
jonathancarty wrote:
We have an item on our packing list now "Snowmaggedon Kit"

Now what shall we put in it.......

(Driving from Calais to Les Menuires starting 0200hrs Saturday morning)

do you want me to lead the way or to follow you? I hope we can get on an earlier ferry though and leave you to your own devices.
ski holidays
I see the snowploughs are out on the A40 into Geneva.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy